Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Do you "play what you love" or "love what you play"?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Flat6Driver, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

Jan 14, 2013
    DC Burbs

That's a fun one, and has good breaks. Van's stuff has a lot going on because he had a lot of talented folks to work with him so I have read, but that is the kind of detail I'm referring to. Rather than play the gist of it, some folks will belabor those tiny points though nobody listening could possible remember them. Leave out the signature part from Wonderful tonight and you might as well not do it.

2. richiek65

richiek65 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

There's a song or 2 in my band's setlist that i really don't care to listen to, but are a hoot to play

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017

3. bobspez

bobspez Tele-Meister

If on my own, I play what I love. If with others I have to play some of what they love.

viccortes285 and Flat6Driver like this.

4. tonytrout

tonytrout Friend of Leo's

Mar 19, 2003
    Brasstown/Murphy, NC
    The answer for me is "both" - I play what I love and I love what I play. :)

Jakedog likes this.

5. DougM

DougM Tele-Holic

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    You have to learn a riff that a song is built around, but when it comes to soloing, then improvise and add your own thing to the tune. The great thing about concerts in the sixties and seventies is the way they'd stretch out and improvise during solos instead of being a human juke box and playing the same 8 bar solo note for note every time, which is far too common these days. But many audiences today seem to demand it, because they're so lacking in imagination.

6. viccortes285

viccortes285 Tele-Meister

Jan 14, 2017
    Phoenix
    Being retired I play what I want now and love it.

4pickupguy likes this.

7. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    When I had to play to make a pay check it was a different mind set. What jukebox gets to have taste in music? Playing covers all night was better than starving. Having come from bands that played mostly original material, it was creatively soul killing. Now we play what ever covers we like and do a fair amount of original tunes. If we are entertaining then it doesnt matter.
    I guess HOW you play matters more than WHAT you play whether your a cover band or not.

viccortes285 likes this.

8. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Tele-Afflicted

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    I play what I am able to play...and I rarely play a cover "correctly", so everyone better be ready to give me some artistic licence.

If I am able to control what the band does, I play what I like (i.e., originals and obscure covers).

9. beagle

beagle Tele-Afflicted

Jul 20, 2010
    Yorkshire
    I play what I like, but don't always like what I play. Such is life.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.