Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Do you "play what you love" or "love what you play"?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Flat6Driver, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Grux

Grux Tele-Holic

Jan 10, 2017
    Clarksville, TN
    I love to play, but I don't play stuff I don't like I don't care what the circumstances. That defeats the purpose of me playing guitar, if I don't like it why the hell would I play it? You want to request songs all night, hire a DJ. If you hire me you'll get what I play, if you don't like it pay me and I'll leave and never come back.

boris bubbanov likes this.

2. Reggie77

Reggie77 Tele-Meister

Jul 16, 2017
    Connecticut
    I'll play stuff I don't like if I'm paid a lot haha but that's it

3. Reggie77

Reggie77 Tele-Meister

Jul 16, 2017
    Connecticut
    I enjoy either experience... both have their merits

4. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    I'm a literal whore. I play to get paid and don't care what it is. If I get to play something I like or enjoy, that's just gravy.

richiek65 likes this.

5. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    Playing things I don't like but someone else does has opened new channels of inspiration at times...so, the answer is (as said already) YES! :)

Flat6Driver and soulgeezer like this.

6. Sjnoring

Sjnoring Tele-Afflicted

Jan 26, 2017
    USA
    I usually can't copy things note for note so what I do is try and it ends up coming out as something else. Guitar magazines and popular culture journalists ask me stupid pretentious questions about how I found my voice. Good Lord. This is the secret to my style: failure.

7. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Reston, Virginia
    At this point in my life, I'll turn 70 on October 6th....I have no desire to do month long tours in a van....and then it depends on the gig....it has to be something I really enjoy playing....it must be FUN!!! I've done gigs for the money, some were really great and some really sucked.....so if it's a group of killer players and I like the way they rock.....then I'll do 3 day outings , think a long weekend.....that I could do....

RJ

8. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    I play what I can sing.

Flat6Driver likes this.

9. Sjnoring

Sjnoring Tele-Afflicted

Jan 26, 2017
    USA
    I would call that a professional.

10. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    I play songs that I write and inflict them on a paying audience along with covers that I like to do the same with. People seem to like us, so I'm happy.

telemnemonics likes this.

11. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Holic

Apr 12, 2014
    California
    I seldom play a song note for note because

a. by the time I was good enough to do that I'd been making up my own arrangements for years;
    and
    b. I usually can't remember anyway;
    and
    c. In the settings I play that doesn't matter much or even make sense.

I admire my friends who play in a great Lynard Skynard (?) tribute band. I've driven my guitar player friend who is in that band crazy, because he wants everything note for note and I don't play that way.

And I probably couldn't play in a tribute band.

I've done everything from play bass or rhythm guitar (not very well) on jazz gigs where we're reading charts, to acoustic solo, duo and trio gigs, to blues, rock, and country bands. All I do now is play in church (where the only important thing is helping the congregation sing) and jam sessions (where usually I bring my harps and just try to make other people sound good). I'd like to do some acoustic solo or trio gigs again.

Whether and how much of the note for note thing you do depends on the gig and who you're playing with. But I'm not very good at it.

12. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Holic

Apr 12, 2014
    California
    Yes, style is part desire and part limitations.

13. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    After a bit if a detour with a diva (control freak) singer we are playing what we shine on. A few original selections along with long time faves filtered through our special brand of "cant leave well enough alone". Took an entire year to heal the band after a disasterous wrong turn. Its fun again.

Minimalist518 likes this.

14. viccortes285

viccortes285 Tele-Meister

Jan 14, 2017
    Phoenix
    I play what I enjoy hearing, at almost 68, bands are not what I seek anymore. Just want to be the best I can and love it. It never gets old.

Matt G likes this.

15. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Meister

Aug 18, 2015
    Seligenstadt, Germany
    I think I fit in several camps....back in the 80s/90s I used to do songs my/our own songs, but I simply don't have the energy and/or time to do that nowadays...
    Some of the songs I play now are rather obscure, some are well-known songs.
    We do have arrangements, but we usually never stick to the original note-by-note.

I also like to jam a lot, but I get bored if it's the usual Long Train Running, Mustang Sally or (yikes) Sweet Home Alabama etc.
    It may be more difficult to get through a song I don't know, but as long as I have another guitarplayer or the bassist around to watch his/her fingers and maybe a minute of talking before the song starts....Anyway, I rather have the song a bit...edgy than playing the same old s... over and over again....the audience in the clubs usually don't mind, they know it's an open stage night.

viccortes285 likes this.

16. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    I haven't played out in years and rarely play with other people anymore, so I definitely play what I love. And I rarely love what I play because I sort of suck, but every now and then I hit a combination of chords and notes and it all sounds and feels perfect and that's what keeps me coming back. I play guitar like I used to play golf. I was never good enough to play to a good score over a full round (only broke 90 a few times), but I'm good enough to hit a few dead solid perfect shots and know 'em when I hit 'em and they feel so good that if I hit a handful of them in a round, I'm satisfied with the round, regardless of the score. I'm like that with guitar too - a pretty good feel for rhythm but no melodic sense at all, but when I hear something that's right, I know it, and every now and then, and a few times during each session I grab a guitar and play, I hit that. Just a short run of pure inspiration. And it'e enough for me to stay at it for 40 years (on an off, with long periods of off)... I rarely inflict it on anyone else, but I keep loving it.

P Thought likes this.

17. bigbean

bigbean Tele-Afflicted

Feb 6, 2013
    Hartville OH
    I love why I play.
    epi in case.jpg

P Thought and viccortes285 like this.

18. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I wear cargo shorts and I play guitar, I've long ago forgotten why I do either, and anybody that don't like either, don't have to look or listen.

P Thought likes this.

19. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I used to know a guy who wouldn't do covers period, he only did his own music. He musta learned song writing from George Jones singing, cause every song had at least three key changes. Why? Did it add it anything to the song? Did it create cyclones on this continent? No, it just made it sound like...................WHHHHAAAATTTTT?

20. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    Is that what they are now talent shows? How awful. I like to play. My band plays covers and we do the best we can but they're not perfect by any means. We learned Wild Night the Van Morrison tune last night. I've been reviewing it today there's a lot of single note lines, more than I played last night.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.