Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Do you play as poorly as you think you do...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by soulgeezer, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Richie-string

Richie-string Tele-Meister

To tell the truth i just don't know anymore. I used to get the occasional good day when it sounded good and that would give me the momentum to keep going all the other days when it didn't sound good. But i honestly don't remember the last day when i put the guitar away with that feel good feeling. It just gets put away with that deflated, that was a waste of time, feeling. The thing is also know that i'm being honest about my skills rather pessimistic.

2. Red_Gloria

Red_Gloria TDPRI Member

May 18, 2015
    Bristol, UK
    When I started on the guitar I was sh1t. After a bit of effort I was really crap. For a long time I worked my way up to crap. Now I've achieved mediocre I'm finally getting somewhere with this music thing.

Richie-string likes this.

3. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Tele-Afflicted

Jun 18, 2009
    Hogtown,KY.
    No matter how well you play,just go on youtube or,maybe even locally, & see a host of
    players that will make you want to take every guitar you own, drag them into a bigg
    pile & sacrifice them in an act of immolation. :cry:

4. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 26, 2003
    Augusta, Maine
    Better than some, worse than others. So what else is new?

5. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Jan 23, 2007
    Denmark
    Honestly , I have no idea what Im doing , sometimes I dont even know the name of the chords anymore
    But still , Im able to sing and play good enough to front a band , and people seem happy.
    I would never play anything other than basic music , frankly , I wouldnt know how
    I have never played the same solo twice in my life , usually Im able to come up with something on the spot , and sometimes I even impress myself , LOL
    It just seems to work out ok......

william tele likes this.

6. Dean James

Dean James Tele-Meister

May 13, 2016
    Podunk, New England
    "Well, I play guitar a little."

"Really, what style?"

"Aspirational."

Richie-string and P Thought like this.

7. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    I don't know, but my post count is certainly evidence of sucking, I could be playing guitar instead of being on the net.

8. SURF

SURF Tele-Holic

Jan 23, 2010
    Moscow
    I don't have a dog.

Anyway I will continue playing.

9. draggindakota

draggindakota TDPRI Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Lehigh Acres, Florida
    Picture this: You've beem learninf a certain song, doesn't matter what song really. Sitting in yiur bedroom, jamming with youtube it sounds pretty good, passable even. You can llay it without the youtube track and people actually recognize the song.

Then one day you decide to drop by Guitar Center to check out a guitar you've been GASing over. You get it off the wall, plug it into a convenient amp and start to play the aforementioned song...except you've forgotten every chord, every change. What comes out sounds like a cat getting tazered on top of a guitar.

Yeah, that's me.

william tele likes this.

10. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Tele-Afflicted

I only sound nice in my head.

paratus likes this.

11. outbreak

outbreak Tele-Holic

Dec 28, 2007
    Australia
    Depends on who i'm playing for, I'm good enough that for a non guitarist I can impress them but if i'm playing with other serious guitarists I'll probably look very mediocre. I really need to learn some actual music theory one of these days.

12. paratus

paratus Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Michigan
    That's me on a good day!:p

13. Minimalist518

Minimalist518 Tele-Holic

Mar 5, 2017
    Albany
    Yes and no. I’m a largely self-taught, intuitive player. For what I do, I think I’m pretty good and I have had some really nice compliments on my playing by other players.
    But I am far from satisfied. I’d like to be more relaxed into it without falling back on a bag of tricks, if that makes sense. I’d like to get to the point where I can leap into the unknown with more confidence, even if that confidence is occasionally misplaced

14. Grux

Grux Tele-Holic

Jan 10, 2017
    Clarksville, TN
    I'm never satisfied with where I'm at, and I hope to keep it that way. I'd say I'm above average, but in no way spectacular. I think if someone were to say they are happy where they are, they're done growing (and may even regress) as a player. I set the bar high for myself and I'm constantly reaching.

Richie-string and Minimalist518 like this.

15. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

Jun 11, 2009
    Minnesota
    I'm never satisfied either, but that's just the will be be better. I once heard a recording a friend made, and I asked, "Who's that? These guys are pretty good." He said, "That's you, dumba$$!"

Anode100 and Grux like this.

16. Area51

Area51 Tele-Meister

Nov 4, 2016
    New Mexico
    I'm better than 99% of the other guitarist I ever play with. What I don't get is how that 1% is 1000000% better than me?

My biggest weakness is playing, especially solo(!, not a solo), in front of other people. In a band setting it takes me a couple of songs to get over this and get in the groove. However, if I go into GC and pickup a guitar I'm like a deer in front of headlights.

Minimalist518 likes this.

17. Linkslover

Linkslover TDPRI Member

Mar 16, 2017
    Chicago
    I am probably better than i think, but that's primarily because when you do something for more than 40 years, it's hard not to attain at least some minimal level of competence.

I know I'm bit very good because I've heard tapes of myself and everyone i play with is better than me (but then again, i must not be too horrible because they do play with me. Of course, they could just be super tolerant).

And, i very rarely hear "That was really good."

18. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

Jul 26, 2008
    Sedalia, MO
    I ****ing hope not...

19. Billnchristy

Billnchristy Tele-Meister

Sep 21, 2017
    Georgia

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.