Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Do you play as poorly as you think you do...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by soulgeezer, Sep 27, 2017.

1. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Tele-Afflicted

Sep 2, 2016
    Houston, TX
    I truly believe that at its best music is an expression of one's personality and mood can definately effect it.

When I'm angry my improvisations will tend to show it. If I'm sad, some darkness may come through.
    When I'm happy I always rush the beat!

Just kidding about rushing, but I think I understand why that happens to you, and I think it's pretty normal.

From interviews with, and a few personal meetings with players I've found that my favorite players are also likable people. Some of my least favorite players musically, seem to be less likable people as well.

We are all, simply expressing "ourselves" right?

Frodebro and Hammerdog like this.

2. JustABluesGuy

Sep 2, 2016
    Houston, TX
    One of the most important things I ever learned was to play less! As a mentor of mine once told me, "You don't have to fill 'every' space."

It was excellent advice.

teletimetx and El Tele Lobo like this.

3. JustABluesGuy

Sep 2, 2016
    Houston, TX
    Hang in there! It's none of my business, but have you sought out any profesional help for your funk? There's no shame in depression, and there is help available if that is the case.

Again, it's none of my business, but I hate to see anyone suffer unnecessary.

Telecasterless likes this.

4. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Tele-Afflicted

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    I do not think I have an immense amount of talent. I'm not shaking any trees that haven't been shaken before--and shaken better.

I don't adapt to playing covers very well. I would rather play originals, and when I do play covers, I (intentionally or not) always end up putting my own flavor/color on the performance...thus, if I have to play with a cover group, they better not expect a facsimile of the original recording. I aspire to playing to the spirit of the song, rather than any and every string squeak and nuance of the original...that colors my opinion of myself, and I think it colors other people's opinions of my playing.

However, if people come in with the mindset of, "Lemme hear some music...", they generally enjoy what I do.

When I listen to recordings of my playing, I definitely hear every error or every weak spot within the song; However, I also realize I'm usually able to perform the Sounds in my head...and that makes me happy.

So while I aspire to mediocrity, I don't completely disappoint myself.

JustABluesGuy likes this.

5. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Meister

Dec 6, 2012
    Australia
    As someone said, the tape doesn't lie. I really do make the mistakes that I thought I was making.

Then again, people who understand music have told me I'm an OK player. And I get compliments from pretty girls. And occasionally I'll record some practice and nail it.

For what it's worth, about five years ago I was really frustrated with my playing, so I pulled my head out of my backside and started learning more music theory (encouraged by chaps like our own Larry F). These days, I can confidently say that I'm able to learn things faster, understand them better, and identify what I need to do in order to fix a given issue . . . so my playing is still a moving target, and I'm improving.

I don't think I'll ever impress musicians with my technical skills, but I seem to have a little more luck when it comes to entertaining people. And I certainly do entertain myself, which is all I ever set out to do.

El Tele Lobo and JustABluesGuy like this.

6. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

Feb 5, 2012
    South Louisiana

7. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

Oct 10, 2010
    Twangers Medows USA
    Was pretty good in the 70s, 80s, 90s but at age 68, not so good anymore. My hands are shot!

8. TwangToInfinity

TwangToInfinity Tele-Holic

May 2, 2013
    Twangville
    i dont play to be good really, i play for entertainment.

i do admire and marvel at great players tho i think theyre awesome and i love being a fan!

i think my playing is pretty fair for what i put into it,

i believe you get what you put into something.

however imo it is important to be honest and objective about oneselfs methods and expectations when it involves developing skills

9. roger@pennyflic

roger@pennyflic TDPRI Member

Aug 5, 2013
    melbourne
    El Tele Lobo and dr_tom like this.

10. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    I have no idea. My friends occasionally say I'm pretty good, but they may just be being nice.

11. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    So, D minor?

12. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 18, 2013
    West O' Philly, PA
    From every thing I've read thus far, I must be the best axe man here (except for Jakedog).:D

13. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    Well, duh!

14. edvard

edvard Tele-Holic

May 15, 2016
    Bremerton, WA
    Until what I hear in my head comes out my fingers at will, I will not consider myself a "good" player. Bad notes, out of key, "lost" on the fretboard, you name it, I'm plagued by it. When I first started playing, I mastered the blues scale in all it's boxes, but never quite grasped "keys" and never went beyond. Hasn't changed much...

Tried many times to join or start a band, but the stars never lined up, so sometime in the early '90s I got a Tascam Porta-05 and a drum machine, a down-tune pedal (until I got a proper bass) and a crappy Radio Shack microphone, wrote and recorded about 2 albums worth of crap just to get it out of my system. All the music I wrote was purposely done, nothing improvised or 'on the fly'. When I got an idea in my head, I plucked notes until I worked it out (took some time to do that), then practiced it for a few hours, sometimes days before putting it to tape. I struggle to come up with half an idea these days, and haven't recorded anything since about '95 (interestingly enough, that's the year I got married...)

These days, my lovely wife is more tolerant of my goofy hobby, and gives me space to just play my guitar or make an attempt at building one, but I still haven't recorded anything worth a sniff, and I know for a fact I don't have half the musicianship it takes to survive in anything but maybe a punk rock trio, and that's pushing it. I'm still working on improving though, so there's hope yet!

TL;DR: I play poorly. I used to be better, but not much. I need practice.

Nubs likes this.

15. deech54

deech54 Tele-Meister

Jul 31, 2014
    nicaragua
    I'm a big fish in a very small pond here. But I know.....

16. markjames

markjames TDPRI Member

Mar 27, 2017
    UNITED KINGDOM
    I certainly do.! ;-)

17. Kerberos

Kerberos Tele-Meister

Nov 27, 2016
    Long Island
    Yeah, I suck, but I have so much fun trying. Same goes on Piano, I'm awful, but having a blast.

william tele likes this.

18. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Colorado Springs
    I will say this, as crappy as I believe I am-- and I am a fairly crappy guitarist-- I have occasionally heard something recorded where I take a solo or whatever, and I was actually like, "wow, that was actually pretty good."

It's weird, I do think I play better in a live band setting than in my house or at Guitar Center. I think I'm self-conscious of my playing, and I play really poorly at GC, like I worry everyone is listening to me. Truth is, probably no one is paying attention.

Nubs, teletimetx and william tele like this.

19. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    Love the new avatar! How many shows a night you doing?:D

Colo Springs E likes this.

20. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Since reading this thread, I've really improved I played for these guys and they all showed their appreciation. The really cool thing is no one threw lettuce, or tomatoes. I kind of missed those when I made my samwidge though.

[​IMG]

JustABluesGuy likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.