Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Do you own a cowboy hat?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by gitold, Oct 12, 2017.

Do you own a cowboy hat?

1. Yes

54.7%
  2. No

45.3%
  1. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Tele-Holic

Aug 16, 2015
    Saskatchewan
    AN old straw one for working outside in the summer

My Banker who was also follicley challenged , told me it was a solar panel for a sex machine

2. Larry K. Williams

Larry K. Williams Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2003
    Athens, GA
    I have 2 Stetsons, 2 Resistols, 1 Bailey. The Stetsons are both XXXXX. All are felt.

One of the Stetsons I bought the day my son was born July 30, 1980. Still like new!!

3. rburd2

rburd2 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 13, 2016
    Georgia, US
    I had a white cowboy hat that came in a Lone Ranger set when I was 5, then a cheap straw one for a few years. Haven't had one since. Pretty sure I'd just look stupid in one.

But our bass player has a straw cowboy hat that he can actually pull off, but never wears. And I listen to and play more country than he does! Go figure.

I do have a few baseball caps I frequently wear, though.

4. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    Generally, it doesn’t have to be Custer’s last stand

5. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    I had boots but I recently got rid of them.

6. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    I think of it more as a landing pad for a melanoma; thus the hat.

OlRedNeckHippy likes this.

7. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 22, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    Yep. But all I wear is a prissy Tilley hemp hat because everything else gets hot if I do anything serious in heat. I swear a lot. Still have a Filson Tin hat that’s good for things like fishing in Canada right after ice out.

Gabrielle84 and OlRedNeckHippy like this.

8. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Dec 24, 2015
    west of I-10
    What do you mean, Cowboy Hat?
    Western dress hat?
    Hat worn by actual working cowhand?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017

9. jaybones

jaybones Tele-Afflicted

Yes. Have a well broken in straw one (bought it pre-owned), and last time I wore it was with the well broken in light brown leather Levi's jean jacket (not just collar or sleeves, but the entire thing), with a button up light denim camp shirt, blue jeans and light brown Justin cowboy boots was when I saw Son Volt at the Cleveland House of Blues.

Usually only wear the hat with either the boots or jacket, and then only as an outfit rather than clothes.

10. Kebmel

Kebmel Tele-Afflicted

Aug 8, 2008
    45 south

11. DonM

DonM Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Henderson,NV/SLC,UT
    I'm not a hat guy. I just don't look good in them. However, I did pick up this leather job on the Skyline Drive in Virginia about 50 years ago.

image.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017

12. Guran

Guran Friend of Leo's

Mar 20, 2007
    Sweden
    I have two Akubras and a nameless straw. I always wear one of the Akubras when I go fishing. The straw when it's hot and I need some protection from the sun. The nicest Akubra only gets occational use.

Ever since I cut my hair short, I don't think I wear hats as well as I used to. Bummer!

gobi_grey likes this.

13. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Meister

Jun 7, 2011
    clinton, ia
    I've posted this before. I have a lot of "cowboy" hats. I usually find older Stetsons or Resistols and shape them to my liking. Also have about 5 or 6 Akubras. These are just the ones I had handy.
    20161223_224940.jpg

14. Guran

Guran Friend of Leo's

Mar 20, 2007
    Sweden
    The Cattleman on the Tele looks exactly like my fishing hat!

15. schnulli

schnulli Tele-Meister

Aug 22, 2010
    Germany
    The question is: Can you rock it like Bertie (from 1:15 on) ?

;)

16. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Meister

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    Absolutely not. I'm British and, although they may suit American cowboys, it's not a "look" I'd be comfortable with over here.

brookdalebill likes this.

17. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 29, 2007
    Brisbane Australia
    Very, very cool.;)

18. dobrojoe

dobrojoe Tele-Meister

Feb 11, 2017
    England
    Here in the UK, 'cowboy' is a derogatory term used to describe 'fly by night' or incompetent builders. Apart from a few line dancers, you just won't see them here.

brookdalebill likes this.

19. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    No cowboy hat, no boots, no pearl buttoned shirts.
    I spent most of my early childhood wanting to be a cowboy. Now I only associate cowboy wear with country music and not the mythical men who once fueled my imagination.
    Funny, but the old west was not just a place of hero cowboys. It was a rugged, ruthless, brutal, violent and lawless place.

20. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 21, 2006
    Vienna, Austria
    Yes, I own a couple... I wear them mostly on stage when playing Western Swing and country...

This was taken recently at a Hank Williams tribute gig - I'm the one on the far left:

[​IMG]

And another one, at a country gig:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this one is for when it's cold outside - it IS a Stetson, but with a brim that is narrow enough to work in Central Europe, too, without screaming "cowboy":
    [​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.