Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Do you love the selector switch on a Tele? Didn't think so...

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by DHart, Nov 29, 2018.

1. brogh

brogh Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    :cry: i don't want to ! :lol:

2. luckett

luckett Friend of Leo's

Jun 14, 2011
    I'm going to upgrade my Tele with a 6 way toggle for volume, four way blade switch for tone, and an 8 way rotary pot for pickup selection. I will also post 42 pictures of the guitar in various seductive poses on furniture around my house for everyone to enjoy (except all the losers who use a traditional control configuration).

AAT65 likes this.
  3. Ess Eff

Ess Eff TDPRI Member

Nov 6, 2018
    Australia
    Yes, I had already checked them out, thx.
    €36 (AUD$55) inc postage to Australia! Postage more than doubles the price.

I guess 'expensive' is relative, but I need 6 of them and can get std ones for $3.88.

4. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

Apr 17, 2003
    WALTHAM MA
    I've often thought the space between the two knobs could be lessened and this would give you ma bit more room to grab the switch out of the bridge position

Now I'm sure there will be folks on this site who'll say "who takes the switch out of the bridge position"?

But you all know what I mean..................

Gary

PS

Then again I feel you can get use to many/anything and I hardly notice
    the issue.

5. DHart

DHart Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ USA
    Gary... indeed. That awkwardness of grabbing the switch out of bridge position when it is sitting so close to the knob is the biggest issue that personally had with the traditional switch. Going with an angled positioning of the switch goes a long way toward improving the ergonomics.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  6. jim777

jim777 TDPRI Member

Mar 16, 2004
    South New Jersey
    I like those Les Paul toggle switches personally, but I'm not really having a problem with my Teles. I thought about swapping the order around, so it was V/T/Switch, but haven't gotten around to it. I did put one of those Les Paul switches on an Ibanez once though, and I really liked that. Especially how it came out looking like it came from the factory that way LOL SpongeBob is the only one of these three I still have ;)
    [​IMG]

7. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Holic

Oct 27, 2008
    Upstate NY
    There's one difference between the Fender/CRL switches and the Gibson toggle that no one is mentioning.

make-before-break

The Fender switches don't drop signal as you switch from one position to another (that's how the 2 & 4 positions were "discovered" using a 3 position CRL switch on the Strat).

I believe the Gibson toggle breaks-before-makes, so you drop signal as switch between pickups.

DuckDodgers likes this.
  8. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Holic

Oct 27, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Don't you know that ending sentences with prepositions is something you should stay away from? :lol:

(that's a quote from an english teacher I had many years ago)

flatout9 likes this.
  9. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 9, 2012
    Nebraska
    Eight pages, in six days, spent discussing a switch......:confused: Time better spent in practice, with me included.

I will agree that the blade switch has several disadvantages, and one being more likely to be swatted out of position by exuberant/forceful strumming, of which I have often done this. Of course, I also have knocked Les Paul's out of position. Not as easily, though.

The second biggest fault of the blade style is the large, wide opening necessary to facilitate it's functioning. (Wow, look at all the "college" words!:)). This characteristic allows "gunk" to enter the switch and render it inoperative. Keeping a can of electrical contact cleaner handy is a good idea. I can only think of one occasion where a LP style guitar I owned required cleaning, and it was a used Epiphone Special that was very dirty overall. The previous owner had traded it non-functioning, due to the neck pick-up not coming on in position one. I noted however that it came on in position two, with the bridge pick-up so I paid diddly for it and took it home, where I cleaned the switch and viola!

Now, go practice!:mad::rolleyes::):lol:

DHart likes this.
  10. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Feb 19, 2015
    TooFarFromCanada
    I'm such a tradition-(near)worshipper that it's hard to admit fault with so classic and fun a design.

But...yeah, somewhat. The selector being on the upper bout, ala a '72 Custom or (gasp!) a Les Paul, is more accessible. Most of all, it's out of the way of the vol. and tone knobs. But with practice, this all disappears.

While we're at it, if the Strat pickup selector were a bit farther away from the strings/pickups, and a bit bigger, it would be more useful. Less prone to being accidentally hit, and still quick for flipping between pickup options. And certainly the Strat volume knob should be another inch away from the strings/bridge pickup. You could still do swells, and it would be more accessible while also being less likely to be accidentally rolled.

And the Jazzmaster's goofy rhythm circuit switch and two little, low-set, horizontal wheels? C'mon! Such a great-sounding guitar--including that rhythm circuit, which can really sing the growls--but such dumb (sorry, Leo!) controls.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  11. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 22, 2009
    New York
    Can't trust a Tele player that doesn't use a blade switch.

12. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's

Jan 24, 2011
    Colorado
    I have a blade and a toggle on my main Tele. The blade is the traditional, 3-way pickup selector, and the toggle is a two-way blower switch between the volume and tone knobs. It bypasses the tone and volume controls. Set a nice rhythm tone with volume and tone rolled back a bit, then hit the blower switch to blow minds and melt faces.

I have the three-way toggle on my Cabronita, and it's fine too. I never really developed a preference between toggle and blade, but I can go for months without moving from the bridge pickup.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  13. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

No, I don’t believe it does - in the middle position you have both pickups active, ie both contacts are closed, while in either ‘side’ position the contacts for one pickup are opened while the other one remains closed. There is always at least one pickup connected to the output.

Tim S and DHart like this.
  14. DHart

DHart Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ USA
    AAT65 is correct. The Gibson-style toggle switch does not break-before-makes. When switching from neck to neck & bridge, or from bridge to bridge & neck, there is continuous contact with one or both pickups.

15. The Angry Possum

The Angry Possum Tele-Meister

Nov 10, 2017
    Staten Island NY
    I actually like the Les Paul Switch, but off and away from the control plate.

16. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    "Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put."

Winston Churchill

Tim S and Mike Eskimo like this.
  17. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Strat saddles on a Tele ?

I bailed after seeing that.

We all have “our things”...

18. DHart

DHart Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ USA
    We do, don't we!

But no need to be rigidly ruled by them. Modern bridge with Strat saddles are among the first things I do on a Tele, if it had the old bridge originally! :D I find the modern bridge much better for palm muting, looks better to me, too. And they are more precisely “tuned”. That said... one of my Teles does have a vintage bridge on it! And that's ok! It’s not my favorite, but it gets the job done and I don’t turn my nose up at it. ;)

I do find it quite interesting that some people can seem nearly offended by any variation to the vintage Tele. Such rigid attachment seems like overly tight bindings. Certainly, though, each should have his own instruments as he or she likes them to be!

I easily understand how people like to have their guitars a certain way, but taking near offense to another player’s employment of modern variations and improvements on their guitars does seem a bit “out there” to me. o_O

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    bullfrogblues likes this.
  19. Mr Ridesglide

Mr Ridesglide Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Dec 11, 2009
    Bloomington, MN
    Funny because I always think the Les Paul switch is awkward - can be knocked up or down easily while strumming if ya' get too far away from the bridge. But if it's working out for you...perfect!

20. DuckDodgers

DuckDodgers Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Nov 5, 2015
    Dee-troit City
    What Churchill said, when criticized for ending a sentence with a preposition, was “That is the sort of pedantry up with which I will not put.”

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.