Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Do you love the selector switch on a Tele? Didn't think so...

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by DHart, Nov 29, 2018.

1. 65 Champ Amp

65 Champ Amp Tele-Holic

Respectfully, I don't think anyone was ridiculing your idea of making your own instruments more to your liking.

Your attempt to pre-empt any dissenting opinions by ordering them to move on, and ridiculing people who prefer vintage as having their panties twisted? Yup. That's like walking around with a KICK ME sign pinned to your back.

mcfm2n, Fiesta Red, BobbyMac and 2 others like this.
  2. Ess Eff

Ess Eff TDPRI Member

Nov 6, 2018
    Australia
    … and doesn't that make it even more frustrating? It would cost no more to design it right in the first place (or change it years ago)!

**Ah, what's that noise I hear in the back ground? Traditionalists screaming the virtues of Leo's inability to design anything that isn't perfect.**… ah, yes that sweet sound.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  3. DHart

DHart Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ USA
    I didn't order anyone to do anything. I suggested that if you are quite content with the selector switch as it is, this thread probably would not be of interest and you might be more interested elsewhere. Does that offend you somehow?

I'm not among those who bow at the altar of "vintage correct" - I place no value in rigidly adhering to any vintage or period correctness unless the instrument happens to suit me ideally as is. I mix and match Tele parts from all eras like crazy to suit my needs.

But I know that there are many who place a huge value on "vintage correctness" and/or "originality" and some of them actually go out of their way to dis-respect those like me who do not - and shove their rigid adherence to originality in other's faces.

My panties in a twist comment was in response to such a comment implying that vintage design was "not broken and didn't need fixing". Just a smart a$$ remark that implied that my mod was not called for. It was rude! And, it was just the kind of comment that I was hoping to avoid cluttering up this thread when I suggested that those who love the traditional switch just move along to another thread.

But NO.... rather than letting the thread simply be about the mod - specifically for those people who might want to consider such a mod - some people felt absolutely compelled to jump into the thread simply to deny the sensibility or viability of that mod. OK, you want to turn a simple thread about the toggle switch mod into a fu@k!ng nit pick debate. Not my intention when I decided to start the thread to share the mod to the switch.

If you don't like the mod, for whatever reason... fine, good for you! Don't do the mod.

But why clutter up this thread with a bunch of petty posts that just have to be contrary to what I have found to be a great improvement, for my needs, to the ergonomics of operating the pickup selector switch.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
    Teleterr and El Tele Lobo like this.
  4. 65 Champ Amp

65 Champ Amp Tele-Holic

DHart, I've agreed with you on modding your own instruments ~ this is the 3rd time.
    I've complimented your guitars. And you've ignored those comments. I don't care.

But suggesting, or asking people who don't share your opinion to go away?

Have a nice evening.

mcfm2n, nojazzhere and TeleTown like this.
  5. DHart

DHart Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ USA
    65 Champ Amp... I'm sorry for not having acknowledged your agreement on my modding and your compliments on my guitars.

I've been, unfortunately, a little busy deflecting some slings and arrows.

So... thank you for your support of my mods and your encouraging appreciation of my guitars.

For me, being on this forum is all about the love of these guitars and tweaking them to make them every bit as finely tuned and ergonomic as can reasonably be done. That's it!

I'm sure it's quite clear that I am really enjoying these guitars. I'm having an absolute ball with them! And, that's my only interest here. :)

Adhering to rigid criteria of vintage-correctness, period-correctness, or maintaining strict originality is just not something that binds, constrains, or strongly influences me with most of my guitars. I have a vintage Strat that I bought in the mid-seventies that I intend to keep as is, but aside from that, when it comes to recent production guitars, I modify to my taste and make no apologies for it.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
  6. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    MA
    It ain't very slick...if it ain't got that CLICK! :)

TeleTown and Mr. Lumbergh like this.
  7. DHart

DHart Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ USA
    No reason you need to change to anything you don't wish to change to! If a 4-position switch is what you prefer... have it!

You might appreciate going with an angle-mounted blade switch though... I find that much easier to operate than the fore-aft orientation - and easier to get a hold of the selector knob when it is not practically touching a pot knob. ;)

8. DHart

DHart Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ USA
    This was exceptionally gracious of you to say. Thank you very much.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  9. edchavez

edchavez Tele-Meister

Jan 26, 2011
    Arkansas
    I installed a LP switch on mine.... LP switch.jpg

DHart likes this.
  10. heltershelton

heltershelton Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Sep 14, 2016
    not houston
    i think they could be better.
    i put a tophat switch tip on one and that makes it much easier to flip.
    on another i put a rutters control plate with the angled switch and the volume moved back. this works great.

DHart likes this.
  11. Dobronaut

Dobronaut Tele-Meister

Dec 11, 2016
    Leicestershire UK
    I got mine from Rockinger in Germany. Can't remember the price, but they were'nt expensive.

DHart likes this.
  12. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    If they had a 4-way LP-style toggle, I'd give it a chance.

I dig that particular modification too much to give it up.

I'm an anti-purist/anti-traditionalist...if a mod--no matter how minute or weird--works for you, great--Use it!
    But don't insist my way--traditional, modified or not--is wrong, either.

mcfm2n likes this.
  13. jim777

jim777 TDPRI Member

Mar 16, 2004
    South New Jersey
    This is the typical 70's logo
    [​IMG]

DHart likes this.
  14. Solaris moon

Solaris moon Tele-Meister

Nov 12, 2017
    Fort Wayne
    It seems that you're the one with all the answers. You tell me and we'll BOTH know!!

15. brogh

brogh Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    I've see others do that little mod, i like a lot the looks of it, but i never liked that type of switch, it makes me feel clumsy every time.

interesting discussion here

16. DuckDodgers

DuckDodgers Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Nov 5, 2015
    Dee-troit City
    This does raise the question of why Leo used a wafer switch rather than a SPDT toggle. But if you look at the earliest Tele wiring diagrams, you can see that Leo couldn’t do some of them with a simple toggle. In addition, a lot of Tele features have their roots in Leo’s lap steel and console guitar designs.

17. brogh

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    after all i read about Leo... well .. he probably got them cheaper than the toggle :D

grooveiron likes this.
  18. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2014
    UK
    Reversed plate and a four way with series toward the middle rather than at the end, is correct.

Anything else is incorrect.

Next?

19. brogh

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    so a reversed plate with a 6 way switch is more correct ? ;)

20. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2014
    UK
    No. I thought I was clear.

Reverse plate with a four way, with series toward middle rather than the end is CORRECT!

:)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.