Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Do you love the selector switch on a Tele? Didn't think so...

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by DHart, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Bella_Caster

Bella_Caster TDPRI Member

Dec 1, 2018
    Portland, OR
    While i probably won't mod my 50s tele with any new switch locations (though the LP style switch swap on the control plate is tempting), I *do* prefer the switch placement on my tele custom.

DHart likes this.
  2. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Holic

Aug 17, 2013
    Essex UK
    Hilarious that is!
    it really
    Tongue in cheek comment that I found hilarious! Love the over the top but deadpan humour. How can anyone care that much about a switch?

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. Ess Eff

Ess Eff TDPRI Member

Nov 6, 2018
    Australia
    I've spent months looking for control plate with wider space between the switch n knob but can only find the very expensive custom made ones. I need 6 of them and with postage to Australia, the price is crazy.

I'm amazed I can't find any cheap stamped out Chinese ones. I've almost been tempted to special order a couple of hundred and on-sell them. There's a business oprtunity for someone.

I have found the Squire Affinity plates give you 4-5mm extra space but really need abt 10mm.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
    DHart likes this.
  4. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Meister

Aug 12, 2008
    Buffalo
    It looks like the Tele-Paul is the only one with the volume control in the "right" place :) I always make that rather simple mod but the switch does butt up against the tone knob, until now I have always just lived with that aggravation, time for a little mod.

DHart likes this.
  5. CV Jee Beez

CV Jee Beez Tele-Holic

Nov 24, 2016
    Duarte, CA
    Sounds like a great solution. Joe Bonamassa puts different knobs on each guitar so, by feel he knows which is which.

6. DHart

DHart Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ USA
    Ess Eff... you can buy blank plates and then drill holes as desired. Try the two Tele pats sources listed earlier in this thread. They each offer blank plates, and will custom drill their plates for you, if you like. :)

7. galaxiex

galaxiex Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

OMG!! that dratted Tele switch!!!

The throw on that thing is soooooo long, it takes a song and a half, just to change pickup selections!!!

omg, omg, omg.... how will I ever cope...

:D:D:D

65 Champ Amp, DHart and nojazzhere like this.
  8. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    GuitarFetish carries the blank ones, if you can drill and cut your own holes. Chrome, gold or black....$12.95-$15.95 +shipping.

Teleterr and DHart like this.
  9. Mouth

Mouth Tele-Holic

Feb 13, 2018
    U.S.
  10. DHart

DHart Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ USA
    Funny. :rolleyes: Thanks for chiming in so I can correct you. Clearly you don’t get it; it’s not about the time it takes to change pickups. It’s all about the ergonomics, ease of use, and feel. ;)

And if you think that's a ridiculously small benefit, so be it.

Then consider there are the HUGE differences in tone that people seek between, say, a ‘59 and a ‘62 Tele pickup, or a Fat Lion and a Huge Lion pickup, or the massive tone difference between brass and steel saddles on a vintage bridge. Or... choosing rosewood over maple for that tiny extra bit of sparkle? Yeah.. I’m sure you can ridicule that too. How about the huge difference one can realize when choosing between bone and tusk nuts? WOW. :lol:

I know... people are idiots when they find minor differences to appreciate.

The things people find differences in with their guitars that are appreciated, between this option and that, are actually wonderful.

The REALLY Cool thing is, when life is as great as some of us have it... it’s the little things like switch differences that add that extra little bit of niceness that we can appreciate! :lol: It may be lost on you, but Life is great!

Teleterr likes this.
  11. Ess Eff

Ess Eff TDPRI Member

Nov 6, 2018
    Australia
    Yes, I have seen those but I want a std switch and I couldn't cut a slot neatly and without damaging the chrome plating.

12. Ess Eff

Ess Eff TDPRI Member

Nov 6, 2018
    Australia
    But how do you cut a slot neatly?

13. DHart

DHart Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ USA
    Have them cut the slot for you. Then drill the two holes yourself?

14. Ess Eff

Ess Eff TDPRI Member

Nov 6, 2018
    Australia
    ?? Are you talking abt Rock Rabbit?

That will cost me US$22 + $10 postage, which is abt AUD$45 each! I need 6 of them.

I get most of my parts from a Chinese supplier at hell cheap prices (and great quality). Eg. Std Tele plate AUD$3.88 but they don't do the wider spacing.

15. galaxiex

Clearly you don’t get it; It was a JOKE.
    Notice the >>> :D:D:D

It's not lost on me, I get it.

Please modify your Tele any way you see fit.
    I'm happy for you. Really. Seriously.
    You have found something that you like better than... whatever was there before. Happy Day! :)

I modify stuff all the time, personalize it, if you will.
    I think that's what you are doing. Great! Excellent!

The "mistake".. if we can call it that...
    is posting about it on a public forum.
    Surely you did realize there will be folks that will make fun of your choices?
    Doesn't mean we don't respect your choice and your freedom to do as you please.

The same (more or less) happened to me when I posted about the location of the Strat volume knob.
    Folks made fun of it and some were less than kind in their reply's to that thread.
    I don't sweat it.
    Live and let live.
    Peace! :)

El Tele Lobo and DHart like this.
  16. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    I guess this is the "catch".....you are free to alter your own guitar in any way you choose AS LONG AS YOU CAN AFFORD TO DO IT......otherwise, you compromise. I suppose if I could move a knob one millimeter back, and I felt that would be perfect, but it would cost me $70 to do so, I might just decide where it was originally wasn't that bad. YOU GETS WHAT'S YOU PAYS FOR!!!!
    You DON'T get what you just whine for....;)

Fiesta Red and DHart like this.
  17. DHart

DHart Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ USA
    galaxiex... thanks for clarifying. And best wishes to you, bro! :)

I've never understood people who ridicule others on forums like this. I would never do that to anyone who wasn't overtly asking for it by their rudeness. If someone does a mod that doesn't appeal to me, I let it be - I don't ridicule them for it or try to make their preferences seem foolish.

El Tele Lobo and galaxiex like this.
  18. galaxiex

This is very "right" of you, and I very much respect that.
    In some cases ridicule/making fun of, can seem like, or actually be, bullying.
    Even if it is done in "fun".

This has caused me to re-think ever doing the same again.

Thank you.

Edit; I joined this forum, mainly because of this....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
    No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

I guess I just lost track of that for a moment. No excuse.

DHart likes this.
  19. 65 Champ Amp

65 Champ Amp Tele-Holic

Yeah, one of us forgot he's not in charge...

"You folks might as well move along to another thread and don't waste you time on this stuff...." OK, DAD.

Hmm. Wonder why you did not quote the part of my thread in which I endorsed doing whatever you need to do to your instrument to help you make music, and the part where I said I do as well.

Anyhow, I like your guitars, molested or not.:cool:

20. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    It's much easier this way to get to that 4th series position I have wired up on my Tele.
    Oh, wait... ;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.