Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Do you have an all time favorite guitar solo that was played on a Telecaster?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by telemandave, Apr 30, 2016.

1. archetype

archetype More tone than talent Ad Free + Supporter

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    Oh! Thanks. I'm just partially aware, today.

2. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    A friend told me that Keith recorded the solo on a acoustic through a simple maxed-out cassette player. But I haven't tried to verify.

3. Mart the Hat

Mart the Hat Tele-Meister

Feb 11, 2013
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Zoot Horn Rollo on Captain Beefheart's Monnlight on Vermont. It's icepick all the way; Tele bridge pickup, capo-ed way up the neck, metal fingerpicks, maxed-out Showman. I wouldn't like to have been in the room while it was played, but it's great all the same!

texastengu and ndcaster like this.

4. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    The extra digit might be a clue? ;)

5. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO

6. tonytrout

tonytrout Friend of Leo's

Mar 19, 2003
    Brasstown/Murphy, NC
    I've got a few:

"Nashville West" - Clarence White & The Byrds

"Hummingbyrd" - Marty Stuart

"Hollywood Boogie" - Marty Stuart

All of Danny Gatton's stuff.

(Oops! I think I read the title wrong....ya'll didn't mean "favorite instrumentals"! Sorry, fellas!

TeleRooo and texastengu like this.

7. edvard

edvard Tele-Holic

May 15, 2016
    Bremerton, WA
    Hands down, the screaming howl of Springsteen's tele in "Tunnel of Love". That tone is SO metal, but it's smack dab in the middle of a (almost) forgettable '80s ballad. I've always wondered how he got that sound and never found out, so I figured it was some esoteric combination of slide, wah pedal and voodoo, but I'm prolly wrong about the wah. o_O

2 Headed Goat, Bruxist and richiek65 like this.

8. John O

John O TDPRI Member

May 22, 2016
    Delaware
    solo in Linda Ronstadt's "When will I be loved" from '70's always grabbed my ear

9. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 16, 2007
    North Bushey, England.
    That version always irritated me a little bit, because the verses are in the wrong order. It's OK, but I've heard better, including of course the original from the "Elderly" Brothers.

10. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Holic

Jan 15, 2013
    Heart O' Dixie
    I just read thru, and everytime I'd think of a tune with tele-solo greatness, someone beat me to it! One guess at this fella's great solo on a tele:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016

11. richiek65

richiek65 Tele-Holic

Ok it's a tele, but with strat pickups, EMGs at that, so maybe this misses out as being a true tele solo on a technicality... but this is THE best guitar solo I've ever heard..
    Starts around 19:15
    It's Phil Emmanuel, older brother of Tommy (who is on drums with this band, and he runs rings around just about any other drummer you will hear..) and I'm also a big fan of Chris Haigh's fretless bass on this track..

The whole album from start to finish is well worth listening to..read some of the youtube comments..

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016

12. tniemcewitch

tniemcewitch Tele-Meister

Aug 2, 2016
    PL

I instantly fell in love the moment I heard it the first time.

1:34

13. cboutilier

cboutilier Tele-Afflicted

Oct 28, 2015
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    I'm going to toss out Peaceful Easy Feeling. I could listen to Mr. Leadon pick all day long.

14. Rasmuth

Rasmuth Tele-Afflicted

Nov 10, 2006
    Churchville, NY
    the whole damn song....is a telecaster showcase...lol

15. Rasmuth

Rasmuth Tele-Afflicted

Nov 10, 2006
    Churchville, NY
    being the Kotzen pretty much only uses his signature Tele these days...I'll put up anything he plays on...lol

16. Rayner

Rayner Tele-Meister

Jun 7, 2015
    Somerset England
    My favorite all time solo was on a Les Paul (Eagles-One of these Nights) but as far as tele solos go there are thousands of great ones, my favorite still has to be the end solo on Brad Paisley's Old Alabama, its the album that made me pick up a guitar again and still one of my favorite songs.

17. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2012
    Sydney
    2 Spring to mind.

Brian mays crazy little thing called love (which always struck me as Hank marvin meets Scotty moore)

And Danny gattons harlem nocturne from oh no, not more duelling telecasters.

18. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    too many

zeke turner's is one

texastengu and TwangToInfinity like this.

19. Syd Lennon

Syd Lennon TDPRI Member

Aug 21, 2016
    Toronto
    A few sites online claim that the solos of Hey Joe and Purple Haze were recorded with a borrowed telecaster. Does anyone know if this is true?

20. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2012
    Sydney
    Hendrix said you could only get one tone out of a telecaster. Or 2. One good and one bad. But he also would pick up whatever was around. So it's not impossible.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.