Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Do you have a perfect guitar (for you)?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Knowcaster, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Minimalist518

Minimalist518 Tele-Holic

Mar 5, 2017
    Albany
    I would say you would enjoy an SG modded to your taste/needs or, better, a short-scale partscaster of your own devising. The beauty of a partscaster is that you can just keep changing, swapping and experimenting until you’ve got it dialed in without any concern for some objective “value,” be it vintage or resale.

2. Minimalist518

Minimalist518 Tele-Holic

Mar 5, 2017
    Albany
    If you saw my perfect guitar, (I've posted pics-a-plenty in other threads) you’d be hard pressed to see any perfection. She’s a Squire partscaster that had been initially modded by a previous owner who apparently had more enthusiasm and determination than he or she had skills or access to proper tools. There is a questionable “relic” job (stickers distract from a multitude of sins) and under the hood, there’s a lovingly hand-gouged canyon that looks like the neck route had been enlarged and dug out for a wide-range humbucker. A three-saddle ashtray bridge was installed, but you can see one side of a universal rout peeking out from underneath on the bass side as well as the screw holes for the modern style top-loading bridge that I presume it used to have.
    I took her in as a stray – I wasn’t looking to buy a guitar – but holy schnitzel, she’s a player’s guitar! For me, an absolute dream. As when I bought her, and for perpetuity, she’s wired as a hot-rodded esquire with a DiMarzio T-bucker. I swapped the neck for a 90s MIM Fender neck, had the holes/ferules installed to string through the body, had compensated saddles installed and upgraded the switch and pots wired to my idiosyncratic liking. I can get a surprisingly diverse array of sounds out of this guitar and I probably use the switch and knobs to modify my sound more than I use my pedalboard which is just for color and punctuation; this, I believe, is as it should be!

3. Tobias

Tobias Tele-Meister

Dec 2, 2015
    Amersfoort
    I don't know about perfect. I know my #1 (a classic vibe strat) is home. No guitar works better for me - including other strats (that, in fairness, I try but don’t really get their shot cause it's not needed).

I sometimes feel it lacks punch or fatness - this is why pedals exist. I can niggle about not having a kill switch/dual volume or about the heel being blocky. It's nitpicking. All other guitars have their own charms sure, but they are not home.

I've learned I like 25.5 scale. I like modern C necks. I prefer 10s with heavy bottoms. I don't need a trem. Rosewood fingerboard. I like a contoured body. I mostly prefer single coils but need the rare trip to humbuckerland.

It took some guitars that are gone to figure this out. Lag mg200 was not a convincing superstrat. Prs se tremonti showed i dont like the les paul singlecut shape nor shorter scale and the humbuckers were meh. Cabronita taught me I dont like gloopy maple fretboards and that bigby's are mostly eyecandy in my hands. SGJ ... well.. I thought I liked the sweeter humbucker (and I did) but it was too subtle and the head drop and rough fret edges prevented love. It did leave a feeling that should a great sounding epi limited sg (rosetta tharpe) without head drop exist, that would be worth a shot with 11s.

So that strat is the best I know. When I need variety, I get it from 25.5 length rosewood guitars... a G&L ASAT tribute special and a jazzmaster with super distortions humbuckers. Close to what I need but different enough.

Hope you are happy with yours!

Minimalist518 likes this.

4. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I was really happy with my number #1, a Warmoth partscaster that up til recently was the best sounding, most versatile guitar I've ever owned. Then, while in a pawnshop I found a cheapo tele copy made of basswood that just sings like I have never heard. I have owned basswood bodied guitars before and loved them, but this one is just freakishly 'alive'. I have spent my fathers day weekend grilling and converting this Walmart guitar into my #1. I haven't even bedded the neck yet and I can feel every note through the guitar. Its one of those special things that just happens. I cant describe it, but it is THE ONE!
    FullSizeRender.jpg

Minimalist518 and Ash Telecaster like this.

5. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Friend of Leo's

Like somebody else said, I don't know if it's perfect but of all my 6 of my guitars my American Standard Strat is just flat out the most comfortable instrument for me to play. I like the others but picking up that guitar is like going home. Probably because I've had it the longest and played it out the most. It's getting pretty road rashed at this point but even the fret wear doesn't seem to be an issue and I hesitate to replace the neck. It just wouldn't be the same.

Tobias, Minimalist518 and 4pickupguy like this.

6. Minimalist518

Minimalist518 Tele-Holic

Mar 5, 2017
    Albany
    +1+amen! Hooray for the cheapies, mongrels and partscasters that sing to us!
    And holy cannoli, those are some sick mods! How does that switching system work and what kinds of sounds does that give you?

4pickupguy likes this.

7. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Yeah, I'm a bit depressed about having a Walmart guitar be the best sounding one I've owned. This doesn't mean the others sound bad though. Its a weirdo for sure. One 5-way switch (the one closest the vol knob) operates the two bridge pups and the other the two neck pups. They work alike with four 'on' positions and one 'off' position each. If we call the position closest to the vol knob #1, they work like this:

Bridge pup switch (BPS)
    1. -Off-
    2. Both pups parallel
    3. Strat pup only
    4. Both pups on series (with strat pup tapped to 85%)
    5. Tele pup

Neck pup switch (NPS)
    1. Neck pup
    2. Both pups series (with strat pup tapped to 85%)
    3. Strat pup
    4. Both pups parallel
    5. -Off-

If I sweep both switches back I get bridge pup only. Both forward is neck pup only. Then there are all the combinations in between. Theres a bunch. The combo I play the most is tele bridge/strat parallel. The pup I play by itself the most is the tele neck. The move I tend to make the most is to go from the tele bridge/strat in parallel (BPS#2 NPS#5), to tele neck pup only, then back. Having the push/push volume knob which bypasses the switches and goes to neck pup only helps a lot. I know this is all really weird, but, I am really familiar and used to this arrangement.

Sounds like this:

..or this..

..or this..

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.