Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Do you have a perfect guitar (for you)?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Knowcaster, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Mur

Mur Tele-Afflicted

Jun 30, 2004
    USA
    Yep, all happy here. Quit searchin' years ago.

tonytrout likes this.
  2. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    London
    I have several. Not any one guitar can do every sound. I mean, my Strats do not do a good bluegrass sound. And I can't a cool overdriven Marshall sound from my dreadnought.

But by having several guitars I can get every sound I love, and they all play great.

3. jimmyjames74

jimmyjames74 TDPRI Member

Jun 9, 2017
    London
    Sounds cool! Yours or your dream strat?

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Rich724

Rich724 Tele-Meister

Dec 26, 2012
    Linden, MI
    All my guitars are perfect for me (strat, tele, firebird, etc.) as for the basics they are the same (i.e. specs - neck radius, width, ect.). If its not one of my favorites, I tweak it until it is. Beyond that its the differences that I love most (pups, look, feel, vibe, color). I would get bored and lose interest playing the same guitar all the time.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017 at 7:24 AM
  6. Sooper8

Sooper8 Tele-Meister

May 24, 2011
    UK- Midlands
    Took me about 5 others before I got to the 'perfect for me' guitar. Sounds like I wasted time, but maybe I wouldn't have known this one was perfect without trying the less than perfect ?

7. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Meister

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I feel like my white partscaster tele is just about "perfect for me" as it gets - if I could only have one electric that would be it for sure. It plays great, stays in tune, sounds awesome, is comfortable and light. But of course it can't do strat sounds, or humbucker sounds, isn't a semi, and so on. But I could survive as a player with just that one guitar for sure.

It sounds like the OP might find his perfect guitar if he were willing to do a partscaster and maybe spend a little more than his budget. I'm imagining a HH hardtail strat. USACG will make a Gibson scale neck in whatever profile, you can get whatever body you want at whatever weight from either them or Warmoth. I wouldn't use the Warmoth 24.75 neck as it has their double truss rod which I think is awful. You can find someone to finish it for you in real deal nitro if you want as well.

8. toomuch

toomuch TDPRI Member

Mar 22, 2017
    Chicago
    Try the new Fender Duo Sonic HS. With a good setup I think it ticks every single one of your boxes aside from maybe its single coil neck pickup (which you can opt to swap with the extra $$ you'll save).

9. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

IMG_20170605_112328_841.jpg

Either of these is my number 1. They are interchangeable and perfect for me.

The only slight differences are a middle strat pickup and slightly different wiring and neck profile because even though I like my microcoil equipped surf green teles with fat necks, I like a little variety in case I want to cluck a bit or a change of neck feel.

I go back and forth between my .90" super soft V and my 1" C. The wilde microcoils are definitely a BIG part of my secret sauce.

Throw those in a 120 dollar squier that holds tuning and I'd probably be happy.

*blushes*

10. middy

middy Friend of Leo's

Apr 28, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    I'll be building it once I have the money saved up. I don't use credit on music gear anymore, it gets me in trouble.

11. jimmyjames74

jimmyjames74 TDPRI Member

Jun 9, 2017
    London
    Interesting!!

12. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Meister

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Wait - I just realized I own your perfect guitar! It's a PRS S2 Mira. Meets every single one of your requirements to a T. In particular it is lightweight, comfy, holds tune like a champ, great neck, humbuckers. They have the PRS 25" scale which is very close to a Gibson anyhow.
    New they are just north of $1000, but they go much cheaper used of course. In between the Import SE line and the Core line in price.
    I love mine.

13. brianswindall

brianswindall Tele-Afflicted

I have 3 electric guitars that I refuse to part with. I have flipped plenty of gear but I kept a 52 Avri Tele, 83 Gibson Les Paul Custom and an old Harmony Rocket. Are they "perfect", well, no. I love them though so I am keeping them.

Wisdom is knowing which guitars are keepers and which aren't. Over the years I have accumulated just enough of both.

14. mbell75

mbell75 Tele-Meister

Mar 21, 2014
    california
    The new Fender Duo Sonic HS. Ive owned every major brand and tons of models, over 30 guitars in all price ranges and this has been my favorite guitar of them all. My search for the perfect guitar is over. Ticks all my boxes and most every one of yours too. Most importantly the shorter (24") scale length and push/pull that allows you to split the humbucker into single coils which you rarely get on Fenders.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017 at 5:46 PM
  15. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Friend of Leo's

Dec 21, 2004
    central ky
    I don't think I believe there is such a thing as a perfect guitar.

16. Frontman

Frontman Tele-Meister

Jul 10, 2014
    Tokyo
    The Jaguar sounds like it might work. The neck is good, and it has the Gibson scale length. The body IMO is more comfortable than a strat, tele, or Les Pau, especially when sitting. Mine has humbuckers and a tune-o-matic bridge, mods are easy enough to perform. The style is certainly classic, though the controls are not as clean as other guitars.

Here in Japan the Jaguar is more desirable than a strat or tele, and commands a better price.

17. Knowcaster

Knowcaster Tele-Meister

Jun 30, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    NGD - Well I may not have found the absolutely perfect guitar, but I did acquire one that comes a lot closer than anything else I own. It is light weight, with an ergonomic body with contours where my forearm drapes over, a comfy neck profile and has most all of the other attributes I was seeking. Got it as a Father's Day gift for myself since I don't wear ties any more. What is it, you ask??? Drum roll.....Gibson SG standard. I had been looking at SGs but had not found one in my price range (sub $1,000) that I was happy with. The Faded, Special, and other sub-Standard models were OK, but something about the unfilled grain and matte finish made them unappealing to me, though I understand many are fine guitars (no offense to anyone who has one). New Standards run $1,400, way over my self-imposed price limit. I tried a couple of used Standards that were either neck heavy or had some other issue I would not have been happy with. I was monitoring the local guitar stores who post their used inventory online, and spotted a newly listed SG for $899 at a Guitar Center on the other side of town from me. The listing had one tiny picture with no real description. I went to check it out in person on Saturday, and found that it was a mint condition 2016 with a Gibson case (presumably bought aftermarket as '16s were sold with a gig bag). One piece body, Heritage Cherry finish, Kluson stye tuners, all the classic appointments. Not a mark on it, no fret wear, just a minor scrape or two on the case. It even came with strap locks installed. I tried to negotiate price with the clerk, after a lot of back and forth the best they would do is throw in a $40 leather strap, which I would have bought anyway.

All in all, I think I found a near-perfect gigging guitar for me, although now I might be afraid it is too nice to gig with!

18. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Friend of Leo's

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    I have a Strat that i recently finished that is fantastic, makes me a better player.
    Even though i can build a Strat or Tele from scratch in my sleep practically this is just a cheap $65 eBay kit.
    It has a rosewood fretboard, which i don't like and a painted headstock, which i don't really care for, it has CS69 pickups.
    Chock full of cluck, pock and all kinds of chimey sounds. Makes me try harder and puts my other guitars in the closet.

19. moosie

moosie Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    I don't have one perfect guitar. To ask one guitar to cover all the sounds and styles I play would result in a mess that might do everything, but would do nothing well.

Each of my dozen or so guitars is perfect for what it represents. If it isn't, I won't own it for long.

So, I don't have a #1. It depends on the music, and my mood.

I don't see how hope enters into it. Buy a guitar with your specs, and get it setup properly.
    Then you're just searching for tone, like the rest of us.

tonytrout likes this.
  20. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted

Sep 24, 2004
    Endicott, NY
    Congrats - now enjoy that guitar!!

I've never understood the whole "it's too nice to gig with" sentiment. They're tools. Some of them are very nice tools, but tools, nonetheless.
    Buy it, play it, enjoy it.

tonytrout likes this.
  21. tonytrout

tonytrout Friend of Leo's

Mar 19, 2003
    Brasstown/Murphy, NC
    I've already got one of my perfect guitars - my other perfect guitar would be an AllParts paisley build with early-period Barden pickups, Bill Bores B/G benders & a couple of Keith tuners.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.