Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Join TDPRI Today

Do you have a perfect guitar (for you)?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Knowcaster, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

Dec 3, 2014
    Toowoomba, Australia
    In your shoes I would build a Warmoth bitsa, but the price would likely go higher than your limit.

I've got several guitars of different kinds (acoustic fingerpicking, lap steel, acoustic slide) that I think are very well suited to their purpose. I only play slide on electrics, so it is mostly about weight, looks (very plain) and pickups, and a couple tick all the boxes, both cheapos.

2. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    Right, right,400. That is a real guitar. One for the vault.

3. cntry666

cntry666 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2010
    decatur, ga
    Any maple neck tele usually does it. Usually with a hot pickup as well. I must say my ASAT it starting to really grow on my.

Dr Improbable likes this.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Humbuster

Humbuster Tele-Meister

Aug 11, 2009
    en route.
    As much as I love Gibson electrics (Les Paul, 335), the Tele body shape just seems "right" for me.

6. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable Tele-Meister

Aug 14, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Yeah, I have an ASAT Classic that is just about perfect. Wonderful guitars!

cntry666 and Humbuster like this.

7. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Tele-Afflicted

Nov 16, 2005
    Texas Gulf Coast
    To me the perfect guitar is the one that's the most versatile tonally and can cover a lot of different genre's of music.

I have 3 that fit that that criteria :

'09 PRS DGT - has 2 HB's and has pickups splittable to single coil.

'07 Gibson LE SG-3 - has 3 HB's and has 6 different pickup settings offering a lot of tonal variety.

'90 Fender Strat Plus - loaded with Lace Sensor Blue/Silver/Red. These pickups are VERY quiet and can really cover a lot of tones and musical styles.

Teleposer likes this.

8. Teleposer

Teleposer Tele-Meister

Sep 28, 2016
    UK

I have 'The One'. See my avatar.

It can sound like a strat or a les paul. It can shred, it can blues. The pups are legendary. It's not for sale at any price. Ok, offers of 10K and above will be taken seriously. Not kidding. I wouldn't sell this guitar to you if you turned up at my doorstep with 9K in cash in a suitcase.

Funny thing is, I had it for years, usually cased up. I went through all the Fenders and Ibanez and whatnot. It plays like a dream. It's one fault is it's top (headstock) heavy and drops when you play her standing up. No problem. The great thing is she is superb to play sitting down, totally contoured to your body. Absolutely perfectly made to shape for a human being when in sitting position.

I love Telecasters. They have become a major passion. I aim to own more of them than any other guitar. In the right hands, you don't need anything else. I'm not that great a player, so I need all the help I can get. Magic happens when I play 'The One'.

I don't know, there's something really special about the Telecaster. I still haven't figured out what it is. Lots of things ring true: you have to work at it to make it play good - it's versatile and can cover any style - it looks great - it's not too expensive to get a good one to get started on - all the great guitarists play/played one etc. etc.

I just got another guitar today in the post. Another Aria Pro II. A strat this time. Absolutely knock out good. But that one in my avatar is all I need. It even does semi-acoustic if you know how to jig the switches on it. But that neck. Whether it's a through neck or whatever - who cares. Sometimes you just have a guitar that you lock with.

Thank you uncle Mat (Matsumoku factory - Japan). Their guitars are getting a bit silly in price now. But this one is nice to have.

Anyway, today I decided I might get a Fender after all. Well, a Squier actually. They seem to be doing some very tasty Teles these days for a decent price.

I don't want to own lots of guitars. But I think to own about a dozen or so is not unreasonable.

That Gold plated hardware is looking a bit rough now on the old girl (see my avatar), but man, if those ceramic pups don't prove the fact that they can be as good as anything in this world.

Every guitarist needs to find 'The One' for themselves.

I can totally understand how guitarists like Larry Carlton only need ONE instrument to ply their craft. I also understand why a good guitarist might laugh at me for owning 10 or more guitars, when I can't play that great.

I even understand the confusion other guitarists go through when they see someone like Larry and think: man, he could own any guitar he wants, play any guitar he wants...

That's the thing. When you have found 'The One', it don't matter!

You will forever be at peace as a guitar player. Even if it means, like me, that you realise that you aren't that good, that it isn't your crappy guitar at fault for your crappy playing. It sets a base line for yourself. It enables you to move forward and be honest about where you're at. Even ten years later.

You will know when you find 'The One' - she's for life.

I haven't played her properly for a while now. But she's still there. In the corner. Waiting. Knowing, that she is 'The One'.

Don't look too hard for her, or she won't come. But be mindful as you pass through all the ones you have. She will make herself apparent to you.

If you had told me that I would have ended up with a Japanese knock-off of a BC Rich Bich - a 10 string heavy metal guitar ffs - I would have never believed you. But sometimes we find the oddest of friends and partners in this world. And make good bedfellows with them.

Minimalist518 likes this.

9. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 22, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    Haven't played one of the avatar guitars but I dug your story.

I love my Tele and it does it for me. Didn't sound quite as heavenly tonight as it did last night, but what with 6 other guitars of varying persuasions + a bass and with volume, tuning & timing of the aforementioned varying seemingly with moon phases I can't quite pin the fault on my guitar. By itself it still sounded pretty good when I could hear it.

Teleposer likes this.

10. brogh

brogh Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    yup i do, :)

my 58 and 72 avri do exactly what i need them to do and i LOVE the sound of both guitars, both get their good amount of playing, and i really don't like one more than the other, two different beasts, and i'm totally digging em.

11. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    Ditto Knowcaster- I too have a few Teles, a strat a Taylor acoustic but what I really want is a Thinline, natural Ash finish, maple f/b and a PAF in the front but a traditional Tele bridge and single coil in the bridge. I just can't justify it to myself as I am currently building a Les Paul ( flame maple top, mahogany back and sides):(.

12. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Meister

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    Either a Strat with a fixed bridge or a Tele with a Strat pickup configuration - love that 2/4 position quack sound on a Strat. Maple neck/fretboard no flatter than 9.5 radius. I would consider a tele Nashville but I'd have to replace the neck with a rounder radius. I'm happy enough with my cheap FSR tele. It's got a perfect feel and plenty of great sounds - just not that ONE additional sound that would make it perfect...

It's still a way better guitar than I am a player.

-Ray

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017

13. BradL

BradL Tele-Afflicted Ad Free + Supporter

Feb 9, 2009
    Sussex, UK
    I have a Nashville cum hybrid thing with a HB/Strat/Tele pickup configuration and blend circuit that may as well say "Victorinox" on the headstock.

14. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 TDPRI Member

Jun 14, 2017
    Canada
    That is a real beauty! Wow!

jayyj likes this.

15. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 8, 2007
    Norfolk UK
    yes but it is my Gibson Midtown .

16. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

Mar 11, 2009
    Sand Land
    Yep. 83 Ibanez AM205. 33 years and still counting.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
    middy likes this.

17. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    I don't, and that's why I also own several.

18. TigerG

TigerG Tele-Holic

Aug 14, 2015
    Nashville
    My initial thought in answer to the question posed by this thread is "yeah, my 335", but then I ask myself "Why then do I have 14 other guitars?"

19. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    For years my "One" had been my Squier 1989 Strat which I bought new in 1991 but it took a lot of tweaking to really get where it is now.
    strat.jpg
    I replaced the neck about five times until I found the one which just feels right to me. The pickups she has are Fender Japan units from their upmarket series, I can't for the life of me remember where I got them from but they have been in there for at least ten years, I revised the stock strat set up with a master tone which is a very useful feat and the mini switch is a kill switch, which I very rarely use but again, useful when you need it.

This strat has ruined all other strats for me, since none can match her in both sentimental value or as being the most versatile guitar I ever had.

But when it comes to guitars for live works, I rediscovered my self built SG's the so called "Fido's"
    fido.jpg
    Of which I made quite a few. the fact that an SG hangs from the strapbutton at the back of the neck heel means that they're perfectly balanced when I strap them on. The one in the picture has a strat set up with a Kahler Double locking whammy but I also have made some with twin buckers and a normal Gibson set up.
    green fido.jpg
    So while my old strat still serves me well for studio work, live it's the SG styles which never let me down.

Minimalist518 and Teleposer like this.

20. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    Yeah......several and all Teles or Tele type.

21. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    I should have mentioned my 1982 Ibanez BL550 in Regal Blue, that one has replaced my old strat for live work
    blazer live 2.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.