Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Do you have a perfect guitar (for you)?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Knowcaster, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Knowcaster

Knowcaster Tele-Meister

Jun 30, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I currently own several electric guitars that I like, but none that "check all the boxes" for what I would consider to be a perfect guitar for me. I am nosing around guitar stores to see if I can find a particular model that meets all my criteria, but so far, everything falls short in one area or another. Perhaps some of my requirements are mutually exclusive, or perhaps I am constrained by my budget ($800, new or used). I will keep looking though.

I am not looking for advice as to what I should buy, but was wondering how many of you have a guitar that you are totally satisfied with in every aspect? Is mine a reasonable quest?

2. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Tele-Afflicted

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    I guess it depends on how picky you are. Yea, my #1 Tele is a guitar I am satisfied with. Really, it goes beyond that. I love the thing.

troy2003 likes this.

3. prebend

prebend Tele-Holic

Jan 28, 2013
    Baltimore, MD, USA
    It's a reasonable request if you're willing to constrain the criteria for "perfect." I have two guitars that are close to perfect. A partscaster with a light ash body, neck from Musikraft, and PV 64 pickups. The other is a whiteguard Danocaster. Interestingly, the two guitars have significant differences.

4. Knowcaster

Knowcaster Tele-Meister

Jun 30, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    In case anyone is curious, here is my list of requirements for my "perfect" guitar:
    • Comfortable neck (Fender modern C is pretty good for me)
    • Ergonomic body shape standing and sitting - smooth body contours and evenly balanced
    • Relatively light weight - 8 pounds or less (ideally less)
    • Classic good looks and finish (subjective of course, but don't like satin or faded finishes much)
    • Sounds good (subjective, but looking for a vintage PAF humbucker type tone)
    • Stays reasonably well in tune
    • Easily visible position markers on fretboard
    • Solid body
    • Medium-low action without buzzing
    • Gibson scale length (shorter than 25.5 anyway)
    Each of my current guitars are lacking in at least a couple of these qualities - but hope springs eternal!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017

5. prebend

prebend Tele-Holic

Jan 28, 2013
    Baltimore, MD, USA
    If not for the humbucker, I would say and American Standard or Deluxe tele would fit the bill for you.

troy2003 likes this.

6. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    Out of the box, I'd say my EB Musicmans. I've two that needed nothing to be perfect in every way.( for me)
    Sadly they do not make a Tele alternative that suits my taste, thou.

7. middy

middy Friend of Leo's

Apr 28, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    A hardtail strat with an overwound bridge pickup, 3 way switch, 1 tone control for neck and middle, one for bridge. 1957 style neck (maple board, vintage frets, 7.5 inch radius, soft-V profile, vintage tuners, 21 frets).

songtalk and brookdalebill like this.

8. Knowcaster

Knowcaster Tele-Meister

Jun 30, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Yeah, I do have a Tele partscaster that is pretty close to ideal. My main gripe is that the top edge where my forearm touches is not very rounded or contoured, and starts to bother my arm where it rubs after awhile. Also, I would prefer a shorter scale length (edited list to add this item). Pretty good, but not perfect!

9. adamkoop

adamkoop Tele-Meister

Feb 18, 2016
    Halifax
    I've got an old Ibanez SZ320WM that does just about everything I want out of a guitar. 25.1 inch scale length, has ibanez INF pickup (3 and 4, I believe) wired through push pulls for coil splitting. Covers an awful lot of ground, from deep warms on the neck with both coils, to bright and stratish with both pickups running one coil, to twangy and biting with the bridge on one coil, or just face melting with the bridge on both coils. Weight is great, neck feels good to me, has a volute which is always cool, and the transition to the body for the set neck is very smooth. String through body, so you can argue sustain gains from that if that's you thing, bridge is an ibanez unit and with the rounded top to the saddles is very comfortable to play.

Mine was one like this, but someone stripped the finish off the top so it's raw mahogany with an oil finish. My only complaint is that the abalone inlays are a bit small and hard to see on the fretboard, side markers are easy though.

[​IMG]

10. Knowcaster

Knowcaster Tele-Meister

Jun 30, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I had not considered Music Mans. Do they make something in the sub $1,000 price range?

11. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    I have several that I consider perfect for me. In fact, I would probably let one or two of them go but I like them all so much, I couldn't decide which to part with.

The only thing I would say is that I would now prefer a different finish on a couple of them. However, tastes change. I love these finishes when I got them.

I think it's possible to love more than one and find more than one as the perfect "mate."

12. Knowcaster

Knowcaster Tele-Meister

Jun 30, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I do have an Ibanez semi-hollow, and it has the abalone dot position markers like yours, some of which are hard to see on a dark stage. I am at an age where I want something smaller, lighter, and more ergonomic as well.

13. adamkoop

adamkoop Tele-Meister

Feb 18, 2016
    Halifax
    The SZs are about the same footprint as a strat, but a little thicker. Weight is pretty reasonable too. They're harder to find now, at least the 320s, but if you get the chance, I'd snap one up. I got mine for about 200CAD, and my father managed to snag one with a case for 220CAD.

14. FattoneTele

FattoneTele Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2016
    Jena, LA
    Haven't tested enough out yet. Closest GC is 3 hours away and the closest store with any guitars requires you to be 18 to touch them or the amps.

15. metalosophy

metalosophy Tele-Meister

Dec 21, 2016
    Dublin, CA
    MM's don't really go under 1k.

My quest ended.. for now. My rosewood neck tele is my #1.

I know you said you aren't looking for advice, but I've seen those PRS S2 go for around $800, that's a hell of a deal and exactly what you're looking for, in my opinion. The neck felt pretty similar to the modern C. Hard part may be finding one not faded or satin, but for a little more you can probably get exactly what you're after, or possibly used.

16. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Jul 15, 2013
    Europa
    Perfekt doesnt exist in one guitar ... maybe a prs 408 or 513 will get you close ... dunno?

But as said ... You will most likely not find perfect in one guitar. There are 3 decisions to be made.

Scale length (gibson or fender), single coils p90s or humbuckers and whammybar.

Choose a combination of those and the rest will follow easily. My allrounder is currently a gibson scale guitar with p90s and a fixed bridge.

Have fun! :)

jimmyjames74 likes this.

17. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    I'd rate my MIA Standard Tele as perfect. Does it do everything I want? No, but it is perfect for what it is.

18. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Holic

May 12, 2016
    California
    All my guitars are absolute gems, and together they can do anything. But none of them is quite as versatile as I want and they're all very 'classic'. I'd love something with a bit more unique styling and a wider assortment of tones.

19. Mxrk

Mxrk TDPRI Member

Nov 17, 2016
    Tampa
    Ibanez makes some really slick, playable guitars.

20. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Holic

May 11, 2011
    North of Boston
    I have a Partscaster I put together in the early '90s. I keep coming back to it. It has aged incredibly well. Better than I have in fact.

Partscaster.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.