Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Do you cuss onstage?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 3-Chord-Genius, Dec 6, 2017.

1. daddyplaysbass

daddyplaysbass Tele-Meister

Mar 19, 2003
    Chandler Arizona
    "Profanity is the ATTEMPT of a weakened mind to express itself forcibly"

However, I guess some types of music and audiences are the atmosphere for it.

MLaVache likes this.

2. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    Oh man.....not a good plan at all.

We played a steady gig for many years at a pub a mile from my house. The owner made it clear to every band who played there that the "F" word could never be said over a live mic. Not even muffled or said loud enough on stage for a mic to pick it up.

I was down there on an off night when a new band was booked. The singer got on the mic and being stupid announced that he was told he could not say **** over the mic and then said "but what the **** we're all adults here right so **** it.

Bye bye band. Not only did they not finish the gig they didn't even start it. The owner told them to pack up, they were done. The singer proclaimed they had to be paid anyway and THAT was his third mistake. Several regulars who included two Denver cops walked up and told them they were 86'd and had 20 minutes to tear down and leave or they'd be charged with trespassing and most likely resisting arrest.

We helped the drummer carry out the last few pieces and that was the end of any bookings for them, ever.

3. bonzo898

bonzo898 TDPRI Member

Sep 19, 2016
    Houston, TX
    From my observation the individuals that fire off a torrent of foul language into the mic are typically the least professional ones. You know, the ones who got way too drunk before/during a set and don't realize their antics come off more as pathetic than "rock and roll" or entertaining. Not to say I haven't hit the bottle harder than intended a few times during a set but at least still had the presence of mind to keep the foul mouth away from the mic.

MLaVache and Tele1966 like this.

4. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Depends on venue and crowd, but not as any kind of habit. I do a few benefits, and in that circumstance, never.

At the local brewpub, where I play weekly, I would indulge only as piquant punctuation. **ckity-doo-dah.

As far as I can remember, I've only got one song where I couldn't not use that word - but if there's any kids in the crowd, I'll just use a pause where most people can fill in the appropriate word; it's a chorus,
    4 / 4- /
    1 / 1(7th)
    5:

Sky be blue, sun do shine
    by all rights, I should be supa fine
    In my defense, there's not one word to say
    Haven't done a f***kin' thing all day.

I mean, what, I haven't done a "single" thing all day, welcome to the tea, ladies, I hope don't no one spill no beer on you...

william tele likes this.

5. ce24

ce24 Friend of Leo's

Jan 26, 2008
    Idahoastan
    Not into the mic.....

6. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    I'm not sure about this. I've seen it from Axl Rose, James Hetfield, Ozzy Osbourne (who also pulled down his pants to show us his arse during the opening riff of War Pigs....), all professionals. It might be the hard rock culture and the audiences probably expect it. The guy I was referring to is so well-respected for his talent that people seem okay with it.

7. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    Sometimes in a song, but seldom when talking to the audience.
    I've been shocked how some performers seem to have learned to speak at the Tony "Scarface" Montana school of diction.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.

8. Rasmuth

Rasmuth Tele-Afflicted

Nov 10, 2006
    Churchville, NY
    I curse all the time, on stage too...I love sentence enhancers.

9. bonzo898

bonzo898 TDPRI Member

Sep 19, 2016
    Houston, TX
    Fair enough

I guess I was speaking more in the context of smaller regional shows vs major touring acts. I would expect it more in the hard rock and metal scene although I never liked to be part of it onstage.

10. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    When I was younger I had no problem with it. I cut waaaay back on my foul language when I had kids. Now when I hear it I feel kinda weird.

11. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jan 24, 2011
    Colorado
    I'm just here to note that the word "cuss" is hilarious.

(And those who say cursing is disrespectful to my audience surely haven't met my audience.)

Jakedog and Colo Springs E like this.

12. jaybones

jaybones Tele-Afflicted

Interesting analogy, since Miles famously said "Its the notes I don't play..."

And as someone who is admittedly self amused and says things for shock value, when someone comments on it I say "You should here the things I don't say."

Jakedog likes this.

13. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Tele-Holic

Sep 11, 2016
    L.A.
    I don't make a habit of it. Something might slip out if I'm yapping at/with the crowd between songs.

14. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Tele-Afflicted

Sep 22, 2014
    Pahrump, nv
    I play almost exclusively at church... so the most I could get away with is damn and ass depending on biblical application...

1955 and 3-Chord-Genius like this.

15. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

Jul 26, 2008
    Sedalia, MO
    Depends on the audience and venue and the moment.

16. sockgtr

sockgtr Tele-Meister

Mar 3, 2016
    Portland, OR

17. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    And that may be fine if and where it's expected but it's by no means universal in all venues for all crowds. Usually some intelligence coupled with discretion is called for. Some bands and entertainers lack both.

3-Chord-Genius and MLaVache like this.

18. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Colorado Springs
    ha ha rare moment of agreement between me and the 'torch :) Seriously, surprised at some of the prudish attitudes here.

Too much foul language on stage is lame, but an occasional well-placed expletive or crass comment works well at the places I go.

Jakedog and 1955 like this.

19. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I'm no prude.
    I just don't go anywhere and run my mouth around people I don't know.
    It's disrespectful.
    Would you go to someone's home to buy a piece of gear they were selling, and say "Let's see the F'in thing?"
    The might react badly.
    You might be asked to leave, or worse.
    To me, what comes out of your mouth (words) says a lot about who you are.
    A "hot" mic is not a licence to say whatever crosses your mind.
    I do care how I am judged.
    I'm a simple, un-famous, dedicated, and committed working musician.
    I depend on my bandmates, the venues I play, and the clientele to survive (make a living).
    I want to continue to do so.
    I never, ever thought a garbage mouth was cool.

20. VintageSG

VintageSG Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Huddersfield, UK
    I'm not allowed near a mic, lest I sing. That'd be bad. Worse than any multi-letter construct deemed foul or offensive could ever hope to be.
    Last band had some slightly sweary lyrics. A well place F-bomb did the trick rather than a stream, although we did cover 'Liar' by the Sex Pistols and 'So What' by The Anti-Nowhere League.
    Between songs effing and blinding?, no.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.