Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Do you cuss onstage?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 3-Chord-Genius, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Friend of Leo's

Jan 12, 2007
    Cambridge, England
    I'll swear with my mates, swear like a trooper when I'm doing some DIY and it goes wrong (frequently) but not with people I've just met, not with women (unless they have already done so) and NEVER on stage. That just wouldn't be classy at all.

MLaVache and Tele1966 like this.

2. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Tele-Holic

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    I think the key word in SC's comment is "copious" which has many definitions, but I think he was going for "regular" more than "significant amount" I have heard the argument (supposedly backed up by what must have been interesting research) that occasional well timed & pointed use of profanity is coupled w/ unusual intelligence, apparently there are a number of high profile Ivy League types who can really spin it out when necessary.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/faith-salie-some-frank-words-about-profanity/

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    Jakedog likes this.

3. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Nov 16, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    On stage not so much, at home even less, on the pipe line, we give sailors lessons.

brookdalebill and Jakedog like this.

4. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Meister

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    It's my right as an entertainer.

Jakedog likes this.

5. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty
    Sure, if the pay is right

teletimetx, Jakedog and brookdalebill like this.

6. Allen Peterson

Allen Peterson Tele-Meister

Sep 15, 2016
    Katy, Texas
    My grandfather was a coal miner. When he was a young man he had a band. He was the leader and sax player. After his wife died, he came to visit. My band was playing a church party and I thought it would be fun to have him sit onstage next to me. I was playing pedal steel and had a boom mic that I used occasionally. I had swung the mic right in front of his face. After the first song he said, "D*** Allen, this is too loud!!" He had this deep, booming voice, and all in attendance heard it loud and clear. The band leader turned to me and said get that old buzzard off the stage. Pretty funny!

No, I don't cuss on stage. I rarely cuss at all. I learned to cuss, while working construction during the summers between semesters. It has taken me 40 years to deprogram myself.

Tele1966 and brookdalebill like this.

7. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Sep 24, 2004
    Endicott, NY
    I probably cuss more than I should around the house.
    I definitely do when I'm driving alone in my car (but that's not my fault - I blame the other drivers).

But on stage, no.
    We do goof around on mic sometimes and things may slip, but that really depends on the crowd.
    With families and kids around, I'm more careful. But even if they aren't, I try not to talk like that over the PA.
    I see it as common courtesy.

If it's in the lyrics of a song, I'll be singing it. That's different.

Reminds me of the "...weaving a tapestry" line in The Christmas Story.'

Jakedog likes this.

8. Slim

Slim Tele-Holic

Apr 11, 2003
    Fayetteville, AR
    Chances are, he's up there cursing and 85% of the audience is cringing inside but no one is going to say anything. He probably read an article saying how 'intelligent people curse' and is going all out, while the audience read the same article and they don't want to look stupid by saying anything.

MLaVache likes this.

9. jondanger

jondanger Friend of Leo's

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    Cuss? I don't even like to TALK up there. I make the bass player do it so he feels like he's got a job.

10. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Friend of Leo's

Jan 12, 2007
    Cambridge, England
    Friend of mine told a story of playing in a band where the lead singer had a mic headset instead of a normal one on a stand. At the end of a song which the drummer made an absolute mess of, the singer turned to admonish him. Unfortunately he forgot the mic would pick up everything he said on stage, so the audience were treated to him screaming "Are you some kind of **** or something?" coming loud and clear through the PA.

Tele1966 likes this.

11. SomeVelvetMorning

SomeVelvetMorning TDPRI Member

Aug 10, 2017
    Gilford, New Hampshire
    I don't believe in cuss words. Words are words.

Ekko likes this.

12. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    I'm no prude...but there's a culture of MF'ing that is just repulsive. Really covers up any trace of interesting in a person...

Proper profanity is a gift and an art form. If you can't do it amazingly and sparingly then just don't do it at all.

Certain European accents really lend themselves to the effect...Billy Connolly comes to mind.

I have to confess to an admiration of Billy Bob's abilities in "Bad Santa"....

MLaVache and Flakey like this.

13. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

The Army moves cussing to an art form. Adapting words and appropriating foreign words to fill in for cussing is also a function of the military vocabulary that becomes a new language onto itself.

Example in an M.P. Co. you might hear.

"When Top finds out for sure he'll have your heals locked and chin deep in kimchi. So you best una$$ the A.O. and di di mao out of the company area until he's 10-7. He'll have that a$$!

and the other individual might respond with,

"Oh Top? He can bring all the smoke he wants! I can hang. He had the a$$ before he had teeth so it ain't nothing but a thing!

And the one giving warning might say,

"You say that now but if you get put on the carpet in front of the old man they'll might put your 4th point of contact back on the block!"

14. Doug 54

Doug 54 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Dec 12, 2004
    Ohio
    No cuss on stage

MLaVache and brookdalebill like this.

15. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Not sure exactly what you mean, but for me, I'm pretty sure the cussing would back full blast, long before I had my feet fully under me, back on the stage after so long. :^)

I didn't cuss so much, as I was just looking miserable up there when I was unsatisfied with the results we were getting. People would tell me after a spell "Bubba, you didn't seem to be having any fun up there". I thought I was having fun, but in retrospect you have to MAKE IT LOOK like you're having fun no matter what, and if you can't do that, you need to take a break.

rebelwoclue, Jakedog and william tele like this.

16. Preacher

Preacher Tele-Afflicted

Apr 17, 2007
    Big D
    Anyone see Dave Grohl with the Foo? I love their music and their love of Classic Rock, but when Dave gets going I almost cringe, it is F this and F that and this F'in guy and that F'in song...

Then I see him in a sit down interview and he is very clear and concise and makes sense with his words without the use of colorful language.

It almost insults me as I think he does the stage speak to get the best results from the audience who would never listen to him speak on diversity and the history of rock and roll. I almost feel like he is speaking down to me...as my intellect can not understand him unless he uses the F word as an adjective.

I understand that RUSH is a really good band. I understand that David Bowie was such an artist and performer that will be talked about forever. I don't need to know that RUSH is F'in Awesome! And Bowie, F that guy, he is an F'in Genius. I get it and have gotten it for a long time that they are great.

Rant over.

17. Hendrixlvr

Hendrixlvr Tele-Meister

Never....#1 rule...’be professional’...cussing onstage does not emote professionalism o_O

18. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Meister

Oct 6, 2015
    blu ridge mtn cabin
    Certainly not into the mic...

MLaVache likes this.

19. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta
    I used to.

Last few bands I have been in, I dont say anything at all unless I'm singing. Current band, I dont sing, so I dont even get a vocal mic.

20. memorex

memorex Tele-Afflicted

Jan 14, 2015
    Chicago
    I only cuss at my equipment, and only when it's not working right.

tdoty and boris bubbanov like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.