Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Do you cuss onstage?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 3-Chord-Genius, Dec 6, 2017.

1. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    Reminded me of my buddy Richard telling me about the time he had his three year old son, Ben in the truck with him and he rear ended a car at a lite.

He was so exasperated he said "F*** Ben!" There was just one or two beats and Ben said "F*** Dad!"....

2. Deeve

Deeve Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Dec 7, 2009
    Ballard
    I (still) call bingo @ my daughter's old k-8 school, where it would upset the nuns...
    My stage "persona" tells Dad Jokes (some harvested or rehabbed from here @ tdpri - thanks, folks)
    Something salty may escape when I'm in the church basement, but folks down there have heard Much worse than my tepid contributions.
    Peace - Deeve

MLaVache and Jakedog like this.

3. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    I don't swear onstage. I try not to swear in public. You never know if there are people within earshot who might not like it. My mother-in-law, for example actually flinches if someone swears around her. Mind you, she is 97, and she grew up in a time when swearing just wasn't done.
    I prefer not to be offensive to others, and I have no real need to swear in regular conversation, so I just don't do it in public.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017

4. cyclopean

cyclopean Tele-Afflicted

Aug 14, 2009
    innsmouth, MA

5. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Tele-Afflicted

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    I was about to say no, until I read this. I didn't even think of swear words in songs. I'd never censor a song.

Swearing is an important part of my day job, so I get it all out there.

Jakedog likes this.

6. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    If it's part of the lyrics in a cover song then yes.

I never swear while talking to the crowd between songs. It's not my style so it would feel like a shameless attention grab to me. If it's your style and if the venue allows it then be you.

drlucky, Colo Springs E and Jakedog like this.

7. Tele1966

Tele1966 Tele-Afflicted

Jul 30, 2014
    US
    Our band has never, nor would we ever purposefully cuss on stage. I'm sure it's happened, but as an immediate reaction to something.

Having said that, our front man has told off-color jokes that made me wince inside, but he's charismatic, the life of the party, truly sincere and sincerely liked... He once got up and spoke at a memorial service for a friend of ours and had the crowd laughing. Talented guy lol.

In my real life, around just a few close people, I cuss a bit too much for my own liking.

drlucky and MLaVache like this.

8. jaybones

jaybones Tele-Afflicted

Depends on the venue and crowd.

Afternoon solo acoustic, probably not.

Evening, in a bar with a full band, maybe. A little better chance of some blue words.

As Mark Twain famously said "Copious use of profanity is a sign of a weak mind."

Funny story: The month of February in Key West this no talent but very popular Jimmy Buffet wannabe plays Sloppy Joes every day. Guy plays all summer at Put-In-Bay (the party island right across the way), usually the former world's longest bar (now it's only the longest bar in the US).

Has such a following people from up here (party boater crowd) schedule their vacations while he's there.

I was sitting in Sloppy's at my friend Marie's bar (she worked Key West in the "winter" and here in the summer- opposite seasons, following the sun and tourist money) while he was playing. Main bartender gets a tip and rings the tip bell once. Not overly loud or excessively. Just ding.

Middle of the afternoon, families with kids in there eating and what not. Dailey stops playing mid song and says on the mic, pointing his finger "I TOLD YOU WHEN I'M PLAYING YOU DON'T RING THAT ****!NG BELL!!!! I'VE TOLD YOU THAT BEFORE YOU ****!NG A$$HOLE! WHEN! I'M! SINGING! YOU DON'T! TOUCH! THAT ****!NG BELL!!!"

Says "Show's over folks. And you can THANK THAT ****!NG A$$HOLE BEHIND THE BAR!!"

Put his guitar (Ovation deluxe) away and stomps off the stage. Manager talks to him about the contract he signed. After realizing he won't get paid and will lose his month of gigs (I was close enough to overhear) he asks the manager "I'll go back on stage is he doesn't ring the bell again."

Returns to the stage picks up where he left off without a word to the audience.

And Pat Dailey has a song "I won't do Buffet, cause Buffet don't do me"

MLaVache likes this.

9. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    Not into a live mic I hope.

10. Gibson

Gibson Friend of Leo's

Feb 13, 2007
    Park Island
    I'm not a performing musician, so I probably shouldn't.

11. Ekko

Ekko TDPRI Member

Jul 31, 2017
    Texas
    Rarely anymore, but it depends on the audience/venue/etc.

Back in the day at high school house party punk shows, it was almost required. ;)

12. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'm a non singing Bass player on stage.... no reason to cuss, even if there were a mic nearby...:D

13. 9fears08

9fears08 Tele-Meister

Jul 6, 2016
    Bristol, UK
    Depends on the venue and what your (agreed) objective is as a band.

If it’s a family audience and you want to make people clap and sing along then seems stupid to me.

If you’re Rage Against The Machine and you want to get people angry about the state of the world then seems stupid not to..

Minimalist518 and Jakedog like this.

14. 9fears08

9fears08 Tele-Meister

Jul 6, 2016
    Bristol, UK
    I should add that right now I’m in a band that’s the former but in my early 20s it was very much the latter..although personally I never did a huge amount on stage..

15. DonM

DonM Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Henderson,NV/SLC,UT
    No; and never liked it when others did. I cuss, thanks to working in the Pittsburgh area steel mills, but agree it's disrespectful to your audience.

MLaVache and 3-Chord-Genius like this.

16. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Yeah, like Jakedog, I write swearing into lots of my songs.

Jakedog likes this.

17. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    I have a friend who is the most civil fella you could ever meet, but when he gets in his bar band, he lets the fbombs rip. It's actually kinda jarring if you know him.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.

18. orangeblossom

orangeblossom Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

19. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    Yes, into a live mic. "We're gonna do a song that I f***ing love! This is a great f***king song."

20. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2017
    Port Arthur TX
    Never trust a person who doesn't curse....but not on onstage....good way to lose a gig.

brookdalebill likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.