Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Do you cuss onstage?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 3-Chord-Genius, Dec 6, 2017 at 9:47 PM.

1. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    I have a friend who is a vocalist in a band who rarely uses foul language in person; on stage it's like a persona of some sort kicks in and every other word is f***.

wayloncash likes this.

2. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    Never never never. Much like playful innuendos on stage, you can get far more mileage by hinting at things without actually saying them and letting the individual audience members fill in the blanks however they see fit.

3. static111

static111 Tele-Meister

Aug 29, 2009
    Aiel Waste

4. rburd2

rburd2 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 13, 2016
    Georgia, US
    I curse like a sailor but, onstage, I try to keep it pretty tame. Maybe a d**n or a h**l, but not every other word. Our singer even turns the mic to the audience of the F word is in one of our covers (Alanis Morrissette, I'm looking at you).

RyCo1983, MLaVache and 3-Chord-Genius like this.

5. Peregrino69

Peregrino69 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Dec 12, 2016
    Amsterdam
    Seen ppl like that. A specific stage persona steps in. Usually those ppl tend to be a bit reclusive off-stage. Some of them are holding themselves too tight in everyday life and on stage just let go. Others are working out their issues.

Cuss, yes I do. But then again I'm not on the mic ;) When I have been, I'm keeping it family appropriate.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.

6. LP26

LP26 Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2017
    Earth
    I try to avoid cursing generally.
    Base language generally adds nothing to the conversation and ends up being little more than air pollution.

Driver3, MLaVache, WallyArms and 7 others like this.

7. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Tele-Afflicted

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    I try not to cuss too much in any aspect of my life, and NEVER on stage.

8. Darkness

Darkness Tele-Holic

Apr 7, 2016
    Stygian Gulf
    Profanity peppers my casual talk, but I detest it in public. There’s no need for it. Following the golden rule, I put a lid on it when I’m out and about. All for one and one for all.

drlucky, wayloncash, MLaVache and 7 others like this.

9. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Mar 28, 2012
    Sou Cal

10. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2010
    Fullerton CA
    Oh, yes. If you met my band, you'd understand...

11. Frontman

Frontman Tele-Meister

Jul 10, 2014
    Tokyo
    Nope. I quit a time ago. When I was young, I never cussed, but then came the Army.

When I finished training and got to my unit, my platoon sergeant was quite clear about cussing. Rangers were supposed to cuss, and any sentence without the F-word was not grammatically correct.

“Good f****n morning men!” he would shout every morning. The correct reply was “F****n hooah sergeant!” Instead of “roger” or “I understand”, we were supposed to say “f****’n A!”

All was fine and dandy until I talked with my mom on the phone one day, not paying attention to what I was saying. There was a silence on the other end of the line, and it took me a moment to figure out why.

After that I stopped swearing (except while driving in traffic alone).

12. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    I'm kind of out of practice. I'd just embarrass myself...

studio1087 and Chicago Matt like this.

13. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    I got kids; I never swear around them. ONCE, I got so mad at one of em I used GDI, and of course a day later the 8yo was saying it, so we had to have that conversation.

I work (and usually perform) at a school, so I keep it clean. Heck, we couldn't even do "Hey Joe" at our performance in November because it was "too dark"...

MLaVache and william tele like this.

14. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Tele-Afflicted

No.
    It is disrespectful to your audience, and they are paying your bills.

Slip Kid, MLaVache, WallyArms and 4 others like this.

15. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Not on stage.
    At my, uh, level of maturity, I wish I didn’t cuss/swear as much as I do in private discourse.
    Onstage, cussing is unprofessional and uncalled for.
    It ain’t entertaining, either.

16. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    Depends. It's not part of my schtick. But I'll do it to get a point across. Not on purpose to get a reaction, it just happens.

Like most things, if you're trying too hard, you're trying too hard.

Has to be natural. It's punctuation. It's not the sentence.

17. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    Sidebar-

Some songs contain profanity. Some of my songs contain profanity.

That's not cussing, that's writing. I will refrain from performing some songs with kids present. I will NOT change lyrics to my song or anybody else's, for anybody, or any reason.

If there's no kids, and an F bomb offends you, go see somebody else, or grow the hell up.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.