Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Do You Care Who Is In The Band Anymore?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bones, Jul 9, 2018.

1. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm looking at those Virginia dates.

I think Nashville will be a nuthouse.

Paul in Colorado likes this.

2. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Meister

Jun 2, 2015
    Arkansas
    I saw CCR without Tom Fogarty. Rhythm guitar was a large part of CCR's sound. They shoulda hired someone to play rhythm instead of JF just turning up so loud.
    BTW, IMHO, JF was not CCR, because his solo efforts have not been near the same vibe.

DonM and Fearnot like this.

3. boris bubbanov

To me, it wasn't the absence of Bill that made the later shows not my favorites. It was the sheer size of the venues and crowds. It seemed to go from a relatively small, stalwart collection of kindred souls, to a mega-scene where every young or youngish person wanted to be there. Just to say they'd been there.

I'm afraid later Cure concerts was the same thing. Too much worldwide notoriety, means even a very well executed show is not the same experience.

4. boris bubbanov

I think the idea of not replacing Tom, was Stu and Doug's idea.

Frankly, I think the parts that Tom was assigned, could've been played by virtually any hired guitar player - some of the easiest stuff I've ever played. Those sounds should have been there, I agree 100%, but to be honest, I think you could hire another rhythm section (including 2d guitar) behind JC's voice and lead guitar and it would've stood up extremely well.

But at least you saw 3 of the 4. I've talked to people who have seen Creedence Clearwater Revisited, and nobody was impressed that I talked to (that was Stu and Doug, plus 2 hires I think).

Owenmoney and CharlieO like this.

5. Andy B

Andy B Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mar 16, 2003
    Colorado
    Yes it matters. I'm not a fan of whoever owns the right to the band's name fronting a group of professional musicans performing as______.
    If it is an individual performer it is a different story.

6. optofonik

optofonik Tele-Meister

Dec 23, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Very much so. At least we had them both to ourselves for awhile.

I do wish Bob would change his "look" a bit. It worked when he was younger but now he looks like my crazy cat lady neighbor. Michael is aging with a bit more grace, as are the rest of REM.

boris bubbanov likes this.

7. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    At that point, bringing another person into the mix was probably a bad idea. Without taking any sides, things had gotten pretty toxic in the CCR camp.

8. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Tele-Afflicted

Aug 30, 2011
    U.S.A.
    It depends.

The Who? Yes, it matters. Not going to see them when they come around. No way in hell! You couldn't buy someone to replace Keith Moon or John Entwistle with all the money in the world.

Uriah Heep, with one original member? Just saw 'em, and had a fine time.

AC/DC without Malcolm? Gave 'em a chance, had some fun at the concert...but it wasn't great. Brian Johnson is bad enough, but no Mal was just pointless.

Stones? I'd see 'em any way they come...even without Charlie (though I would hope they would officially disband once any one of the remaining original members dies or retires).

Zeppelin without Bonzo (IF it ever happened)? No. He's the only thing I liked about that band.

Variants of the Kinks? Yes. Have seen them, and they rocked. Although a true reunion would be the ultimate event for me...

B-52's? I was skeptical, but we got free tickets, so what they hell. Boy, was I proven wrong. They absolutely rocked the hell out of the place. One of the best live bands I have ever seen – up there with the Stones.

Devo? Same as the B-52's. They still absolute kill live.

MC5, yes. As long as Wayne Kramer is still kickin', I trust him to put together a good show.

Stooges? Yes, I saw them with just a replacement bassist (though they weren't very good – Mike Watt didn't cut it on bass). A BIG NO now that both Ashetons are dead and Iggy is the last one left. They are irreplaceable. Ain't nobody can play the drum kit like Scott Asheton.

New York Dolls...or "The Two York Dolls," as my friend calls 'em? Didn't wanna like 'em, but they've still got what it takes to put together a good show. Not great, but I had fun.

Point being, it's on a case-by-case basis.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018

9. Boubou

Boubou Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Jul 30, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    That was my point:lol:

10. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Hendersonville, TN
    I would have gone to see the Yardbirds recently despite only one? remaining original. They had
    Johnny A onboard though so it was kind of an exception to the rule. It just didn't work out for me
    to get to that show though. I regret that.

11. optofonik

optofonik Tele-Meister

Dec 23, 2015
    Los Angeles
    I would add The Psychedelic Furs to that late 70s/80s list. They are still having a great time on stage and the audience can tell; it's a great show. Furs, Devo, and B52s, would be a blast on the same bill.

12. amhildreth

amhildreth TDPRI Member

Mar 9, 2015
    Rochester, NY
    On the 80's list, the Fixx are still out on the road with all the original members back in, and they sound fantastic. Jamie's guitar has only gotten better with time. The Tubes lost a few, but still have most of the original members. With Fee Waybill still singing, they do a kickass show. I saw Starship not long ago, but Mickey is the only original left. Even with his familiar vocals, the songs felt like they were missing something.

13. ToneGrail

ToneGrail Tele-Meister

Nov 19, 2010
    Baltimore
    It depends on the band. In general it has to have the same singer and main songwriter, or at a minimum, at least one of the two depending on the situation.

For example the band Nazareth is NOT the same band without Dan McCafferty. Not even close. I can't even stand to listen to them with their current singer. Their main songwriter, Manny Charlton, left the band a long ago and their music took a big dive. It was like splitting up Jagger and Richards. If a band is going to replace their singer, the replacement better as sure as hell sound EXACTLY like the original singer in most cases. I can only thing of two examples of exceptions to this rule:

1. Brian Johnson replacing Bon Scott in ACDC. In this unique case, it actually worked.

2. The various singers of Black Flag. In this case, they weren't really singers but shouted. So it really didn't matter who fronted the band as long as they were good front men. The main songwriter, Greg Ginn, was always a constant.

14. boris bubbanov

Oh, yeah, in terms of interpersonal dynamics, bringing in another guitarist would have been perilous.

But IMO it would've improved the product insofar as the sound of things.

15. boris bubbanov

The Fixx was simply an amazing show, in the years around 1984. We had a World's Fair and they did quite a number of shows associated with it and I think I ended up seeing them something like 7 times over a 3 year period. Glad to hear the originals are back together, hope they make it back south.

16. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Tamworth, 'straya.
    Ok, let me rephrase my opinion (for all the nit-pickers out there). Up until the point that he died, I thought George Michael would've been a good replacement for Freddy Mercury.

Is that better? :D

william tele likes this.

17. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Tele-Afflicted

Aug 30, 2011
    U.S.A.
    Funny you should mention them. They were the opener at the B-52's show I was talking about.

They weren't bad from a quality perspective; I'm just not into their music.

18. DonM

DonM Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Henderson,NV/SLC,UT
    Yeah, I never thought much of the three piece CCR either. Missed the rhythm guitar big time. While Fogerty’s solo work missed the CCR vibe, and after reading his book that may have been intentional, his current live concerts don’t; they’re better.

CharlieO likes this.

19. cactusrob

cactusrob Friend of Leo's

Aug 26, 2009
    Georgia
    Yes, it matters. In some instances, I don't like it when there are only one or two members left and they keep going on under the original band name. I can understand why they do it, though. After so many years I imagine the band becomes your identity and what else are you going to do, sell insurance?

(Edit: having said that, I would like to see The Eagles with Vincent Gill and Glenn Frey's son in the lineup. Their lineup has been steady but never static throughout their entire time together.)

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.