Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Do Squier Teles have humbucker routing?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by david-rf, Jul 5, 2018.

1. david-rf

david-rf TDPRI Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Italy
    Hi there, I'm looking for a Squier Tele for a little project... I want an inexpensive Tele with humbucker-sized P90 on the neck and humbucker on the bridge (but in the bridge a DiMarzio single coil sized humbucker would do).

Which Squier models come with HH or at least SH routing? Thanks

2. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Meister

May 23, 2018
    Lake View
    Classic Vibes have larger neck pickup routing.

tintag27 likes this.

3. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    The standard used to be routed SH. (haven't checked that lately)

And of course there were some HH models in the past. Like The VM Custom (HH) or the new contemporary series HH tele. And of course you could replacethe pickups in a VM '72 Custom.

4. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Does Squier make a 72 Thinline?

That would be HH.

5. bender66

bender66 Friend of Leo's

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    Yep & yep.

6. reactor99

reactor99 TDPRI Member

Jan 1, 2017
    Georgia, USA
    The 2017 Standard Tele (Indonesia) has a humbucker neck route and a standard bridge route.

7. LooseJack

LooseJack Tele-Meister

Feb 4, 2017
    transit lounge
    My 2005 standard doesn't.

[​IMG]

8. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    Strange that the 2005 standard didn't have routing for a humbucker. At that time they sold a Fat Telecaster (SH) in the Squier Standard series.

9. IronSchef

IronSchef Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

my 2012 Sq Standard Tele had an HB route in the neck:
    [​IMG]

And so did my CV 50s BSB:
    IMG_0504.jpg

10. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    How come Fender puts those lips in the pocket?

11. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Meister

May 23, 2018
    Lake View
    The neck pocket? Because the router bit is a bigger radius than the corners of the neck itself, so for the neck to fit all the way down, the router has to continue past what would make a "normal" curved corner.

A smaller router bit would make for a better looking corner, but that would take more time and time is money.

12. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Meister

Dec 19, 2017
    Seattle, WA
    I was typing my answer when jfgesquire beat me to the punch. If you look at the routs, they all appear to have corners of the same radius. The factory either didn't have, or didn't want to take time to swap out, smaller router bits that match the radius of the neck corners. They wanted to use the same router bits for all the routs, to save time and money.

13. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    My GFSs don't have that, or my older Affinty or MIM Standard.

jfgesquire likes this.

14. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Meister

May 23, 2018
    Lake View
    Manufacturers are always looking for ways to cut time from the production schedule.

The Telecaster is a wonderful example of that . . . at this very moment I'm learning all about the neck pickup-to-control cavity rout that disappeared in 1968 give or take 6 months.

It's interesting because that little drill hole from the neck pocket down to the control cavity can really drive you nuts trying to feed 2 cloth pushback wires down it... But AHA! Fender changed to the PVC right around the same time!

So did they change to the PVC because the cloth was a pain to feed, or because the PVC was cheaper?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.