Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Do power tubes have to be pushed to show their characteristics?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by 3-Chord-Genius, Sep 23, 2017.

1. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    Which tubes did you replace with the JJ's? Preamp out output section? I'm noticing that the controls on this amp are very interactive, more so than any other amp I've had. I had read about this before, but now I'm actually paying attention and am seeing it. I can eliminate the low E string flub by using less gain, and turning the bass knob way back - I don't really lose any bass output by doing this - there is still solid low end, but it takes the flub off.

2. jannodude

jannodude Tele-Meister

Aug 10, 2016
    SF Bay Area/California
    I changed all four as soon as I noticed a weird flabbiness (I could have experimented with which tube may have caused it).

I agree on your premise that the controls are interactive albeit a little sensitive at times. It doesn't have the typical "volume spike" that some tube amps suffer from. I keep my bass/treble around 9-10 o'clock when I crank the gain/volume.

I find that there is a limit on how loud it can before the sound quality diminishes. After a certain volume setting, it doesn't get any louder but harsher IMHO.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.