Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Do necks with Tru Oil have stability issues?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Vespa_One, Feb 11, 2018.

Tags:

Do Tru Oil necks have stability issues?

1. YES

2. NO

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Perhaps I misunderstand. But when referring to "stability" of the neck relating to finish, I doubt people primarily mean "tuning stability". I suspect it is something more fundamental: avoiding warping, twisting, humping (watch it . . .) and other things that can go wrong with a piece of lumber that is not sufficiently "sealed" for lack of a better term.

nojazzhere likes this.

2. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

Jan 11, 2013
    San Francisco
    In all seriousness this doesn't address the OP's question. I totally agree that manufacturers wouldn't want to do something more labor intensive than what they could get away with. But, the reasoning that they wouldn't use something like TruOil because of warranty issues is inconclusive at best, and there have been a lot of good points brought up in this thread that say it seals and is durable. The poll indicates as such as well. Myself and others have used it with good results and I wouldn't trust someone like Fender to tell me the best way to build a guitar - at least not anymore. Hell, you build them better than they do.

3. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    You're right... but what it does address is the logic behind my thinking... if thinking is what I do. :p

If I just said, No, don't do it.. the follow up is usually Huh . . well why?? so there's the answer..

rk

AAT65 and lammie200 like this.

4. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    :eek: Oh, I didn’t realize you were saying don’t do it! :lol::lol:

5. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    It's a time and labor problem for big manufacturers, not the product quality. There isn't a quick step to Tru-Oil.

CFFF likes this.

6. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    Correct, done correctly.... I can tell ya... guys coating their necks with Tru Oil are after thin , not correct..

rk

7. ftbtx

ftbtx Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Doesn't EBMM sell necks with gun oil and wax finish? Perhaps they only offer that on quartersawn necks?

8. edvard

edvard Tele-Holic

May 15, 2016
    Bremerton, WA
    There's a good Gearpage thread that shows how one guy gets a mirror-finish on his lap steels with Tru-Oil. Too bad Photobucket took a crap on the entire internet, those pictures were awesome. I saved one:
    [​IMG]
    Here's the thread:
    https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...-get-a-high-gloss-from-tru-oil-finish.711780/

People who think thin coatings are the way to go are the same people who bought into the the whole "vintage necks are finished thin" and "poly doesn't let the neck 'breathe'" myths. I swear I'm not trolling, please nobody get offended, this is simply what I've concluded from my own Googling research.
    FWIW, there are many reasons I used Tru-Oil, but "thin" is not one of them. I finished my first build with at least 10-20 coats of Tru-Oil (I lost count around 12 or so) and it's still pretty thin compared to my '82 Bullet, but looks thicker than my '97 Squier Strat. Go figure.

R. Stratenstein and CFFF like this.

9. Zepfan

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    The necks and fretboards that I've done(All Red Oak), I've only applied 4 to 5 thin coats. Buff with steel wool. They have turned out great, but it did take 3 to 5 days to do it.

I think some of the reasons people want to do it this way is the lack of spraying equipment or a decent area to spray on a finish. Some may also not have the confidence to try a spray on finish.

RomanS and CFFF like this.

10. Zepfan

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Your probably right about the guys going after the thin coats because a thick coat done right would take several weeks.:lol:
    Then there's the guy that slathers on a super thick coat and wonders why it didn't work out.:D

11. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Holic

May 1, 2017
    Denver, CO
    Don't forget that TO costs $8 at Walmart and you can do it on your kitchen table with a coffee filter!

The "real" way requires lots of expensive ventilation and protective equipment. One's choice of finish depends on the scope of the project, ease of use, ease of maintenance over the lifetime of the instrument, and so on. For someone who is replacing a single neck with a pre-built neck, they're likely either going with Reranch in a can (still need a respirator $$) or something rubbed in.

Those folks (like me :p ), while not being a professional of any degree, can still have the aptitude to execute a very nice finish with something like TO. The thing is, you gotta do your homework and read about how other people did it successfully or effed it up hahaha!

My philosophy about finishing is the same as waxing your car: it's not necessarily what you're using but rather how you use it. Well-applied TO is better than poorly applied nitro/poly/etc.

12. Speedfish

Speedfish Tele-Meister

What kind of finish do satin guitar necks use? My Squier Cyclone doesn't feel like it has any finish on it at all. Will it be less stable over time?

13. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

Jan 11, 2013
    San Francisco
    I don't know if that is true if people are putting 30 coats on and buffing to a high gloss, but on a coat by coat basis the only way you can put it on is with thin coats. If you do a thick coat it won't dry and you will be gumming up your 3m pads, or steel wool, to take out the ridges that the brush or pad applicator leaves. However, like you say, there are probably people that aren't using it correctly.

I think that their Axis series is made that way, but I also think that there was a time when they offered the same guitar without any neck finish at all. It would be interesting to see how thin the current finish is.

ftbtx likes this.

14. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    That's why I went with tru-oil to finish a body, I don't buy into the let the wood breathe stuff and did more coats than I can care to remember (10+) and would have sprayed some poly preferably but I lived in a flat and didn't have a space to spray. My next project is getting a solid colour and some clearcoat out a rattle can.

It's a common misconception "doesn't feel like it has any finish on it at all" usually means the finish surface hasn't been fine sanded and buffed. You can have a really thick poly finish and finish sanding at 1000 grit or equivalent and you'll get a satin finish.

15. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    Here's what I've learned . . .
    "Do necks with Tru Oil have stability issues?" Answer NO.
    The people who ask for thin finishes :p and apply TO for a thin finish :eek:, do have issues! :lol:

R. Stratenstein likes this.

16. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.

Nope. Not me. I don't really care about thin or thick. That's in the same discussion category of tonewood, and I don't need to go there.

I want a neck that is adequately protected from dirt, moisture and crud off my hands (like dirt and moisture), but most of all a good "fast" non-sticky feel. A good lacquer finish that's been deglossed is good, but to my hands, a deglossed Tru-oil finish feels better.

Meteorman, DrASATele, Mase and 2 others like this.

17. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2015
    Saskatchewan
    For $5 and other considerations I am willing to declare the winner in this p*zzing contest right now:rolleyes:

18. Smiff

Smiff Tele-Meister

Oct 1, 2017
    UK
    Dunno about TruOil, Snake Oil maybe haha.

What about all these 50 and 60 year old necks that have had their original finish worn off long ago and have basically been bare wood for decades? They don’t warp do they? They better not do for $25k :lol:

CFFF likes this.

19. Smiff

Smiff Tele-Meister

Oct 1, 2017
    UK
    Years ago when I was in an Eddie Van Halen phase and didn’t know any better, I read he sanded the backs of his necks and put oil on them; so I did the same. Only I banged a load of 3 in 1 on there as I didn’t have a clue. Recently I had some extra special Olive Oil going spare as it lasted longer than the 8 days I expected it to haha, so I cleaned the neck for the first time in 10 years and put some of that on. Never had any bother with warping or anything. Maybe I got lucky.

20. Meteorman

Meteorman Tele-Holic

Dec 23, 2012
    State College PA
    Respectfully, I think this is confusing the newer moisture-cured polyurethanes with the more traditional oil-based polys (e.g. the good ol' gold label MinWax stuff from big box stores). I'm guessing the latter is what the vast majority of DIY folks use, including the rattle can stuff. The new moisture-cured stuff is pretty nasty to beathe and expensive.... and yes this includes the variant that is the basis of moisture-curing Gorilla Glue....
    Tru-Oil is oil based.

A generalization that applies to many, but likely does not apply to just as many.
    I don't doubt a lotta folks are screwing up their Tru-Oil application. A lotta folks aren't.
    This forum is a biased sample, of course, because if you're on here, you're already showing some interest in learning and doing things right.

Nothing breeds opinions like wood finishes, eh? (except tonewood... and tone caps... and Nickleback... )

DrASATele and trouserpress like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.