Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Do necks with Tru Oil have stability issues?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Vespa_One, Feb 11, 2018.

Tags:

Do Tru Oil necks have stability issues?

1. YES

2. NO

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Vespa_One

Vespa_One Tele-Holic

Feb 14, 2017
    US
    I've read recently people saying that necks with Tru Oil may have stability issues as they age. The finish is not hard enough. Warmoth does not warranty necks with Tru Oil. Tru Oil bad.

I have built several guitars with Tru Oil. They are all less than two years old. So far no stability issues. I love the way the necks feel. They have varying levels of thickness from many coats with a thick gloss sheen to only a handful of coats soaking in to the wood and a light sheen. I wonder if I should add more oil to the thinner finish necks?

Do necks with Tru Oil have stability issues?

2. igor5

igor5 Tele-Meister

Nov 28, 2016
    Brazil
    No way. I own a strat with tru oil neck.. very stable neck.

nojazzhere and Vespa_One like this.

3. CFFF

CFFF Tele-Meister

Oct 31, 2016
    Maybe they can be sticky to touch?

Vespa_One likes this.

4. igor5

igor5 Tele-Meister

Nov 28, 2016
    Brazil
    I don't think so.

5. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    T-O isn't like a typical "oil finish". It's more like a varnish when it cures. It's dang tough! Beats me why Warmoth doesn't recognize that...

6. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    it would depend on how thick the final finish is. If you only put 2 layers on id think humidity and temperature might have a larger effect on how the truss rod needs setting.

Vespa_One likes this.

7. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    Tru Oil is not considered a finish that fully seals the wood. Many neck makers will not guarantee a neck finished with the product. That should suggest something to those considering it as a finish.

Many have used it with success, but you have to remember, this is the internet and few are likely to admit failure... ever... Like, "Oh yeah, I used it... it was great...." "So where is the guitar now?? .."Oh, It didn't feel right so I CLed it.".. Um what is it that you "feel" when playing a guitar? :p

rk

8. dsutton24

dsutton24 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    Tru-Oil does not fail over time. Warmouth's warranty doesn't cover neck with oil finishes on them, meaning linseed oil and the like, Tru-Oil is fine on Warmoth necks. It dries hard, isn't sticky, and is a great finish for necks. I've four or five necks with Tru-Oil finishes, Tru-Oil is my favorite neck finish.

Remember, this is the internet, a place where experts will trample over their own dogs and children to tell you that anything you're doing is immoral, dangerous, and just plain wrong.

9. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    I think the fact that several neck makers will not warranty their necks if the buyer applies an oil finish speaks to the huge hobbyist guitar building market more than to properly applied oil finishes that are actual finishes as opposed to just oils.

I got a great deal on a bunch of cans of "pure tung oil", which of course does not dry into a hard finish.
    I've also used boiled linseed oil as a base finish. Same idea, it's not really "a finish".

So rather than neck companies requiring a video and chemistry confirmation of what was done to their neck in order to promise the neck will be stable, they simply lump all "oil finishes" together.

I would be more wary of a shellac finish than a Tru Oil finish.

DavidV, Vespa_One and howardlo like this.

10. Ronkirn

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    Tru Oil is a Polymerized Varnish... Of course PolyUrethane's chemistry is not far removed .. Polymerized means it requires an external component to cure.... in the case of Tru Oil that external factor is the ambient moisture in the air... The same as rattle can Polyurethane... Many actually consider TruOil a Polyurethane..

SO yeah It CAN seal ... however the method of application may be problematical... ya rub it on.... so some feel that process can force the liquid down into the grain of open grain woods, like Swamp Ash, Oak, Mahogany, Hickory, Walnut... etc... which if the grain is filled works fine, but on "nude" wood... ???

In an application relative to a guitar, the usual preference it a thin finish, precluding the application of products customarily used to prep the lumber for the final coats... that doesn't usually happen, as guys will simply take a rag and smear it on.

That process will not seal the lumber, because the viscosity of the solution prevents it from seeping deep into the grain.. is stays in suspension, and once cured, the grain is still open to the atmosphere.. The finish just "riding" the surface...

NOW.. since most necks are Maple, a closed, tight grained lumber you will probably be OK...

But in years past, the general consensus was Tru Oil does not seal the lumber...But, fact is.. few finishes do, just some do so better than others

Shi* . . I stepped on the dog and kicked the Kid... I hate it when I do that...:p

I cannot argue with that one.. :D

Oh, and let me add... Tru Oil is a quick easy finish, and far better than NO finish...

rk

2blue2, nojazzhere, Smiff and 4 others like this.

11. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    TruOil is marketed as a gunstock finish.

Think duck hunting blind on a sleety, rainy cold November morning with your Lab curled up, shivering at your feet, and rain and slush rolling off your grade AAAAAAA Carpathian Walnut burl shotgun stock. TruOil recommends 4-5 coats for gunstock applications.

So you don’t think it will adequately protect your guitar neck against a little hand sweat, or a spilled beer?

If you got neck problems, don’t blame it on the TruOil.

12. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Must remember that Tru-Oil should be applied in several "THIN" coats and allowing the appropriate drying time between coats. Otherwise you'll have a finish that's sticky/gummy. Old Tru-Oil can be a problem too.

Vespa_One and CFFF like this.

13. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

Jan 11, 2013
    San Francisco
    I agree. When gunstocks start failing because they were finished with TruOil there will be an uproar much more fierce that what we can drum up here talking about Teles. As far as I know that hasn't happened.

MountainTwang, Ekko and Vespa_One like this.

14. CFFF

CFFF Tele-Meister

Oct 31, 2016
    When tru oil has been applied for some years it will be old. Will it become a problem?

So what kind of oil is this really? Anyone know?

15. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

I had a 47 year old tele neck refinned with Danish Oil 5yrs ago.

Still stable ....

Vespa_One likes this.

16. cabra velha

cabra velha Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Jan 21, 2016
    estados unidos
    I've only used TO on roasted maple which i believe is warrantied for any finish (or no finish at all). no stability issues with any of the 3 i've done so far.

Its strictly a personal theory, but when it comes to maple i think it depends more on the specific piece of wood than the finish, i avoid highly figured maple. Others will disagree.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    RomanS and Vespa_One like this.

17. Zepfan

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    I'm talking about the product that has been sitting on a shelf for a long time, not already applied. After it's applied and dried according to the directions, it will be fine for years to come.
    It's similar to Linseed and Tung Oil.

Vespa_One and CFFF like this.

18. CFFF

CFFF Tele-Meister

Oct 31, 2016
    Thank you for this. I have been thinking about refinishing one of my guitars and discussions like this are very helpful :)

Vespa_One likes this.

19. Zepfan

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Yes it's harder to get a good finish on the harder woods, it takes longer to penetrate and dry. Which is why lots of people just spray a lacquer/nitro finish on.

Vespa_One likes this.

20. Ronkirn

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    consider this.... in a large production oriented manufacturing plant, cutting costs is paramount... one of the more expensive items used to manufacture guitars is the cost of the lacquer or poly used on guitar necks.. and the further labor required to get them into a marketable condition such as polishing...IF Tru Oil were a quality solution, where wiping on a couple of quick coats did the trick, particularly considering "you guys" insatiable appetite for thin finishes..... don't ya think someone would be offering it? It would be a marketing bonanza... gotta be a reason..

rk

abrianb and gkterry like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.