Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Do mini humbuckers have a distinctive sound?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by blowtorch, Dec 2, 2017.

1. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Tele-Afflicted

Feb 19, 2015
    TooFarFromCanada
    Sorry about your friend, Tonetele.

LPTyler likes this.

2. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

Jul 26, 2008
    Sedalia, MO
    I love them all, but I have a set of Rumpel Vintage Firebird pups that are slowly convincing me that bird pups are the perfect bucker, along with Filtertrons.

3. JagInTheBag

JagInTheBag TDPRI Member

Sep 23, 2017
    Grayslake, IL
    These have a cult following amongst G&L fans. All for the same reasons mentioned above:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. MDent77

MDent77 Tele-Holic

Jun 13, 2016
    New England
    I agree. A tad brighter and can get that Grit easier.

5. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

Jun 27, 2005
    Montclair, NJ
    I've heard/played many. The differences between firebird minis and others is easy to pick up. Outside of that, hard to generalize without considering the guitar (body style, scale) in which you find them. I've played many solid bodies with vintage and newer, lower wind minis. Some nice sounds, but not for me. Whereas, get a vintage Epiphone Riviera or an Elitist Riviera (or equivalent), that's a different story. Big on twang in the middle position. You get these huge variations of tone by working the positions, tone knob. Check out Bobby Radcliffe's "Live at the Rynborn" album. IMO, a set of perfect electric tones here. His was a memphis made Gibson from the early 90s I think.

I'd love to hear the lower wind minis in a larger archtop guitar.
    MD

6. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Holic

Nov 11, 2012
    Madison, WI, USA
    I had a 70s (I think) LP Deluxe, with the lower output minis. I would agree that there are brighter and have more clarity than a regular bucker. I loved that guitar into an early 800 50 watt halfstack, more so than my higher output full size humbuckers. The amp had enough to rock the low output pup, but it had more clarity, if that makes sense.

Zepfan likes this.

7. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

I had a G&L vintage guitar just like that one. Those pickups were too bright and powerful for my taste, but YMMV of course.

8. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

Kookaburra I had almost the same rig and I agree. I think a 70s LP Deluxe with maple neck is a great blues-rock guitar: especially into a Marshall, Orange, or Hiwatt.

9. Minimalist518

Minimalist518 Tele-Holic

Mar 5, 2017
    Albany
    I had a very similar guitar in sunburst with mother-of-toilet-seat pickguard, plates and headstock face. It was branded “Bruno Conqueror.” I loved the ratty single coils in that guitar. Never should have moved it on.
    Bruno must be Lyle’s brother!

10. 4 Cat Slim

4 Cat Slim Friend of Leo's

Oct 17, 2012
    Nelson City TX
    My experience is with the mini humbuckers on a Les Paul Deluxe. I'd describe the sound as
    having a bit more treble. Whether it's worth it to swap out?I don't know.

11. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Nov 3, 2003
    North Louisiana around Many
    In the early 70's I bought a Les Paul Custom black Beauty and in the later 70's got a LP Deluxe with midi's. To me the midi's were more aggressive than the Custom. Now I have an Epi LP Studio with classic Alnico V's and to me it sounds better than either of the 70's Gibson LP's. Platefire
    Gibson Lancer Amp $ Les Paul Studio Trim change 008.jpg

12. VikinginLA

VikinginLA TDPRI Member

Sep 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Not sure how the mini buckers sound in a Telecaster, but in a Les Paul they are absolutely glorious. Plus growing up with Thin Lizzy mini buckers seemed like a must:) poser.jpg

13. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Holic

Jun 8, 2014
    atlanta
    Mini humbuckers can rock. Listen to some early Thin Lizzy. Scott Gorham used a les Paul with them and he got a massive tone.

14. thegeezer

thegeezer Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Jul 5, 2010
    West Michigan
    Don't have a picture handy but I have a '70 cherry sunburst LP with a mini 'bucker at the neck and a P90 at the bridge. Best of both worlds and absolutely sublime.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.