Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Do I tip the Direct tv guy?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Yoni, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Yoni

Yoni Friend of Leo's

So we're getting direct tv today and the guy might not even need to go to the roof of the building because we already have a dish coming into our apartment. So really all he'll need to do is plug the box in and hand us a remote. Any thoughts?

2. Brendan

Brendan Tele-Meister

I vote no. It's customary for some types of service that typically pay minimum wage, but I've never heard of tipping cable / dish installers.

3. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's

:D Save yur loot and just give him a hug,like the TV comercial shows..:D

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. castpolymer

castpolymer Poster Extraordinaire

My wife and I try to tip any service man ( or woman ) who comes to our home if the service is above average.

6. maajka

maajka TDPRI Member

Just offer him a beer

7. jaimed

jaimed Poster Extraordinaire

Always Appreciated

I have worked in the CATV, SAT-TV industry.

A little appreciation is always a nice touch.

You would be surprised what some installers would do for the customers that appreciate their efforts.

Cold drink on a hot day=wrap the house in coax.

Jamie

8. gibsonjunkie

gibsonjunkie Tele-Afflicted

Servicemen rarely get tips - so if you do tip him or her, they will really appreciate it. I was a plumber for 12 years and only got tipped a couple times.

9. Chikpicker

Chikpicker Tele-Meister

here they are contracted..so basicly work for themselves...I guess its up to you when they get there what you feel like doing

10. ednew

ednew Tele-Holic

I had a DISH guy that spent most of the day (AM to evening) doing a tough install. I tipped him SIGNIFICANTLY.

He worked his miracle after another team of lesser installers said it couldn't be done.

It was worth it to us (and the guy, I'm sure) to reward him.

Ed

11. Hockey Rocker

Hockey Rocker Former Member

When in doubt, give a tip. Rarely have I ever felt that giving a tip was the wrong choice. Here in Jersey we don't pump our own gas and I always try to give the guy a couple of bucks unless he owns the place. They seem to appreciate it. In Europe you have to be careful about insulting someone, but that's about it. One time in China I had no change, no RMB, no Hong Kong dollars, nothing but American cash. I gave the bellman a ten dollar bill and my friend couldn't stop laughing. He swears the bellman quit working and took the rest of the week off.

Basically anytime I look in someone's face and think they have a tough job, "there but for the grace of God go I", I leave a good tip. I get more pleasure from tipping than from contributing to most charities and I think the inverse is also true, in many cases.

12. Telepatio

Telepatio Tele-Meister

I don't think it's really customary to tip the cable/dish guy. I recently had cable installed...hot day...gave him some water....tried to tip him at the end of it and he refused.

13. HOBBSTER01

HOBBSTER01 Friend of Leo's

14. Yoni

Yoni Friend of Leo's

Yeah the guy needs to move the dish on the roof and then probably run a bunch of new cable into the apartment...I'm on the first floor of three floor residence hall so he'll be earning a tip, I just feel bad that all I took out was $10.

15. vjf1968

vjf1968 Poster Extraordinaire

In a word "no". The only time I would ever tip is when the person in question went above and beyond the call of duty. Here in Philly most employees of Comcast get a lot perks like free cable, free internet , and free phone service as well as being paid decently. I guess what free stuff you get is based on where you are in the corporate structure. I don't know how things work for Direct TV but Comcast charges out the wazoo for services and the way I see it when I repairman comes out and fixes a problem than he was already compensated via his paycheck

16. Sire

Sire Tele-Meister

No, otherwise where does it stop? The mailman? The county road crew? The bank teller?

Anyone would appreciate a tip, but if it's not in a customary position, I would never.

Nobody ever tipped me for doing my job (which I chose).

17. Flat357

Flat357 Banned

If he wants a tip , tell him not to eat yellow snow .

18. vinman

vinman Tele-Meister

years ago, I did service work on appliances. While raising a family of three, my tips got me my lunch or coffee during the day, etc. the odd thing was that I made my best amount of tips from the middle class in Queens and Nassau, NY. When I was assigned the north shore of Long Island (the elite), tips declined hugely. I guess that's how the rich stay rich.
    I tip everyone who does service for me. Occasionally, I tip the UPS guy, the garbage men, and I give my mailman the yearly holiday envelope. Not begrudgingly, but I remember. A buck for fedex or ups, breakfast for the garbage guys, etc. feels good and my packages arent thrown, my garbage isn't spilt and my mail is always dry, my regular waitresses and my massage therapist go the extra mile. LOL

19. chet

chet Banned

You tip the gas pumping guys? :rolleyes:
    We already pay way too much for gas as it is.

The pizza places around here all have tip jars on the counter and want you to tip. They've gotten on my nerves and I've quit going to a couple of them. If they can't pay thier counter help enough then that's thier problem.

I wouldn't tip the Direct TV guy either for a simple job.

20. Yoni

Yoni Friend of Leo's

The guy was here 4 hours and did a really great job in a strange situation so he got a tip.

21. sixstringbastard

sixstringbastard Friend of Leo's

The guy that installed ours is an independent contractor that owns the business. He got tipped when I choose him to sell me the service.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.