Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Do I need two Pickups to achieve this sound ?

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by Frodobags, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Frodobags

Frodobags TDPRI Member

Dec 7, 2018
    London
    So I am trying to recreate this acoustic clean/distorted tone that is in this video

It looks like he has a pedal of some sort that brings in the overdrive or Fuzz and then when he brings his foot off he has a clean signal. I am just wondering as I see two wires coming from his guitar I assume he has two pick ups, one going to a clean tone the other a distorted tone. I only have one pickup do I need to buy another one so I can split the signal ? And also I don't know how he achieves the tapping to the body of his guitar as it sounds really pronounced and nice however I haven't been able to recreate this. Any help or guidance on how I can go about achieving the sound he gets in the video above it would be greatly appreciated.

2. bluesky1963

bluesky1963 Tele-Afflicted

Apr 1, 2011
    Glendale, AZ
    It's possible that he has two piezo's and is running one through a distortion pedal of some sort, but it's hard to tell. The pedal he's using with his right foot appears to be a volume pedal, so he could be using that to cut the volume completely on the distorted side when he wants to go clean.

3. Frodobags

Frodobags TDPRI Member

Dec 7, 2018
    London
    Thanks for your reply! Yeah I thought this could be the case, but was just wondering as to how he might have done this, do you think the distorted tone is going to an amp in a different room ? he has two condenser mics though so maybe that is his clean sound, but it sounds like the clean signal is amplified too.

4. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    I have a relatively cheap Epiphone ej200 that has two pups. A piezo and a neck mag pickup. Its set up for stereo. He might be hitting a ab pedal for the distortion from a neck mag pickup?
    I think the masterbuilt epi's have this setup too. I haven't played it for years but I think from memory you can switch between pups onboard with the preamp too. The neck mag pickup is barely noticeable, it just looks like fret board tacked on the last fret.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  5. bluesky1963

bluesky1963 Tele-Afflicted

Apr 1, 2011
    Glendale, AZ
    Hard to say, I did a brief youtube search on him and couldn't find anything that showed playing live that had his amp(s) visible.

I would say he most definitely has his clean signal amplified.

6. Frodobags

Frodobags TDPRI Member

Dec 7, 2018
    London
    Thanks for your reply! Yeah this is what I think he must have, he must have two pups or the only thing I can think of is he is splitting the signal from one pick up using some sort of splitter or just using the stereo out of a pedal such as a chorus or something then one output runs to a clean amp and the other a distorted amp sound and in the distorted signal he has a volume pedal which controls the amount of distortion he brings in.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.