Do i need to know all the notes in the guitar fretboard to learn musical notations ?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by BattleAXE39, May 4, 2019.

1. Downsman

Downsman Tele-Meister

If what you're hoping to do is learn to read music, rather than relying on Tabs, then I can recommend Frederick Noad's Solo Guitar Playing book 1. It's aim is to teach classical finger style, and I've just started using it. That isn't the finger style I want to play (more Mark Knopfler as well as older Rockabilly stuff), but learning solid technique is handy. But the book right away teaches musical notation, starting with the notes on the open strings and first 5 frets. Lots of exercises to help form the link between the notes you're seeing on the page, the name of the notes, and where they are on the fingerboard. I learned the flute 40 years ago, which is when I last read music, so some of this stuff I'm remembering rather than learning, but the connection with the guitar fretboard is new. As well as reading chords in notation. You can't play chords on a flute. Really recommend it. I've read pure music theory books, which are great, but this approach right from the first exercise is linking theory to what you're actually playing. Which I find helpful.

2. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Begin with low E. Then A, D, G, B, and high E. Other notes will fill in over time. But the first ones to learn are the open strings.

3. jimd

jimd Friend of Leo's

I would learn all the notes on the 6th and 5th strings first. This is important for barre chords.

A trick my teacher showed me for learning all the notes is to first memorize this sequence.

C F Bb Eb Ab Db Gb B E A D G

It is the circle of fourths. It’s not hard to memorize if you see the word BEAD in there twice (once all flats and the all naturals). Then pick a string and find the notes in order of the sequence above. By going in fourths it doesn’t let you cheat by using adjacent notes. It’s a great way to practice. Also note that the circle of fourths in reverse is the circle of fifths. My teacher had me memorize it during my first lesson and it has really been super useful ever since.

For me I learned the dots on the fretboard to identify key notes and filled in the rest.

Treadplatedual likes this.
  4. BattleAXE39

BattleAXE39 TDPRI Member

Thanks for the reply everyone ,

Whenever i get free time i try to narrow down the things i keep learning .

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

See the last pic , Cannot find a book of guitar explaining things like that .

Let me go out and check the local book shops first

Thanks

5. BattleAXE39

BattleAXE39 TDPRI Member

6. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Looking at the first few pages, that site looks good. Follow up with more reading (books, online) to get different perspectives and fill any gaps in your undertanding.

Try reading some simple written melodies on your guitar; find the notes, then work on playing them in the indicated rhythm/durations.

All the advice here so far looks good to me, lots to glean.

7. BattleAXE39

BattleAXE39 TDPRI Member

@SecretSquirrel ,

Yes this thread and its discussion has helped me a lot in narrowing down a lot of things .
    My quest to understand the guitar sheet music and notations comes to an end now .
    And now its a matter of practicing .

:)

8. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

It all depends what's right for you.

I don't read music, don't know notation on the fretboard at all. And it's not a problem. I follow my ears and my muscle memory.

This is the right way to play for me. It's an extreme way, and I'm not saying it's the right way for you. But it's not always useful to get too bogged down in theory.

rich815 likes this.
  9. BattleAXE39

BattleAXE39 TDPRI Member

@hemingway ,

I was mostly trying to figure out a path so that i can focus on practicing the things i like .
    The problem was i didn't know where to start , where to progress to or where to end .

Now i know what i should include in my practice sessions .

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I simply should be looking for some free guitar sheet music like the nursery rhymes above .

:)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.