Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Do I need a dual-humbucker Tele?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Boomhauer, May 12, 2017.

1. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Holic

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    When you start with "I want to focus on playing and not worry so much about gear" and then ask if you "need" to buy another guitar I do wonder if you've really thought this through. I am in the same boat except that I'm trying to convince myself I need to build another warmoth tele with a HB neck and a slide specific setup. The fact is, I don't - I can use any one of my three excellent electrics for slide, and am currently doing just that. Gearheading can be a real distraction from playing.

2. htwheelz67

htwheelz67 TDPRI Member

Jan 22, 2011
    mission viejo, ca
    This is one of my favorite tele's I own, when I really want to rock this one does it and i have an HSS model in black just like it, with the P-rail pickups it can crunch and twang......1985 contemporary MIJ tele. And there is a locking whammy bar too. The necks on these guitars are 2nd to none with a 12" radius, absolutely effortless to play almost like it plays itself.[​IMG]

shupe13 and radiocaster like this.

3. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2013
    Michigan
    The idea is that I own far too many Squier-level partscasters: From the 2 Teles I own, along with the Squier Strat, Recording King Lapsteel, Ibanez GAX-70, and 2 acoustics, "gearheading" has already become a real distraction for me, so I'm trying to pare down that collection and replace 2 or 3 of 'em with 1 decent-quality, MIA-level guitar.

Does that clarify where I'm coming from?

4. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Holic

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Sure it does, I get you. There is still no actual "need" in there - is there something you can't do with the gear you already have that you need to do? My only point is that really, really getting down to playing means no more internet forum, browsing reverb, and so on - all of that time is spent with a guitar in your hand. It sounds like you've got at least one good-playing guitar out of the bunch. I'm guilty myself - what the hell am I doing on here, anyhow - so I can't bust your chops too hard. What I do know, these days, is that getting a new guitar is never going to make me a better player - it might be fun, and cool, and interesting, but I will not play any better with the new guitar than with the ones I got. And I won't really sound all that different either - I'll still overdo the vibrato, miss non-obvious chord changes, always want to go the to the 5 and not the b7, and so on. Those things have so much more to do with your sound than humbucker versus single coil.

Boomhauer likes this.

5. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Holic

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Oh, and the P-rail Floyd guitar above? Might be a great guitar. Not a telecaster. Cmon.

6. 4514

4514 Tele-Holic

Apr 6, 2009
    Nashville
    Huh, didn't know you could tag people on TDPRI. Cool!

I got into searching for an HH Tele to cover Les Paul sounds, but it's a different thing from a Les Paul unless you specifically have a Tele body made with the same mass, wood, bridge, and neck joint as a Les Paul. It'll end up sounding a little more like an SG in my experience. I don't know what your goals are (recording, live shows, basement, etc) but it's a cool sound to me. It'll be thicker than your single coil guitars, you'll be able to hold down a nice rhythm with it and get a little less pick attack on your solos. Humbuckers are more forgiving than single coils, so it's a nice break from playing a traditional Tele.

7. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2013
    Michigan
    "Need" is probably a poor word choice. With my extraneous guitars, I have one of everything already covered, since the Ibanez I have is a double-humbucker guitar. But, that's on the top of my chopping block. At the end of the day, and by no means do I think that owning a better guitar will make me a better player. Realistically, I see guitars as expendable inasmuch as there's no way to get a full feel for a guitar at Guitar Center...Sure, a new project Ibanez or Strat will sound good as soon as you get it set up, but what happens 4 months down the line when the new shininess wears off? Then, like me, you're sitting with 2 guitars that you don't enjoy and aren't playing. My aim in searching for a new guitar at this juncture is to find one that truly speaks to me and feels like a third arm.

I've already got 2 single-coil Teles; one with a standard wiring setup, and one with Nocaster blend controls. Realistically, in 2017, my most difficult playing goal will be to play in church...maybe an odd open-mic at a venue that a buddy runs. Tone-wise, I'm a pretty traditional guy...I enjoy old country, bluegrass, and surf, with a little heavy metal and Southern rock thrown in. I can get 90% of all those "tones" (I still hate the word 'tone') with my current guitar collection, but I still come up short on the Social Distortion/Kentucky Headhunters end of things.

8. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    My dual-humbucker "Tele". Thinking about selling it, actually. I feel like I just don't play it enough to warrant keeping it. Wonderful little guitar, though. Those mini-hums can roar AND snap.
    [​IMG]

9. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Holic

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Hmm. That is an Epiphone Wilshire if I'm not mistaken. Also not a tele!

10. Sparky2

Sparky2 Tele-Meister

Apr 15, 2017
    Harvest, Alabama

11. roycaster

roycaster Tele-Meister

Aug 27, 2012
    Santa Cruz California
    I for one felt the need for an HH Telecaster, so I started to piece one together. I went with a Duncan Lil’ 59 in the bridge, and I’ll be putting in a Firebird pickup in the neck. So far I have a quiet, larger, and darker sounding Tele than my main Partscaster. But it is close enough to work as a backup if I break a string or I am stuck in a situation of too much buzz with my main Tele…

12. sothoth

sothoth Tele-Meister

Nov 24, 2010
    Kepler-186f
    You need one of everything. I can't believe you're even asking this question. :)

Try the Fender FMT HH tele. All mahogany and has a set neck so it sounds pretty warm like a Les Paul. They feel pretty nice to me. I might get one eventually.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.