Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Do I need a dual-humbucker Tele?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Boomhauer, May 12, 2017.

1. papa32203

papa32203 Tele-Holic

Nov 4, 2011
    Surprise, AZ
    Yes.
    '72 Thinline RI w/ Lollar Regal WRHB's (plus numerous other mods, only for personal taste).
    Love mine.

2. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Dec 24, 2015
    west of I-10
  3. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    One of our monthly gigs I need to have a humbucker guitar because there is too much noise from lights, motors etc... I want it in a Tele form and scale length because that is what I play and that is what feels comfortable to me and I couldn't care less what anyone thinks about whether or not a Tele should or should not have on it. I don't want to have to spend 4 hours in the middle position on my other Teles and that does not fit all the songs best although I have done it. The Cabronita style with TV Jones Powertrons scratches the Gretchy sound a bit and still sounds very Tele. Since this pic I added a concentric 500k pot so I have a tone and volume now.

18275169_10155136342984651_5607398250547185301_n (1).jpg

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Meister

Jun 25, 2016
    Midwest, USA
    I'm a humbucker person, coz I play hard rock. Then I bought a squire cv bsb. Loved playing it! After a while, after trying to play hard rock on the tele, I couldn't connect with it. I thought of changing the pups to single coil sized rail himbuckers... until I realized, I was using the wrong tool for the job. If I want to play hard with the tone I want, then I should just use my guitar with humbuckers and just let the tele be a tele. Besides, my Boss GT-1 can simulate a humbucker sound on a single, so it still works for me.

Do I make sense? I'm sleepy while typing this...

6. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2013
    Michigan
    Makes perfect sense.

I really should get out and play more of the guitars I'm lusting after to see if/how they fit my needs.

I mentioned the HH Tele...the Teles I'm looking at that are made locally aren't Cabs or Deluxe models or anything, just a fairly standard Tele wiring that happens to have 2 humbuckers. I've also mentioned a Loar P90 archtop, which I have played in person, but is such a different animal to what I'm used to (solidbodies) that a little 5-minute set of scales and chords didn't really speak to me. Now, having said that, none of my guitars have really reached out and grabbed me immediately; usually it takes a few hours/days of playing for me to learn how I react to the guitar and how the guitar reacts to me. Other options include an Ibanez Artcore (semihollow), Fender Starcaster (semihollow), a Mosrite clone from any of several online retailers (Wilson Bros, Eastwood, etc. but the drawback is not being able to play it in person)

7. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

The other option ... mod your other guitars with the 4-way switch (if Tele) or the Dan Armstrong Blender (if SSS Strat). Then you can cover humbucker needs and fix noise problems.

However, you want that Santos guitar ... Get it as long as the neck and body fit you and know that if you don't completely like the humbuckers, you can always mod it yourself closer to single coil territory even if you get a trim ring to fit a Tele neck or bridge coil. Or swap in other boutique/fun pickups. Change the pots and caps. You know, the usual routine around here. ;)

8. alpharainbow

alpharainbow TDPRI Member

Apr 9, 2014
    Colorado
    You need one because.......who doesn't? I love my MIA.

[​IMG]

shupe13 likes this.
  9. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta
    two humbuckers?

stop screwing around and get a les paul.

Flash1909 likes this.
  10. lupowitz

lupowitz Tele-Afflicted

Jan 31, 2007
    Hungary
  11. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    I hope this doesn't come across wrong - do you feel like you know enough about playing guitar, and what you like, to know if you need another, specific guitar?

Maybe just buckle down on the playing angle, then worry about pickups?

littlebadboy likes this.
  12. FattoneTele

FattoneTele Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2016
    Jena, LA
    I'd rather have an SG

callasabra likes this.
  13. myersbw

myersbw TDPRI Member

Nov 28, 2011
    SW Ohio
    Nah, you have to yank it out to swap. :( But, I don't think I'll ever change out this set. I plugged it into a 1978 Marshall 100w combo 2150 that I'd repaired this evening...it was amazing...both the guitar and the amp! :)

Oh, duh, string loads? No, it's through body.

lupowitz likes this.
  14. mtjo62

mtjo62 Tele-Holic

Jul 17, 2008
    StatesVegas, NC
    Yes, yes you do.

hb_1.jpg

shupe13 and xland like this.
  15. bloomz

bloomz Tele-Holic

Of course you do.....with a real whammy as well

Attached Files:

shupe13 likes this.
  16. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
  17. papa32203

papa32203 Tele-Holic

Nov 4, 2011
    Surprise, AZ

Hey Mike, I missed your show. Next time.

Didn't I already answer this question? Yes and yes.

Mike Simpson likes this.
  18. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2013
    Michigan
    Look at you, being all smart and practical and stuff

I completely understand what you're getting at...why the heck is Boomhauer asking what kind of guitar he should get? If he's a good enough player, he'll be able to make a decision on his own. I currently am focusing on playing, and have a few specific goals in mind (one of which is paring down my collection by selling off a few odd guitars that don't speak to me). I'm saving my pennies though... I'm less than halfway to where I want to be, but every guitar I've ever owned has been Squier quality or equivalent, so when I hit my specific goals, I want to reward myself with a MIA-quality guitar.

19. iluvfender

iluvfender TDPRI Member

Aug 11, 2016
    I love mine. I installed push pull coil tap pots to split the coils. Get amazing humbucker tones and sizzling single. Very versatile. Seymour Duncan high output pups.

20. Martinp

Martinp Tele-Afflicted

Mar 17, 2003
    Westbury, N.Y.
    you need a dual humbucker something...

21. Orangead30tc

Orangead30tc TDPRI Member

May 19, 2011
    San Francisco

Have you considered something like this?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.