Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Do I need a dual-humbucker Tele?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Boomhauer, May 12, 2017.

1. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

If you get the HH guitar, see if they or you can install some non-standard humbucker-sized pickups like 'Filtertron' neck, P90 or 'Dynasonic' bridge. A big world outside of regular humbuckers that are sized for standard routing.

I have one of these HH guitars I got last summer; but quickly set it up like an HSS Strat though - to get much cleaner neck tones than a humbucker. The neck is split with push/pull so down is neck side screw poles in Strat stagger, up is parallel for Quack.
    Bridge pickup I left as the stock two-wire humbucker but installed an Arlo Cocked Wah on it for distortion and can turn the tone back to get regular non-ACW tones. I actually have been playing this quite a lot lately with my Joyo American Sound pedal set cleaner and DS-1 with low-low gain.

So don't just get another standard HH, do something with it that gives you an interesting play.

[​IMG]

2. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    WRHB is s different animal though. I think a Tele and a LP with the same standard HBs will sound very close. They do in my experience.

3. 8barlouie

8barlouie Tele-Afflicted

May 9, 2015
    Seekonk, MA
    Trick question. There's no such thing as a dual humbucker Tele. ;):twisted:

Boomhauer likes this.

4. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted

Sep 24, 2004
    Endicott, NY
    I know this wasn't meant seriously, but for me, I've never gotten along with a Les Paul - they just don't feel right to me. The dimensions, where they sit/hang on me, just the overall ergonomics of it does not work for me. So, after owning 2 and selling them both, I went in search of a 2xHB configuration in my favorite guitar - the Telecaster.

Ended up with a Squier J5 Tele....and could not be happier! :cool:

Well, I've got a '72RI Thinline, a Cabronita Thinline, and a Squier J5 - and every one of them says "Telecaster" on the headstock.
    They're all Tele's to me.

Others may disagree, but the Fender company has designated them as Telecasters. Good enough for me. ;)

As to the original question - I can't really say what YOU need, but apparently I needed a few. :D

5. 9fears08

9fears08 Tele-Meister

Jul 6, 2016
    Bristol, UK
    Buy this one and put some humbucker sized P90s in!!

6. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Friend of Leo's

May 14, 2008
    WNC Isothermal Zone
    A better question would be, "Do I need a Gibson"?

IMHO, if time-honored tradition means ANYTHING, then Fender makes the best single coil guitars and Gibson makes the best humbucker guitars.

8barlouie likes this.

7. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Jul 15, 2013
    Europa
    A HH tele is not a les paul ... Scale length makes a difference :)

JD0x0 and Sconnie like this.

8. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Meister

May 1, 2017
    Denver, CO
    I wouldn't get one myself, I love my SG and it does that job better than anything but an LP, but I would LOVE a thinline tele with FilterTrons :D

9. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2013
    Michigan
    Let's see...as I mentioned earlier, I'm trying to focus both my efforts and my gear, so since I'm still squarely in the "scrub" category, I'm trying to find a versatile tone

1. The old, good stuff ;) Country, rockabilly, surf, and a little alt-rock and metal thrown in because it's awesome
    2. Currently, a Peavey Rage and an Ibanez TSA. The Peavey rocks for cleans, country, and single coils. The Ibanez takes dirt very nicely, and plays very nicely with my other humbucker guitar
    3. I like how everything sounds together. But, as I mentioned, I'm saving my pennies for a good electric...something above a Squier or Partscaster level, and have found a cool local brand that sells HH Telecasters.

10. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Holic

Mar 9, 2017
    The Peach State
    Ok, for Alt Rock and Metal you probably will do better with humbuckers. I stress the word probably, because Ritchie Blackmore and Yngwie Malmsteen play neoclassical metal with single coil Strats. The HB will give you a different sound, and a very nice one for sure.

11. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2013
    Michigan
    The alternative to the HH Tele is a nice hollowbody by The Loar with P90's.

Or, I could just save my money for something bigger and better...

12. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Holic

Mar 9, 2017
    The Peach State
    P90's will also give you plenty of growl in solid body guitars (think of The Who Live at Leeds). On an hollow body, I can't tell. I think you should better wait a bit and get the guitar with humbuggies

13. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire

Check out Samantha Fish. She has a nice Tele style rig, Klein buckers and a Strat style neck.

She gets some great blues/rock sounds.

I'd get a dual bucker Tele if I could sound like that.

14. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars TDPRI Member

Apr 15, 2017
    ...playing in traffic
    The short answer is yes.

The long answer is it took me a long time to get a Tele-Gib made. The guy who built it did it all by hand. The neck was too big and the body was too heavy(almost LP weight). However, Lindy Fralin got me into a set of his 'Twangmasters' and I couldn't be more pleased. The guitar has been sent to MJT and they are going to get a lightweight(3-3.5 lbs) ash body to go with an AllParts neck and re-assemble it the way I had intended it to be. I am hoping for a monster. I wouldn't part with the Les Paul anymore than my Teles or strats. However the tele with the Fralins reminds of single coils with extra 'spang'...

15. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Vermont
    Many people say that the WRHB Teles were Fender's answer to the Gibson Les Paul. Maybe. Not so sure about that. But the two guitars are compared constantly so I thought I'd throw it into the mix.

16. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Meister

Apr 19, 2014
    SATX
    I can't say for sure that an HH Tele is a must have but I do think having an HH guitar in your tone arsenal is useful. I happen to use an old Les Paul Studio to get those sounds. Humbuckers can offer up honk and snarl that you just can't get very easily with single coils. Sometimes, you may want something without all the 60-cycle noise...

17. connuchar

connuchar Tele-Meister

May 30, 2006
    phx az
    hello Boomhauer, if hew dew not already have a dual humbucker tele,then the simple answer is yes. Meye filos-offy is to have one of these, one of those, one of them , and in different colors. [unless of course you are married, then they all need to be the same color, to avoid too quick of a detection]

18. myersbw

myersbw TDPRI Member

Nov 28, 2011
    SW Ohio

19. PCollen

PCollen Tele-Afflicted

May 7, 2010
    Man of the World

I was just watching a video of Teb Benoit. He sure works that old dual humbucker Thinline.

20. Mechanic

Mechanic Tele-Afflicted

Go play some guitars. Check out a Cabby, a Black Top, and A Nashville. Be sure to tell us what you've bought. I bought a Cabby MIM. Nice neck. I may make my Squier STD into a Micawber wanna be.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.