Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Do all US made G&L ASAT models have metal plate with serial on back of head?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by cpage86, Sep 3, 2017.

1. cpage86

cpage86 NEW MEMBER!

Mar 25, 2013
    IN
    So in my journeys I have seen a few G&L ASAT models that were US made with a metal plate on the back of the head with the serial number. I have recently seen one or two that do not, they had a serial stamped on the tip of the head on the back.

I do not have much experience with G&L guitars, but was contemplating buying one and want to make sure I am looking for the right things. The ones in particular I am talking about do not say "Tribute" on them, they say "Guitars by Leo" under the logo on the face of the head. One even has the certificate of authenticity and build sheet so I figure it is safe to assume they are US made.

2. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    Not all...

From the G&L forum:

From 1980 through 1996 and into 1997, serial numbers of the form GXXXXXX were used for guitars and serial numbers of the form BXXXXXX were used for basses. The two notable exceptions to this are the "GF" and "BC" serial numbers, used (respectively) for the George Fullerton Signature Model and the Broadcaster. Beginning in late 1997, G&L employed serial numbers of the form CLXXXXX, where - as verified by G&L's Dave McLaren - CL stands for "Clarence Leo" (note that Leo Fender's full name was "Clarence Leo Fender").
    This was changed one year later to the scheme of CLFXXXXX, for all serial numbering.

In February 2011, serial numbering was updated to CLFXXXXXX and the serial number applied onto a metal plate in place of the waterslide decal on the back of the headstock.
    This was started with serial number CLF061000 and numbering is now issued in sequence.
    Note: Some Special Build and Limited Edition instruments can still be found with the previous water slide serial numbering.

In September 2016, the metal serial number plate was replaced with the waterslide decal on the back of the headstock.

Starting in February 2017, serial numbers will be laser-etched on the back of the headstock.
    The serial number format will now be: "CLFYYMMnnn", where YY=last two digits of year, MM=two digit month.

This information applies to the USA made G&L instruments.

savofenno and boris bubbanov like this.

3. warrent

warrent Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Sep 15, 2009
    toronto
    in the "metal plate" link you posted it says:
    Metal Serial Number Plate
    New in February 2011 - Serial Number plate applied to the back of the headstock, in place of the waterslide decal.
    However, in September 2016, the waterslide decal was brought back in place of this Serial Number Plate.
    The Custom Build Specifications Sheet continues to be included with the instruments built after the change over.

4. cpage86

cpage86 NEW MEMBER!

Mar 25, 2013
    IN

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.