Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

DIY Spring Reverb - Alembic Stratoblaster to Drive it?

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by capth00k, Jul 21, 2012.

1. capth00k

capth00k TDPRI Member

Hey guys,

I have an old Fender Spring reverb unit laying around, and i've been scowering the web for details on how to drive it. Turns out you need an amplification circuit on both input, and output. My question is -- would the Alembic stratoblaster circuit suffice? It's a clean, transistor based boost. Most of the schematics i've seen use the LM741 op amp run at 4.5 volts, so i'm just wondering. Thanks!

2. soundguruman

soundguruman TDPRI Member

It's a heavy load that is driven by a small tube output transformer. I'm not sure that 741 has enough current to drive it.
    Depending on the number (stamped on the tank) of the reverb tank, you will have different input and output impedance, and there are several types available...and so it's hard to say what will drive it until you first "decode" the part number, or measure the in / out.
    For example 4AB3C1B is 8 ohm in, 2250 ohm out (see charts)
    http://roymal.tripod.com/accutron.htm
    It usually takes quite a bit of drive voltage. This is electrical to mechanical, through the springs, and then mechanical to electrical.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.