DIY Sauerkraut

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Ribsspare, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Ribsspare

Ribsspare Tele-Meister

I’ve been making sauerkraut and it’s really easy.

5 pounds of cabbage and 3 tablespoons of salt. (Only 2 ingredients for basic version)

Mix the salt and sliced cabbage and keep massaging for 10 minutes so the cabbage gets moist.

Ferment for 2 weeks and burp the jars every day to prevent them from exploding. That’s it.

Super easy and great health benefits due to probiotic bacteria

Greggorios, schmee, Bruxist and 2 others like this.
  2. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

I just made kimchi for the first time - it's similar, but with pepper paste, fish sauce, and some other veg things. I am looking forward to trying it next weekend.

I was wondering about jars with an airlock, like my brewing tub has, to relieve the pressure...

Greggorios and schmee like this.
  3. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

An older guy I knew told me tales of when he was a boy mashing cabbage for sauerkraut down by foot. :eek:

His brother would get tired of mashing and would ask for a glass of water. When his parents weren't looking, he would dump some of the water from the glass into the cabbage mash to make it look like he had mashed it real good. Work smarter, not harder...;)

Tonetele likes this.
  4. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Sterilised the jars first?

5. Ribsspare

Ribsspare Tele-Meister

I don’t sterilize the jars but I suppose it would be ok.

Tonetele and tery like this.
  6. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

My grandmother even used to grow her own cabbage . I buy my sauerkraut in cans as it is not cost effective for me to make a 5 pound batch .

7. MrAstro

MrAstro Tele-Afflicted

Sauerkraut is something I've always wanted to try and make. Sourdough is the other thing I want to experiment with.

I often make large batches of Blaukraut at Christmas and freeze them in portions - that's delicious too. No fermenting required for blaukraut either.

hdvades likes this.
  8. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

My father used to make sauerkraut when we were growing up. He used a 10-15 gallon stoneware crock, put the cabbage and salt in, covered it in cheesecloth, then had a wooden plunger he made to cover it. It was almost airtight, so it burped itself.

Unfortunately, he let this ferment in the basement - right under my room. It was a decade or two before I could eat it; I do like it now.

BobbyZ likes this.
  9. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I have some specialized mason jars for making kraut (the lids are modified for air-locks). Did it once, it was excellent...but Miz Diane wouldn't even try it, worried about food poisoning. Nothing I said would change her mind.

10. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

What is Blaukraut?

11. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

I have some hot sauce fermenting on the kitchen counter right now. Fresno and hot cherry peppers and a few habaneros all stemmed, seeded and sliced, plus a whole head of smashed garlic cloves, a shredded carrot, the juice and zest of one orange and enough brine to cover it all. It been going for about 6 days and its about done, it ferments quickly thanks to the sugar from the orange. Instead of burping the jar, I just leave the lid on loosely so pressure doesn't build up and put the jar inside of a bigger plastic container to catch any overflow.

I need to do a batch of kimchi soon too.

12. Ribsspare

Ribsspare Tele-Meister

I can understand her thoughts since fermenting cabbage is strange concept but I do believe that healthy bacteria in sauerkraut is like medicine without going to the doctors and the human body does need good bacteria

Wallo Tweed likes this.
  13. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

How much does it cost you to buy 5 lbs of cabbage ? And how long does it take you to eat 5 lbs of kraut ? Sind Sie Deutsch ?

For me, I buy my kraut (Silver Floss, usually) by the 2 lb bag whenever I get in the mood for it, as I am the only one in the house who eats it. And then I'm having it on hot dogs, bratwurst, with sausage and potatoes, on Reuben sandwiches, etc. etc. for a week or so....and then its over for awhile. I can't imagine having 5 lbs of sauerkraut to eat before it goes off ......

14. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

15. Ribsspare

Ribsspare Tele-Meister

If I remember correctly, it was around $3 for 5 pounds of cabbage. After fermentation for 2 weeks, it takes me about a month to eat it and I’m the only one who eats it. I eat it almost everyday.

I never store it in the refrigerator but if you do put it in the refrigerator after the 2 week fermentation, I think it may last a couple months

16. Ribsspare

Ribsspare Tele-Meister

I’ve never made kimchi because I live a few blocks from a Korean supermarket and they have their own DIY kimchi which is pretty good. Some day I will try to make green onion kimchi.

17. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I’ll stick with smoking ribs thank you
    You guys enjoy your sauerkraut

Nightclub Dwight and Danocoustic like this.
  18. kingvox

kingvox Tele-Meister

I have kraut and kimchi and garlic fermented over 2 years ago still hanging out in the fridge. I have some once in a while, still good :)

All that salt and lactic acid should keep any and all nasties out. If anything ever looks or smells off, in the trash it goes.

That only happens if the initial fermentation doesn't go well, which is usually a result of there not being enough brine or the vegetables rising above the brine.

Sterilized rocks, glass weights, etc. all work well to keep everything submerged.

Another fun ferment is mead, aka honey wine. All you need is raw honey and water. Though some yeast nutrient and bee pollen work wonders to get things going and leave a really pure flavor behind. Raisins help too.

19. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

yeah, it's much harder to find here in Holland - Korean food is still almost unknown anywhere in our region; and when you find it at an Asian Toko, it's usually the cheap junk in little tiny tin cans.

20. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Snow floss or vlassic only.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.