Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

DIY nut shaping vise

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by charlie chitlin, Jul 12, 2018 at 2:16 PM.

1. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    Whipped this up this morning from scrap aluminum.
    The cotter pin loosely holds the 2 pieces together so I don't have to juggle 3 pieces (with nut) when I lock it in the vise.
    Works great!
    nut vise.JPG

Steve_U1S, bcarter_1, TimTam and 2 others like this.

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    I let the strings hold the nut down.....;)

3. optofonik

optofonik TDPRI Member

Dec 23, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Hmmm.... Interesting, uhmm, you know, thread title.

4. Wally

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX

5. Wally

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Well...it isn’t coming up....but it is what you think it is....beautifully sculpted wooden nutcracker in a feminine form....

6. charlie chitlin

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    While carving a nut from a blank?
    Damn!
    You ARE good! :p
    I just popped that old one in there to show how it works.;)

Wally likes this.

7. TimTam

TimTam Tele-Meister

Jun 4, 2010
    Melbourne
    Nice idea. Stewmac's nut vise is very nice, but expensive. Their's is basically just a drill press vise (which are cheap), except with tapered jaws .. which yours has.

I've also found a mini hand-held vise very useful for nut sanding work, instead of trying to hold the nut in my hand (I don't use the white posts) ....
    http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=182607768247
    [​IMG]

8. Wally

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    I apprenticed in the shop that was once Dan Erlewine’s shop in Big Rapids, MI under the guidance of Bryan Galloup, who worked for Dan for five years before buying the shop when Dan went to Stew-Mac. I would have to be convinced that there is any reason at all for using a vise for building a nut, which imho needs to be built on the guitar with the strings there. It has to be fitted to the particular neck and all of the measurements for the string spacing are made known with the strings under some tension.
    I do see a purpose for a mini-vise for holding saddles for the work on establishing proper compensation points....but I still do that in my hand. I have such a vise but need to find a place on a bench to place it.

9. aerhed

aerhed Tele-Afflicted

Dec 24, 2016
    Boulder, WY
    My Cuz did a bunch of work on Bryan's new log pile and right now he's out here doing my interior walls. I'm not building a school, but I'm going to have an incredible jam space.

Wally likes this.

10. charlie chitlin

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    If I built a nut on the guitar, there would be file marks EVERYWHERE o_O

11. Wally

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Charlie, I do not work the final fit of the nut on the guitar, but working the string placement and regulation to the first fret is in situ. There is a way to mark the fit to the neck and that work is done off of the guitar....but using a vise would slow me down on that aspect of the job. ;)

12. charlie chitlin

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    Gotcha.
    When I put a nut on a guitar, it has no slots and the shape of the top is unfinished.
    Then when everything is right, it comes off for a final polish/buff.
    The only thing that seems to take me an inordinate amount off effort is shaping the top of the nut to not only match the fretboard radius, but to take into account the different string gauges so the slots will be the right depth.
    I generally remove an increasing amount of the top (moving toward the treble side) as I file slots.
    I don't know how to figure the asymmetry of the top from the git go.
    It seems complicated, but I haven't found a better way.

13. Wally

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Charlie, here ya go. Take a pencil....maybe 4 inches of the end away from the eraser. On a belt sander, lay the pencil down on its side and take away half of the diameter. This leaves a flat with the point of the lead availble to mark. Place the rough fitted bone in place at the end of the fretboard....strings are away from the board for this. Lay the pencil flat against the frettops and scribe the radius on the face of the bone. With practice, one can then work away material fr9m the top of the bone to establish the radius...leaving enough material for slots. The same pencil can scribe the rough fit to the neck/fretboard. After the placement and regulation of the nut slots, one does the final fitting.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.