Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

DIY amp channel footswitch

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by IcoRan, Jan 13, 2018.

1. IcoRan

IcoRan TDPRI Member

Sep 3, 2017
    Trieste, Italy
    I'm tryng to build a footswitch: I have a DPDT footswitch and a mono female jack. How do I have to wire it?

2. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 15, 2006
    Berlin
    :confused: Needs more information.

what amp?
    what do you want to switch?

3. IcoRan

IcoRan TDPRI Member

Sep 3, 2017
    Trieste, Italy
    AXL blue liine 50W - switch between clean and drive channel

4. nickhofen

nickhofen Friend of Leo's

5. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2007
    Glen Head, NY
    Plug a regular guitar cord into the 'footswitch' phone jack on the amp. Use a paperclip to short out the tip and ring on the plug at the other end of the cord. If this switches the channels as long as you hold the paper clip, then goes back when you release it, then the amp requires a standard "latching" type switch. You just need to wire up the switch for on/off (in other words you only need SPST and the other pole of the DPDT is unused). If you want to wire in an LED, you'd need a battery, a resistor so it doesn't fry the LED, and connect it using the un-used half of the DPDT. Quite frankly you shouldn't need an LED to tell you whether you're on the clean or lead channel of your amp so don't plan on one just because it's there.

However, some guitar amps are sophisticated enough to use a momentary switch on the footswitches. That means every time you tap the paper clip it jumps from one channel to the other. Then you need a different stomp switch for your box - a momentary SPST. Practically speaking, putting an LED in that kind of circuit is not a DIY project.

I have to caution that making one is not necessarily much cheaper than buying one, but you can make it whatever size you need for your pedalboard. I have a stereo jack with two switches so I can use a T-R-S cable and switch the reverb and trem on a host of amplifiers (DRRI, AC15, etc.).

nickhofen likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.