Ditto X-4 owners .. happiness or ?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by popthree, May 24, 2019.

1. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

i have owned a number of loopers over the years, my favorite, that i foolishly sold several years ago, was a boomerang III. now i'm looking again at loopers and trying to decide what to buy. another rang? pigtronix infinity? chain a couple of jamman xt expresses together? or a ditto x4?

basically i want a looper that'll do a couple of things

play more than 1 loop at the same time in either synced or unsynced mode

give me the flexibility to adjust the volume on each of the loops independently

fade out

on paper, i think the ditto x4 would give me what i'm after.. but i have read a number of complaints online about issues with firmware and the units locking up and loops that are not seamless, and on and on.

my question to x4 owners is, are you happy with the x4? are the complaints founded? have the issues been resolved by TC ?

2. lefty73

lefty73 Tele-Afflicted

One picker's opinion:

I love my Ditto X4. I use the power supply it came with, and it powers up every day and has never locked up on me.

I did have one issue with one of the previous versions of firmware that has never again appeared after loading firmware version 1.3. Prior to 1.3, my loops would sometimes start and end with a very unpleasant digital "pop"; since 1.3 it's been perfect and working as advertised for more than 18 months now.

For the things you are looking for in a looper, the X4 does it very well. There are other loopers out there that might offer more goodies to apply in real-time performance (quantizing or tempo control), but for a simple-yet-advanced looper, in my opinion the X4 is hard to beat.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  3. popthree

thanks for the reply lefty73. can the x4 play 2 loops at the same time, completely independent of one another in regard to time? it's something the boomerang could do that i loved. it makes for some incredible randomness that 'synced/serial' looping doesn't offer.

4. lefty73

lefty73 Tele-Afflicted

It can. If/when you get it, be sure to download the manual from TC's site, but I'll summarize it here, too.

There are four DIP switches on the back of the X4 that change how the unit operates. You flip them up (using a paper clip, or guitar pick, or small screwdriver) to make the changes.

• Switch 1 changes the default Record-Play–Overdub order to Record-Overdub–Play.
    • Switch 2 changes the default overdub mode from being instant to starting at the end of your loop cycle
    • Switch 3 lets you switch between your loops instantly or at the end of a loop cycle in serial mode
    • Switch 4 changes the looper from true bypass to buffered bypass

5. popthree

are you saying one of these dip switches makes it possible to play 2 unsynced loops at the same time?

thanks

6. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Holic

Looks like there is an external serial/sync switch between the loop knobs.

7. popthree

serial usually means one loop plays at a time and they observe the same time signature/interval.

synced usually means they can play together and observe the same time signature/interval.

both of the above modes could be 4 bars or a multiple of 4 bars as an example.

i want the ability to have both loops play with no observance to number of bars at all. so one could be 4 bars and the other could be 9 bars as an example. they would weave back and forth and create a completely random result. i can't find that the ditto x4 can do that in the online stuff i have read.

8. lefty73

lefty73 Tele-Afflicted

It can do that. Here's Sonic Youth's Lee Ranaldo doing exactly what you're asking about:

El Tele Lobo and popthree like this.
  9. popthree

yep, thanks for that Lefty. that's the magic right there.

10. Lies&Distortion

I have a boomerang, saw 'sync' and didn't think about serial. You are correct. It does say loops can play independently. And I guess that video demonstrates that, I haven't played it.

11. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

I loved my Ditto X4 and did not have any issues with it. I had the RC loopers, but they tone suck (I'm a Boss fan). The Ditto X4 was true to being true bypass.

My only qualm with it was that it was too big, so I sold it for the cheaper Ammoon Stereo Looper. It gives me 10 individual loops that I can access via an external footswitch. I haven't used it much yet so I can't tell which one is better. But, I am enjoying it so far.

12. popthree

i looked at the ammoon stereo. it looks good but you only get one loop at a time. i am very limited by that type of rig as i utilize layering multiple loops, adjusting the volumes of them, activating and deactivating them as i move along. i could do 2 ammoon stereos, and that would work ok, except that i could ONLY do unsynced looping when using the 2 loopers as they don't have a sync cable like the jamman express does. the jamman is a viable option for me but i think i may prefer the TC X4. i don't worry about the size of the thing as i don't have a pedal board... i just string my pedals out all over the place. some are on a chair, some on the floor, often times, i have one or more on a table in easy reach without bending over.

littlebadboy and El Tele Lobo like this.
  13. popthree

wish i still had my boomerang III. it was the best. i kind of quit looping for awhile and got to feeling guilty about having such an expensive pedal collecting dust. i foolishly sold it and now want to get back into looping. i've tried several 'budget' looper's and so far, i'm just not satisfied. once you've driven a Ferrari it's hard to be happy with a civic. i'm hoping the X4 can satisfy my needs and be a good middle ground as far as price goes.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  14. Lies&Distortion

I have an Alter Ego 4 has some looping, but the Ditto looks more flexible.

The only gripe I have with my Boomerang III is that it doesn't store loops. It works well for spontaneous ideas, but sometimes I leave it on for days because I have loops stored. Then I get an idea but all of the banks are full and I have to delete something.

15. popthree

when i wanted to save something i had created with my rang i just stuck a mic in front of the amp and recorded it.. .i know its not like still having the loop in the memory of the looper, but its a good point of reference for reconstruction

16. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Holic

only thing I can add is:

I've almost purchased the ditto X4 several times. Each time I do some cursory research a lot of negative reviews come up. I guess the unit has or had a reputation for just bricking out randomly.

for instance, go to sweetwater and look at the review, scroll all the way down and there is a large number of negative reviews some as recent as 2018.

I always get a bit discouraged when I look into the user reviews.

17. paulbaribeau

paulbaribeau Tele-Meister

Had a ditto x4 for a week and it locked up repeatedly. TC knows it is a problem and will not fix it. If you are just goofing at home or studio it would be fine. In my opinion it would be a total gamble to use one live. Especially if your set was based around the pedal.
    The only way to unbrick the unit is to plug it into a computer and reinstall the whole thing. So probably not a good option in a crowded room.
    I ended up with an EHX 45000 which was way more than I needed but it works and syncs to midi.

18. popthree

yeah that's why i'm putting the feeler out there as i have read all the bad press too

19. popthree

did you ever try to upgrade the firmware? how long ago did you have one and what rev of firmware did you run?

20. Jonzilla

Jonzilla Tele-Meister

I have an x4. The first unit I got developed a terrible loud digital GLITCH noise that would insert itself into the loop and also would lock up. I called sweetwater and they had me ship it to an authorized repair shop. About 6 weeks later I got it back and it wasn't fixed! I finally called sweetwater and basically begged for a replacement (I was outside their warranty period just barely). They finally agreed and the replacement unit has been great for a couple years now.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.