Distortion Pedal

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by baseballhack, May 15, 2019.

1. baseballhack

baseballhack TDPRI Member

Recently purchased a ProCo Rat 2. I was happy with the distortion tone but there was a weird buzz that occurred during the notes decay. The best I can describe it as a static electricity type sound. So I am looking for recommendations for a good distortion pedal that can give me similar results to the Rat with the following settings Distortion 9:00, Filter 1:00, Volume 1:00. Seemed like a fairly standard 80's type metal sound. My amp is a Marshall Origin 20 through a Scumback M75, telecaster and a Les Paul Special Tribute with P90s. Not chasing a particular tone other than being able to get an 80's metal style tone when the mood hits. Not trying to break the bank or I would probably buy the Wampler Sovereign as the demos I have heard sound amazing. Any recommendations would be awesome.

2. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Sounds like there is an issue with either that Rat or maybe a cable or something. Take things in and out of the system and see if the fizz remains. Make sure you are getting the pedal the right power. Etc Etc.

A fizzy decay is not something I would typically associate with a Rat.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  3. baseballhack

I have checked everything. Sorry if my post came across as I believe this is normal for the Rat pedal I'm sure its not. I just don't want to order another one after the first one I got had a problem.

4. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

have most Marshall circuits & highly..highly recommend a Bogner la Grange...it has a variac to hit harder or lower amp to hit harder..3 dif eq's, sensitivity & blend knob like a 4 holer, 3 gain stages & a clean boost..it allows any generation M to go back or forwards depending on what you are wanting & you can absolutely hit subtle nuances in M circuit to really dial in..the 0 20 ya got would def get a majority of tones you are seeking

baseballhack likes this.
  5. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Afflicted

There is but one Rat

AFAIK, nothing else sounds like it or is quite as versatile...especially for that era of tone you are looking for....perhaps a rat clone, if you decide you don't want to keep that Rat....

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  6. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Holic

I like the Walrus Iron Horse v1. It’s a Rat type and I think it sounds amazing. What I hoped a Rat would sound like when I bought a Rat2. The Iron Horse is a little more dynamic and clearer than my memory of the Rat. But it’s been awhile so who knows? I bonded with this one. I was shooting it out between it and some big muffs and I decided I’m in the ‘Rat’ camp for now.

7. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Katzenkonig might be worth a look...Rat + treble booster melded together.

8. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Meister

Funny, I returned a Rat to GC because of the same annoying sizzle on sustained chords. I tried out every distortion pedal they had and came home with a Wampler Dracarys. It pulls off everything I liked about the Rat with the switch on open, with it set to tight you're in modern metal territory. Good eq as well.

baseballhack likes this.
  9. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I just got a new Rat 2 a couple of months ago, and I heard the buzz/fizz thing, but only through my little 15 watt Vox with the volume down very low.

I put the same pedal through a different amp running at "normal" volumes, and couldn't hear the buzz/fizz. And if there was anything residual, I could never hear it in a live context.

I've heard the same buzz/fizz thing with a multitude of different pedals, when the volume on the amp is very low. I don't think it's a pedal issue, per se.

King Creole likes this.
  10. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

When I got a Rat2 a couple of years ago I had convinced myself that I was having “rose colored glasses” about them because it had been so long since I owned one. That fizzy decay was annoying. I tried modding it, (thanks 11gauge) which helped tighten the low end a bit but that fizzy thing remained. It wasn’t until I got a proper LM308N clone (come on ProCo, if Chicago Stompworks can do it for $60 in America....?) that things were right. The harmonic complexity was also back.
    I have read how many people are turned off by the Rat2 from this can of bees decay thing. Its a shame because Rats can sound awesome.
    Not trying to start a op amp chip debate, but there is something ProCo did (possibly all the other hyper cheapo components of the current Rat2) to cause this.
    Edit: FYI, after I bought a 94’ big box re-issue Rat at a guitar show, I put the 3 Rats on my board and A/B/C’d them. The Mr Vermin sounded spot on to the old Rat. The Rat2 was missing a lot of mids that were present in the other two and had the can o’ bees thing...

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  11. JoeNeri

JoeNeri Friend of Leo's

Over many years, I've owned and/or played through many Rat and Rat-clone versions, including White Face, Big Box, early '90's originals and the current Rat 2. Best clone I've ever had was a Big Knob Rat Pak, and I did like the Chicago Stompworks Mr. Vermin. I've also had a Turbo Rat and a You Dirty Rat. Done the LM308N vs. OP07 thing to death.

We seem to be having more and more posts on this forum about tone and quality issues of the latest Rat 2 version. Let's face it - the current Rat 2 is a POS, at least as compared to earlier versions. Yes, it's playable, but it's no better than a whole bunch of other and cheaper can-of-bees distortion pedals.

You can get that '80's metal thing from MXR's Custom Super Badass Distortion or a modded DS-1.

baseballhack likes this.
  12. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted

Yah, a DS-1 would be my go-to for 80s distortion, even more so than the Rat. But at low volumes it's going to sound fizzy too. I think most if not all distortion pedals are going to be like that.

Isn't the Custom Badass itself a modded DS-1?

13. JoeNeri

JoeNeri Friend of Leo's

The MXR '78 Distortion is a modified DS-1. The Super is different, more versatile.

basher likes this.
  14. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

With the right mods, the buzz/fizz can possibly be minimized.

The DS-1 has a bazillion mods available for it. Used DS-1s are dirt cheap, so IMO getting some modded is usually cost-effective experimentation (and it can sometimes be fun, too).

baseballhack likes this.
  15. baseballhack

Thanks for all the replies! I have been seriously considering the MXR Superbadass. Normally I like to mod and tinker with my gear however I'm in the mood now to just have something that meets my basic needs so I can just play and quit tinkering. For now at least. I watched so many videos and read a lot of posts about the Rat2 never seen it mentioned before about the decay issue. Now i'm pissed at myself for not seeing others have had the same issue.

16. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

The Machine Head Pedals 98 Degrees fills that role for me and sounds great at your settings. I've A/B tested it against an '86 small box with the LM308 and gotten very close. IMO, the 98's tone control makes it more versatile.

17. kevsonic

kevsonic Tele-Meister

I can't help but second the Chicago Stompworks Mr Vermin vote, and I also tried it after an unsatisfactory Rat2 experience. I'm sure there's an element of unit-to-unit variation, but my ears just settled down at Mr Vermin with no wish to hunt any further.

18. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

awesome pedal

baseballhack likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.