Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Disillusioned with eBay?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Amos, Mar 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amos

Amos Tele-Meister

Mar 3, 2003
    Great Northwest
    Not really an oddity, but two experiences over the last few months have made me a little leeryof selling over the internet.

First, I shipped an amp to a guy via UPS last November, and it got busted in shipping. Looked OK on the outside, but it didn't work right. Understandably, the guy thought I sold him a bum amp at first, but we worked together and UPS eventually paid for the repairs after much hassle. The guy graciously sent me back the empty box, man was it tweaked....sheesh......

Second, I sold a small-dollar item and the buyer tried to rip me off. He paid via Paypal from an unconfirmed address, but I didn't worry because of the small amount. After I sent him an email telling him the item was shipped, I got a notice from Paypal that payment was being reversed as a possible fraud, because of the unconfirmed address. Luckily, I was able to contact the shipper while the item was in transit and they returned it to me.

Interesting that this person had won several auctions but there was zero feedback of any kind. The person is no longer able to buy or sell under that username, it's been revoked. I gotta think he/she tried to scam others and eBay and got kicked off under that name, but could be back.

Bottom line is do not ship until your payment is secure. Require bidders with negative or zero feedback to contact you before bidding.

I've had great experiences with folks here, so I'll keep at it, but just watch carefully for eBay scammers.......

2. openbar

openbar Tele-Holic

Mar 16, 2003
    Boston
    I've had great luck with ebay, all until about 6 months ago. Nothing real tragic happened, but I had a few deadbeat bidders on some items(all small ticket). And some slow payers - you know the type, their first transaction on ebay and they don't quite understand how it works (or how email works, for that matter). Still, I buy stuff all the time, but I haven't been selling as much as I used to. I'm watching peoples' feedback closer than ever too!

3. Tom A.

Tom A. Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2003
    Byram, Mississippi
    I have had great luck on ebay, but I did get a scam yesterday. I got a letter that looked like it was from ebay, wanted to update my info. They wanted my password, Visa card number and bank acount number. They said if I didn't provide this info, my acount would be closed. I knew ebay would never ask that kind of info from a email. I turned it over to ebay for them to investigate.

Tom

4. telemike

telemike Tele-Holic

Mar 17, 2003
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Me Too

I've gotten those emails also. I always ignore them. I wish I'da thought about sending them to someone at eBay... I'll have to start doing that from now on.

I've had nothing but good luck from eBay. I sold a guitar and amp and had no problems. Other than that, all of my transactions have been from the buying side. I don't bid on anything that makes me suspicious for any reason, even if I have no basis for it. I don't look at any auctions that are titled in ALL CAPS, because that is annoying, and I don't bid on auctions where the person has a 4 line description and 8 paragraphs telling you not to bid if you have negative feedback...

I've never bought guitars or gear off of eBay however.

3 >| ! \/\/

5. jazzguitar

jazzguitar Tele-Afflicted

Mar 17, 2003
    Germany
    Mostly good experience

I have done about 200 transactions buying and selling, and the only negative experience so far is that twice I never got the item. Both were low $ so don't really mind.

The ebayer who sold me my Princeton Reverb went to great lengths to make sure all went smoothly: double-boxed, tubes and parts sent in extra package, and repackaged the larger one as it was too large at first.

Selling items I had no bad experience, only once I did never receive payment because of paypal problems on my side. I nearly always ship items right away, before receiving payment, and had no deadbeat bidders so far.

On higher $ items I would want to see the payment first, though.

6. sunkidd

sunkidd Tele-Holic

Mar 17, 2003
    San Diego
    Deadbeat Bidders!

I have sold about 6 things on ebay and two of the items, guitar pedals, were never paid for! I sent several emails to winners and no response... weeks have gone by and I should relist them.... Weird luck I have... :?

7. sshan25

sshan25 Tele-Meister

Mar 18, 2003
    Albion, RI
    A NOT SO CAPITAL IDEA

So if a '53 Tele comes along that somehow has no reserve, a current bid of $1,000 and 30 seconds left to the auction you would miss it if the title was in caps because it's "annoying"? It's a world full of wonders we live in folks.

8. telemike

telemike Tele-Holic

Mar 17, 2003
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Re: A NOT SO CAPITAL IDEA

Yes that is correct. I would miss it. If you are selling a '53 tele, you don't need to title your auction

'53 TELE TELECASTER!!!!! FENDER!!!! >>>>>LOOK!!!!<<<<<<

Seriously. I just scan past these. Just like if someone were to call my house and wanted to sell me a new Porsche 911 for $5000. He isn't going to get the chance because I'm going to stop him before he gets started and ask him to remove me from whatever list he got my name from...

9. sshan25

sshan25 Tele-Meister

Mar 18, 2003
    Albion, RI
    A NOT SO CAPITAL IDEA

You are perfectly entitled to your opinion about caps in titles. I'm sure that I'm anal about plenty of things that others couldn't care less about. I will, however, continue to capitalize my headings. I have sold many items on Ebay and no one has yet commented on my cases, upper or lower.

10. openbar

openbar Tele-Holic

Mar 16, 2003
    Boston
    I also hate "NOT"s. 1967 TELECASTER NOT LES PAUL SG STRATOCASTER. Yeah, no kiddin'. Before you tell me why they do it (I know), I'm just saying that I consider it hucksterism and can't trust the person 100%. JMHO.

11. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Caps and nots...

I agree. Using all caps and "nots" are just plaid-sportscoat used-car salesman tactics.

Sorry - but I ignore every single one of them as well. If I see those types of headings I'm instantly assuming the description is more hype than fact.

I may be wrong about it, but that's my reaction. Give me as much honest information in the title as you can fit, please.

12. Andy R

Andy R Tele-Holic

Mar 17, 2003
    nashville
    Well, of course the "nots" are so if someone searches for SGs or whatever they'll see the offender's auction as well. I don't see the point, if I'm looking for an SG I wouldn't be cool enough for a 67 tele anyway!

13. MLT

MLT Tele-Meister

Re: Caps and nots...

Well, as a professional writer, I'm pretty sensitive to the all caps thing. 'Know what... most press releases are titled in all caps. It's not always rudeness at work.

I use all caps on Ebay because the title seems to have more weight to it. Plus, you're allowed a finite number of characters, why not make your ad take up a bit more space (mostly vertically) for some eye appeal. Personally, (again as a professional writer) I don't think all caps titles are as big a faux pas on Ebay as elswhere on the WWW.

Just a little food for thought.

14. Drak

Drak Tele-Holic

Mar 21, 2003
    DC 'Burbs
    Get Their Information!

Sunkidd, have you done an e-Bay 'information request' on these deadbeats?

It will send you all their personal information, address, phone, etc., and they will get yours.

I do this now if any winning bidder seems remotely strange, something about them knowing you know their pertinent facts seems to 'help' them with payments, FWIW...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.