Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Disgusted by Thieves

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by bparnell57, Apr 19, 2017 at 11:47 PM.

1. Jimmy Owen

Jimmy Owen TDPRI Member

Apr 2, 2017
    Moravian Falls, NC
    I've spent most of my life on and around college campuses. Things walk off if they aren't nailed down. Even at University of Virginia, where the Honor Code was such that a violation would result in permanent expulsion, things were stolen. The thefts, of course, were not committed by students but by folk who were adept at looking like students. For skilled thieves, campuses are easy targets.

Exam time or the weeks leading up til end of term are generally the worst; students are already tired and stressed. It's easy to let one's guard down for a moment, and a moment is all it takes.

I witnessed a couple of horror stories predating the digital age: a grad student at one of my former unis had an apartment fire, lost his graduate thesis and the notes thereon (but he made it out unharmed, with his Precision Bass.

He never completed. His experience, though, made me paranoid. I had my thesis backed up on floppy disks; I even sent a copy to a friend who kept it in her closet. My dissertation was backed up on two disks, one in my office and another that I kept at home.

I hope that the student recovers the data.

2. Peregrino69

Peregrino69 Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2016
    Amsterdam
    At least he has his priorities right :D

Jimmy Owen and bparnell57 like this.
  3. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

One of my favorite profs, and now a friend was in the process writing his second book. At the time he was at faculty at U.C Davis. He was working on one of the first books concerning the Soviet Union rise as a world power. They had a wild fire that destroyed his house but his wife ran in and saved the floppy discs that had all his work for the book. She held a prominent place on the acknowledgement page of the book when it was published.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017 at 4:14 PM
    bparnell57 likes this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

PhDs are a dime a dozen. Now a good bass player!

Jimmy Owen likes this.
  6. Jimmy Owen

Jimmy Owen TDPRI Member

Apr 2, 2017
    Moravian Falls, NC
    That's very true.

7. chemobrain

chemobrain Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2016
    oakland ca.
    i WAS DOING SECURITY AT A MAJOR HOSPITAL...
    I got a call about a car break-in and proceeded to the location of the burglary, and met the victim at his car. a back window was broken.
    What's missing
    my lap top
    Were was its location?
    on the back set.
    No bag no newspaper, a dell/hp/apple thingy sitting there in plain site on the back seat.
    The victim works in a section of the Oakland police department.
    He wasn't a beat cop or a detective he worked in records and data management public relations with the mayor office or something, college educated, nice newish Volvo, nicely dressed in casual professional clothing. Comfortable looking office shoes, well groomed no distinguishing feature no visible tattoos or piercings, he didn't seem to have been drinking or high.We waited for a patrol car; I finally told "they are not coming, computer theft is a very low priority in Oakland. Oakland is 35% short on the minimum number of cops working in Oakland. No finger printing lab, no budget no new graduating class from the academy and the federal government climbing up the departments, ah, backside for the last nine years because excessive violence being committed by the cops. Murder, Rapes, and other violent crimes were the priority. I told him how to fill a report and downtown would send a report in a couple of weeks.I did not tell him that leaving his laptop on the back seat unattended in an area with a very high percentage of auto burglaries was not a smart thing to do. But hey, he worked in the accounts manageable department or something, how was he to know. He did understand that he was the victim.
    A crime of opportunity

8. Frontman

Frontman TDPRI Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Tokyo
    This is false. Morality is not dependent on income, or the rich would all be saints, and the poor would all be evil. Theft for any reason is never justified, even if it is just to feed yourself. The minimum standard for all living things is the ability to support one's self, the exception being those who are physically or mentally unable to do so. I have visited many countries, and lived in more than a few.

When I was a young man, I was at times homeless and without regular work. I hitchhiked across America without any money in my pocket, but earned enough doing odd jobs that I never went a day without eating.

The problem with many poorer countries is that crime is seen as an acceptable means of satisfying one's wants. That is the reason that these countries and their people are poor. It is not a lack of money which creates crime and poverty, but acceptance of crime and corruption.

One thing I have learned in my life is that no matter how difficult a situation or problem is, there is always a solution, you just have to keep looking for it until you find it. If you have a healthy body and a reasonably working mind, you can find a way to feed yourself, no matter where you live.

callasabra likes this.
  9. Greenmachine

Greenmachine Tele-Holic

Nov 28, 2011
    New Jersey
    I've been leaving my laptop and backpack unattended in cafes, libraries, and more for years now. Never asked anyone to watch my stuff. That's cause I never fail to use a $40 cable lock to lash them all to a table or chair.

10. kLyon

kLyon TDPRI Member

Mar 21, 2011
    US
    Close. It was a train, not in the city.

11. Dean James

Dean James Tele-Meister

I also thought I might be remembering it was his first wife, not him, who actually lost the suitcase?

12. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    I've had a lot of stuff stolen.
    I'm never sure if I wanted to catch the thief, or be glad I didn't.
    Once a cop arrested the thief and brought him back to my place.
    I tried to be as calm as possible and say to the cop, "I know this guy...let me just talk to him alone for a couple minutes and I think we can get this straightened out."
    The cop knew.
    He said, "No WAY!"

13. thesamhill

thesamhill Tele-Meister

Dec 20, 2010
    Harrisburg, PA area
    Yup, thieves suck.

But I wouldn't trust a 3 year old laptop to store last month's grocery list. A dissertation- that's like a child. You obsess over it and have nightmares about the things that can go wrong with it and you wake up in the middle of the night and back it up 3 ways just so you can get back to sleep. Everyone I know who did a diss backed up the text and the data on 2 different cloud services, 4 different USB drives, emailed to themselves and their advisers, and printed a few times. I have to be completely honest, if I ever heard someone in a faculty interview say that they lost their diss data because they didn't have it backed up I wouldn't support hiring them. Electronic data management skills in this day and age are pretty important job qualifications for someone with a research degree.

Piggy Stu likes this.
  14. NotAnotherHobby

NotAnotherHobby Tele-Holic

Oct 27, 2015
    Da' Magic Mittin'
    Sucks the laptop was stolen. But...the student should have backed up his or her stuff. Especially given the amount of time and money invested getting to the point of a thesis. What happened if the hard drive crashed or the laptop for dropped?

No matter how little you have, someone is always out there who has less than you, or feels entitled to what you have. It has been like that for thousands of years, and isn't going to change any time soon. So you always should have a contingency in place for important stuff.

Most likely the thing got stolen and sold to get money for drugs.

Piggy Stu likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.