Discussion content, Relic, hi end PRS, Strats, Vintage, and you only by mint or new?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by teleman1, Mar 14, 2019 at 4:15 PM.

1. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Holic

Except for the lower line PRS's,(which are great guitars), Prs owner seem to be pretty anal about their instruments. A scratch might require an hour with their therapist over the matter. And, they might have to repair that scratch. We see lots of discussion over relic and not. But it really comes down to this, and it is almost like a religion the way you believe. You are either anal about your instrument or not. Me, outside of a bad smell, if the guitar plays and sounds like your God is next to you, that is all that matters. I only care about condition for the purchase price value and how hard it would be to sell from whatever malady you accepted when you purchased the guitar..

I have my belief systems. I am a Realtor. Some folks must have new or they are only interested in a home that is a total refurbish. For the most part, if you value your dollar, that is the easiest way to loose in Real estate, especially new, in the short term. Same goes for auto, buy new pay the pauper and you loose a few thousand the day of purchase. Fact is, some people just can't buy used, it tears them apart. There's the someone elses problem attitude too. When you grow up thinking one way about this, a total bargain scares you, unless it is new. For me, I don't like, used underwear or shoes; ain't going to happen. When cassette decks were in fashion; that I would buy new ,but good working speakers, receiver, I am OK with a good price for those. But man PRS owners, what is with them, If I dig into a guitar, I am going to ware it and eventual bang it up. What a Dichotomy owning a PRS is, great guitar, but don't scratch it or play it hard. Any mint PRS high end guitar is more like a show piece to them, than an instrument that you play.

And here is a case in point. Saw someone at anther forum saying they Jones for a holly body PRS. I have one and proposed a possible deal. I bought this PRS Holly body II. IT is in excellent shape cept for one thing. And that one thing would make most PRS owners twist and turn in an anal fricassee. When I bought it, the owner claimed there was a scratch on the back. The price was right. And I mean really right. I get the guitar, it wasn't a scratch more like a gash.I was a little peeved, but again I got it for a great price. I put a Betty Page decal that covers 90% of it. And you know what, it looks pretty cool. Anyway my proposal fell flat. I get the feeling that the person I was taking to would have a hard time keeping it if I gave it to him. I am not blaming him because if you have that philosophy inside you, you will never feel comfortable and it WILL make you twist and turn.

I get the same from customers in Real Estate. They only qualify for a certain amount. They look, and unfortunately without a Realtor to institute some stability in their thoughts. And decide, that they can not be happy with the budget they have to buy a USED home or fix up. People come to me and say, I want a fix up, a deal, but they are ingrained with this, NEW type attitude. And they never buy a home or chump themselves into a poorly done renovation that they let the sizzle do their decision.

In close, the answer really is people do not always rule with logic, they rule with emotion. Unless you ride with disposable income, you are never going to get there.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019 at 6:30 PM
  2. Muinarc

Muinarc TDPRI Member

The fancy look of a PRS kind of goes against the idea of relic jobs and "mojo". It makes sense that PRS fans would be picky about scrapes, dents, and dings when thinking from that angle. The most beat up PRS guitars I see tend to just have a lot of stickers on them for some reason.

3. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

I have realized that if I buy new pristine guitars they will sit in the case and played like a museum piece. If I get a used abused and fix up repair guitar I'll fix it up and play it. So I stopped buying new. I stopped chasing any Gibson weak headstock models either new or used. That's a lot of cash tied up in the cases otherwise.

I want perfect players so I do a lot of fret work and setup details to get even the under $100 starter guitars up in performance, but I worry less about the finishes. Made to play not enshrine in a picture frame.

I also buy houses with their troubles, some problems I know look bad but are easy to repair, and some don't look bad but are a huge job to fix.

4. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

I play my guitars..they are all in various condition,,kept set up & in tune..each has a specific job..cherish em all. prefer unbound necks & stock pups..sound & feel trump looks to me

5. Scottz

Scottz Tele-Holic

There's plenty of Fender owners here that act the same way, afraid to take the guitar out of the case.

6. thegeezer

thegeezer Tele-Afflicted

Honest, I was interested in discussing once I got a handle on the original post but, paragraphs...I didn’t read it.

matrix likes this.
  7. TC6969

TC6969 Friend of Leo's

If the opposite of win is loose what is the opposite of tight?

65 Champ Amp and AAT65 like this.
  8. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Pardon me, sir, but have you ever heard of paragraphs?

9. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

The look of a PRS is not something I'd expect to ever be "reliced", either naturally or as an option. People with those guitars tend to take very good care of them.

teleman1 likes this.
  10. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Holic

And taking "good care" if a guitar requires not playing them to the upmost.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019 at 6:32 PM
  11. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Holic

I'll take a wild guess, you own a high end PRS?

12. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Holic

I fixed it for you.:)

13. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Meister

A guitar is a musical instrument that you hold close to your body and play with your hands. If it's not getting beat up a bit you're not doing it right.

Think of the greatest players of all time....Can you name a single one who plays a pampered case queen?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019 at 6:51 PM
    teleman1 likes this.
  14. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Brian Seltzer
    Glenn Campbell
    Waylon Jennings
    Kenny Wayne Shepard
    BB King
    Buddy Guy
    Brad Paisley

Come to mind. Many players go on stage with nice looking guitars. I'm sure they wore some out but replaced them.

You can take care of an instrument and still play it. If I drop or ding one I don't break down in tears but I don't go out of the way to make one a relic. I have no desire to own Willie's Trigger or any other acoustic with pick holes in it. Seems those are more statement than necessary.

15. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Holic

I have seen Brad, Buddy, & BB. BB sweats and banged, Buddy eats his guitar for diner. And there is no way Brad doesn't knock his guitars around a lot.

16. TC6969

TC6969 Friend of Leo's

This guy actually has grooves dug into his fret board!

He does about 200 gigs a year and it SHOWS!

[​IMG]

17. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Wow. So much judgement. Do you have some evidence for this opinion?

I know two guys who own non-import PRS guitars. One owns a McCarty something. The other owns a 513. They both use them for gigs, and they treat them like their other guitars. Sure, they wipe them down when they sweat all over them, but they don't seem overly concerned to me. Neither of those guys has a therapist.

18. 65 Champ Amp

65 Champ Amp Tele-Holic

All I can say is that if I scratched a guy's PRS, no way am I getting into his dentist chair!

teleman1 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.