Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Disassembling a Telecaster for Air travel

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by vmodified, Mar 27, 2012.

1. vmodified

vmodified TDPRI Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vancouver
    Thank you so much guys for your input! I couldn't believe I already had 19 replies within 9 hours of posting! That's incredible. How many forum members are here?

I've carefully read each of your answers. I guess I will be well putting the whole guitar in the suitcase with clothes.

Luckily, I am not travelling with United (United breaks guitars LOL!). For the 335 I bought a CasExtreme. Those cases started being manufactured as a response to that United breaks guitars video. So I hope it works.

Thanks again!

2. 63dot

63dot Friend of Leo's

He, he, I wouldn't be surprised if United secretly owned that case company.;)

3. Dorsal900

Dorsal900 TDPRI Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Chicago
    Repeat: Do NOT count on anything from the TSA!

You got lucky, and perhaps that is the "new attitude" for TSA screeners, or something in West Texas, or the phase of the moon, or just the luck of the draw. Maybe the guy who seized my 15mm wrench (above) was being a turkey, but this occurred in a small town airport that sees about four flights per day, so it came as a bit of a surprise.

I am totally paranoid about flying with a delicate guitar after I had to check a Guild flattop acoustic once. Since then, I never count on being able to carry a guitar as carry-on baggage - after all, it does not conform to the size rules posted on any airline's website.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Chris H.

Chris H. Tele-Afflicted

Jan 2, 2010
    UK
    Ive travelled with US Airways and Brithish Airways and ive never had a problem in taking a guitar onboard as hand luggage. I even took a Music Man Stingray in a case once.

6. converse120

converse120 TDPRI Member

May 30, 2007
    UK
    Bought a CS Tele from GC to fly home to the UK with in 2008 and they gave me a copy of a letter to show the airline if necessary saying that they were obliged to accept musical instruments as carry-on. Told the airline (virgin) at check-in that i would be carrying it on, they didn't question it and neither did the TSA. Sorry, i don't remember the name given to the letter or its wording. It was as though it was an agreement between a 'musican's union' and the FAA. Will try to find it and post here.

Cheers

Ian

7. Drunkinminer

Drunkinminer Tele-Holic

Feb 3, 2008
    Canada
    Calling the airline is not an option because after all it's up to security if it can be carried on.

Besides how long are you going for you NEED two guitars.:eek:

8. dylanfan424

dylanfan424 Tele-Meister

Sep 7, 2011
    Elkhart, IN
    I went to Alaska two years ago and took a grand auditorium style acoustic in a hsc and just walked on the plane with it. As long as you are nice and ask politely they will usually store it upfront in the flight attendants closet where they keep suits for businessmen and the like. Otherwise you can do a gate check on it if they refuse and this means they will just stick it down below and then hand it to you as you exit the aircraft, IMHO this is the best way to go.

Goodluck, Joe

9. Rolling Estonian

Rolling Estonian Friend of Leo's

Aug 23, 2009
    Bethesda, MD.
    I traveled a couple months back with aforementioned tele in SKB case and a TSA guy tried to give me grief in the line where you have to show your ID and boarding pass, I just said it was a musical instrument and kept walking.

I've taken my guitar as carry on for at least 20 flights in the past few years, and that was the most grief I got. Also, I fly in and out of D.C. airports which are generally screened the most, coming and going.

M

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.