Disappointed !

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Bill Moore, Mar 15, 2019 at 1:42 PM.

1. Bill Moore

Bill Moore Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

One of my shop customers came by yesterday, and gave me a Blues Jr. He said it was working fine, and the next set, "the bottom fell out". He had dug it out of a store room, and decided I was the one that needed it.
    After hearing all the problems with these little amps, I was expecting the worst, and anticipating building something cool in the chassis. I plugged it into an extension cab, installed a reverb tank, and fired it up. All was well, it has had an adjustable bias pot installed, and after 30 minutes, I plugged a Tele in and played with it for a while, (maybe the K130 helped, but it sounds great!) I decided to get the SG with humbuckers, and try it, unplugging the cord produced hum, buzz, pop, static. Moving the plug, I realized it has a bad jack! I put one in the cart at CE today.
    I had planned on a project, but I think I'll just clean it up, install a jack and a speaker, and flip it. Maybe next time!

robrob and t guitar floyd like this.
  2. t guitar floyd

t guitar floyd Tele-Holic

He gave it to you? Now there's a cool customer! :cool:

3. Bill Moore

He is a friend, and I helped him with a (non automotive), project last week, and didn't charge him for it, so he was trying to get even I guess!

4. 4 Cat Slim

4 Cat Slim Friend of Leo's

What a letdown!
    Just a bad input jack...

Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  5. Bill Moore

Looked it over a bit today, I noticed there was a yellow wire taped off, and bundled with the OT wires, none of the BJ schematics show a multiple tap output! I got a few numbers from the OT, (with a mirror), TF110-48 UL. The web says it is a 4 and 8 ohm output, 6800 ohm input with UL taps, generally used with a Deluxe Reverb.
    Maybe the OT upgrade happened when the bias was installed?
    Now I'm considering adding another jack that switches to 4 ohm when another speaker is connected, (I still get to play with it a little bit!)

6. LudwigvonBirk

LudwigvonBirk Tele-Holic

Those on-board BJR input jacks get twerked and can easily break when the chassis gets yanked and re-installed, seen it.

And of the multiple BJR's I have helped fix, every single one was modded by a seemingly relative noob with burned holes and lifted traces.

Nice cheap amp though, especially used+NO MODS. I like mine (massively hacked by me). They weren't really built to be hacked on or even repaired - somebody should make an aftermarket hack-friendly replacement board

Bill Moore likes this.
  7. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Despite all the negative internet rep, Fender sells a lot of these amps for a good reason. They are inexpensive, lightweight, and sound pretty darn good for a lot of genres. I do agree with the above comment, access to a replacement board would be a nice thing to find on the market.

8. Bill Moore

I did a search, (before I got it), and only found Torres's rework that still had reverb. His "board" is just a commercial tagboard.
    Maybe the Russian company that used to market the "replacement" Mesa circuit boards would build one?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.