Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Disapointed with Belton 9pins sockets (VT9-ST2)

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by vince67, Jun 18, 2018.

1. vince67

vince67 TDPRI Member

Sep 23, 2017
    UK
    Hello everyone,

I'm currently building an AC15 clone hand ave ordered these Belton 9pins sockets (VT9-ST2) to fit my 12AX7s, EF86, and EL84s...

I read some boutique manufacturers really like them and they kinda look cool, but I can say I'm very disappointed with those. I find some of these sockets are really too loose. I really would not recommend them.

I'm wondering if anyone had any good/bad experience with this type of sockets?

I have ordered some ceramic sockets to replace the Belton's, which I have used in the past, I will put an update once I have fitted them, but I am confident these will be much more tighter.

2. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jan 1, 2013
    Salt Lake City
    That's a bummer. I've had very good luck with the Beltons. If anything, mine can be almost too tight on initial use.

Not sure if there are 'old' Beltons with the 'flower petal' pin springs you can adjust and 'new' Beltons with fixed springs that you can't???

3. schmee

schmee Tele-Afflicted

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    I hate ceramics. Wont use them. Are you sure they are loose? You know the pin holders float in the plastic right? So ....you can wiggle the tube, but the pins are tight.

sds1 likes this.

4. dan40

dan40 Tele-Holic

Aug 19, 2015
    Richmond Va
    All of the Beltons I have used have also been very tight when installing a tube for the first time. Like schmee mentioned, the pins do have quite a bit of wiggle to them until you insert a tube. This is actually a good thing and helps to prevent tube breakage when inserting a tube with slightly bent pins.

5. vince67

vince67 TDPRI Member

Sep 23, 2017
    UK
    Thanks for all your replies!

It's the new ones:
    http://www.karltone.co.uk/belton-9-pin-vt9-st2-socket-505-p.asp

Yes, I'm aware the pins are loose until a tube is inserted.

@schmee. Yes that's correct, the tube can wiggle, but the contact between the tube and the pins seems to stay solid.
    Still, I don't like it. I'm going to do comparisons this weekends with the ceramics.

6. sds1

sds1 Tele-Holic

May 4, 2017
    Orlando, FL, USA
    I dunno man, seems like all sockets do this to some degree.

7. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jan 1, 2013
    Salt Lake City
    As Dan40 says, it sounds like a feature, and a plus in function. At worst it has no downside.

Do not go gently into that ceramic night...

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    schmee likes this.

8. vince67

vince67 TDPRI Member

Sep 23, 2017
    UK
    Ok. Just a quick update. I did get ceramic sockets for comparison, an they're about the same. They can also wiggle from side to side. But once every pin is wired and solder it's much tighter.

I guess it's just me worrying for nothing, it's been some time since my last build so I forgot how some of those part feel. :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.