Dirt opinions

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by ReverendRevolver, Jun 12, 2019 at 12:47 AM.

1. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Meister

So, full disclosure:

I don't own many dirt pedals. I've always gotten by with my Big Muff for fuzz, Graphic Fuzz for kinda fuzzy distortion, and that was that. Borrowed TS models, modded blues driver, DS 1s and other stuff, but as far as buying stuff, there have always been plenty of choices, but I couldn't see much need for one. Until now, because i want to diversify.
    I'll be hitting up GC and another store this week to scope out used stuff, but what's everyone's favorite dirt pedals?

Specifically, I'm being broad, Fuzz, Distortion, and OD all count. Favorite and best why, just to see if stuff pops up I wouldn't have otherwise looked for.

(Side note, I'm trying to not have all EHX stuff, but the Glove and Soulfood both sound solid. Like OCD style stuff and Klon-ish stuff. )

Anyway, what's everyone's favorites? Are there like more practical spins on Rat, OCD, Centaur, DS1(its kinda noisy...) thanks in advance!

2. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Holic

I have a Timmy and an OCD and previously tried a Boss Blues Driver.

I love the Timmy.

3. JayDee

JayDee Tele-Meister

I recently got a Nobels ODR Mini. It's become my main overdrive/distortion simply because of its versatility and ease of use. It's hard to make it sound bad. I highly recommend checking one out. They're very inexpensive as well.

JayFreddy and dreamingtele like this.
  4. Festofish

Festofish TDPRI Member

I recently added a Boss OD/Dist OS-2 and it added life to my sound. Pretty versatile and of course rock solid. $50 used.

5. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

To me it starts with a classic like a Boss SD1. It only does one thing - simple, classic OD - but it does it really well.

From there I would add maybe a Soul Food, probably as a solo boost.

Then I'm done.

JayFreddy and GuitarKid like this.
  6. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Gain stacking like the video below. Joyo shown there is a solid pedal, $30 online, Can be used direct as shown to be a cab sim in the video or the front end of an amp like a regular pedal -- has a wide range of tones.

Got a RAT? Even getting a clone like an Ammoon Black Rat ($26 Amazon) is a good start.

I stack a pair of Boss DS-1s into a six-knob-boutique pedal, I paid $40 total for the pair I have. Essentially I use one at zero gain more like a TS job as the video shows.

I'm not sure if it's this JM video or another one but he says, "why does anyone want a 'transparent' pedal? If I'm using a pedal I want it to actually do something".

7. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Tele-Meister

I use an SD1 and I love it. Perfect sound for my Deville and Telecaster

JayFreddy and GuitarKid like this.
  8. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Try as many as you can. Remember that pedals are rig dependent- you'll want to replicate your own guitar/amp combo as much as possible, maybe even bring your own gear. I have pedals that sound brilliant through my DRRI that sound awful through my Ampeg. Also remember that what sounds good on the floor at GC isn't necessarily gonna work in a band context (Big Muff, I'm looking at you).

Here are a couple of my current favorite dirt boxes:
    Rat
    OCD
    Wampler Pinnacle
    Catalinbread Katzenkoenig
    All the Catalinbread amp-in-a-box stuff

Fuzz is its own thing, but the Dunlop mini Fuzz Faces are totally legit. For a few more bucks the Fulltone 69 has more tonal options. You definitely don't need to spend ridiculous money on high end fuzzes with unobtanium transistors to get a good fuzz sound (though you certainly can if you want).

Good luck!

Frodebro and Greggorios like this.
  9. highwayjones

highwayjones TDPRI Member

If I was just starting out I would go with a bluesbreaker type pedal just because it typically gets along with most amps, stacks well and fulfills the need for many music types. (the Snouse Black Box seems to be a versatile option).

10. Greggorios

Greggorios Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Sparkle Drive or Sparkle Drive Mod

mitchfinck and uriah1 like this.
  11. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Meister

Timmy, Morning Glory, Klon, Barber gain changer or direct drive...

Here’s an idea, find a used tc electronic nova drive. Loads of tones, analog signal path with digital controls allows you to save settings.

12. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

My pedals.

Ds1 - highly versatile.
    Bd2. Highly versatile
    Soul food. Beautiful transparency
    Ts 909 - good to stack with.
    Fuzz face germanium. Nice and angular.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GuitarKid likes this.
  13. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

You can find just about every dirt flavor in the Chinese minis like Donner, Tomsline, Rowin, etc. I would start there and if you like the clone of any of them, you can always pony up for the original if you see the need. You can try a fuzz, OD and distortion for less than the price of many single dirt pedals.

Obsessed likes this.
  14. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Bad monkey and east river drive, soul food..fit too..nice and basic dirt
    My snouse black box is closer to the centaur thing going on.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019 at 7:39 AM
    Old Deaf Roadie likes this.
  15. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

A couple of flavors of dirt off the beaten track: Zendrive, kind of a Dumble-in-a-box pedal, note-flipping, infinite sustain, etc. Not for everybody but I use one for slide & it's cool.

Also from Lovepedal: they make a bunch of variations on their COT circuit, the Tchula, the JTM, the Les Luis and the Amp 11 among others. This is my current favorite flavor. Not crazy versatile -- the JTM has one knob, the main channel of the Tchula has none -- but organic-sounding and good feel. Tele and a Tchula is right up there with peanut butter and chocolate as a combo. The Amp 11 is the most versatile of these, with a Timmy clone on one side and a COT boost on the other.

16. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

MXR Super Badass Distortion is a modern-sounding distortion pedal that is very versatile

Plus, it's got the coolest name of any pedal ever

lineboat likes this.
  17. GuitarKid

GuitarKid Tele-Meister

I have, besides a fuzz face, just an SD1 and a BD2. These cover my dirty needs. Sometimes I wish I had something different just for variety. The SD1 does my higher-gain-almost-distortion type of overdrive, while the BD2 does the lighter, bluesy laid-back OD thing. The BD2 has more color variation and gets along with almost anything you plug it into. The SD1 is more of just one tone all across the spectrum, you can add gain or reduce gain, and tweak the EQ, but it has always the same mid-rangy character.

JayFreddy likes this.
  18. allesz

allesz Tele-Meister

Totally agree with hemingway about the SD1: it's important to try it, it's a classic! Just like a Rat, a Tube Screamer, a Fuzz Face and it's important to try them out.

You may find, like a lot of peole, that your search is already over; or you will start the search for the right "shade" of overdrive.

Beside that it's always fun to keep an eye on the new offerings: I didn't bond with the OCD, liked a Klon (clone), but nothing so special, loved the Riot (great distortion but also really good od), the Cruncher...

19. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

There are really very few varieties of overdrive pedals, with vary slight nuances separating many of them. And all of these differences magically vanish when playing in a band.

TelePunkJCM and Lies&Distortion like this.
  20. TwangBrain

TwangBrain TDPRI Member

A guitarist can't go wrong with these;

An older RAT pedal
    A correctly designed/built fuzzface circuit fuzz pedal
    A Blackstone Appliances MosFet drive

I like fuzz a bunch, and have and have had many throughout the years...I've found those three listed above to be pedals that not only I personally use and like, but can also have a "universal" appeal regarding tone, quality, and utility.

Bill likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.