Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

"Directional" guitar cables

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Hexabuzz, Oct 22, 2016.

1. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO

Uh, you know we're gonna need to see the documentation for that....pics too if ya' gotta 'em or you know, it never happened. :p

Mr Green Genes likes this.

2. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 19, 2010
    Brisbane
    Or a racehorse.

3. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2014
    UK
    Pointless exercise messing with analogue and copper these days when you can get a zero capacitance, zero loading optical cable.

[​IMG]

bigbean likes this.

4. bigbean

bigbean Tele-Afflicted

Feb 6, 2013
    Hartville OH
    My issue with this is: What sort of metaphysical transformation occurs when the electrons become photons only to become electrons again 20 ft later? and does this process tickle?

At least it's better than making the swim through a tube of mercury on their way to the chrome plated spring clip behind the front plate of the amp chassis.

Modman68 likes this.

5. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Cool, thank you. I've actually been looking for another Whirlwind and they aren't to be found in any guitar shop I know of anymore.
    My 25-year-old Whirlwind is still going strong and gets used daily without fault.

6. Mr. Lumbergh

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Sadly, this appears to be true...

soulman969 and Mr Green Genes like this.

7. tecelaster

tecelaster Tele-Meister

Apr 11, 2015
    Glasgow, Scotland
    But there has to be both an ADC and DAC converter in there for the analogue voltages, so you're at the mercy of their 'quality'....more smoke n mirrors I think.

8. Guitarteach

Aug 6, 2014
    UK
    Yep.. The huge chain of digital conversions we use to listen to all these 'magical tones' right from studio to the home via digital recording & mastering, CDs, mp3s, Wavs & Web, etc. are clearly just all collectively ruining the tone.

That's the irony of it all... We are all in an end to end digital audio world but arguing on the efficacy of some bits of legacy lo-fi solutions from the past.

Audiophiles need to just do the 'room treatment' and then use their huge pots of money to buy an orchestra instead. Or rent their fave bands for the night.

Be about same cost.

9. Revv23

Revv23 Friend of Leo's

Oct 9, 2009
    Michigan
    You cant find em because they arent expensive enough to be booteek and they are so much nicer than the cheap cables. No spot for them.

10. tecelaster

tecelaster Tele-Meister

Apr 11, 2015
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I hear you. Given that musicians make so little money from recorded music these days anyway that's a potential good earner. Our wonderful elites could hire real playlists of their favourite bands and singers for private per...oh wait a minute....

11. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 24, 2015
    my Mom's basement
    upload_2016-11-24_12-37-28.png please help this thread to a 1000 posts

12. Guitarteach

Aug 6, 2014
    UK
    Maybe an incentive?

How about a free Lyric cable for whoever posts #1000

soulman969, xafinity and Blue Bill like this.

13. Mr. Lumbergh

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    I'll take one. It may not be magic as it's purported to be, but still seems like a quality cable.

14. Guitarteach

Aug 6, 2014
    UK

15. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 24, 2015
    my Mom's basement
    so are we agreed?
    1000th post is the winning entry?
    someone must agree to mooch at least two (or more) 'evaluation' cables from the manufacturers, one for poster #1000 and one for hexabuzz as original poster.

Blue Bill, Hexabuzz and soulman969 like this.

16. bigbean

bigbean Tele-Afflicted

Feb 6, 2013
    Hartville OH
    Agreed.

MIT cables founded by Bruce Brisson offers a pair of RCA to RCA cables for just under 20k. I'm sure for a small upcharge they will make you a set with 1/4" jacks on the end. This will get from your PRS custom shop through a Vintage TS808 or Klon to your Dumble doing minimum violence to your signal - if you don't mind being pretty close to the amp.
    These cables are directional, of course

Link here: http://www.mitcables.com/available-in-stores/oracle-ma-x-shd-interconnect.html

This would be part of a 50k + rig.

To those of you who think this is kind of high, all I can say is, do you like tone or not?

You'll notice that you can Etail the rca ended version on your credit using their point an click to cart checkout system.

bon appétit!
    Oracle_MA_X_SHD__525f36d4528d5.jpg

17. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

Nov 5, 2013
    NJ
    Yes I have whirlwind and Proco Cables. I also have some Fender Cables and a truly crappy Ernie Ball cable. I her the Dimarzio cables are good.
    I have an effects send on my board that has a directional cable in it.
    In 1978 I had a group that was recording, and I went to get strings and stuff in Brooklyn, and the old lady in the shop sold me a cable ( 8ft) and said to me" this cable will never let you down , darling", and so far it hasn't. But if it had a brand name it has rubbed off.
    I did sound in a heavy metal club for several years and I have not had to buy a guitar stand or cable since then. I did buy a Tweed Fender cable to march my Tweed ProJr, and a couple of short supposedly good ones ( Tone Master ?) to record with.
    I used to put a brick strategically placed over the transformer of my studio monitor amp, but I can't remember why, and all I had to do was chip it off the house somewhere. LOL

18. soulman969

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO

19. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty
    Truth is, even through the best cable, I'm gonna still suck compared to the greats. I'm fine with that.

Life's too short. Eat a pizza, go hiking or whatever. Have some fun.

soulman969 likes this.

20. soulman969

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    Ah what the hell. I'll make it #600. :p

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.