Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

"Directional" guitar cables

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Hexabuzz, Oct 22, 2016.

1. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    So...

Evidence Audio says:

"The Lyric HG, like all Evidence Audio Cable, is directional. This means sound travels through it with better tonal qualities in one direction than the other."

Can anyone explain or refute this claim?

2. demon

demon Tele-Meister

Jan 18, 2015
    Northern Europe
    Sounds like nonsense to me. Sound doesn't travel through it at all. And an electric guitar signal is AC.

3. Zesty feline

Zesty feline Tele-Meister

Oct 12, 2015
    Australia
    Avoid them, I've heard that "One Direction" used those cables!

opend, unixfish, Teleka and 19 others like this.

4. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine
    Yeah, I can't think of any way ac signal could go "better" in one direction. Unless there's some sort of diode involved, but that would cause distortion, which is never better than an undistorted signal. I say BS.

Rich724 likes this.

5. Chris S.

Chris S. Asst. Admin Staff Member Ad Free Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Near TELE-Town (Wash. DC)
    Admin Post
    This is one of those subjects like "tone woods" that can't be proven either way. It's opinion and conjecture vs. opinion and conjecture. No thanks. CS

6. Steerforth

Steerforth Tele-Afflicted

May 17, 2009
    Arkansas
    If you plug them in the wrong way, you'll hear backmasked messages when you play.

ringii99, Teleka, Fiesta Red and 6 others like this.

7. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 Friend of Leo's

Aug 14, 2004
    Stratford, Ontario
    I was going to say as well that the only way you could make it one-directional is slap some sort of diode in there. And that's really not going to do anything useful, now is it?

8. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    Directional cables make a big difference in sound...to some people.

soulman969 likes this.

9. cboutilier

cboutilier Tele-Afflicted

Oct 28, 2015
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    I'm going to file this one under serious BS. AC Current will travel down a conductor either direction just fine. I would image the orientation of the cord has about as much effect as the change in gravitational potential energy in the electrons climbing up to a marshall stack as opposed to a small combo.

JustABluesGuy and Racer5 like this.

10. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine
    I looked up EA cables. I couldn't find any explanation for the directional difference. They do recommend at least 40 hours of "break-in", that is, play through the cables for 40 plus hours, which gives the dialectric characteristics time to stabilize, and allows the molecular structure to align itself.

I'll say this for them: there's lots of people writing reviews insisting that, after the allotted 40 hours, the cables sure do sound super-duper. Plus, David Gilmore uses them; proof positive of, well... something.

Here's an example of an enthusiastic EA user: "...we’re discussing the necessary need for a naked, pure, sound without masks or mysticism — and some ears cannot, and will not, handle that reality. Those frightened folks are happy enough to mash down the impurities of their sound with stompboxes and cables that yearn to please with a predetermined, dull, aesthetic..."

https://bolesblogs.com/2009/11/10/the-evidence-audio-cables-review/

Huh?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
    Hexabuzz likes this.

11. Racer5

Racer5 Tele-Afflicted

Dec 27, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    That's why i always put my head on the floor, the tone has to fight too much to travel up if it's sitting on top of my cab.

Truecolors and Honest Charley like this.

12. bchaffin72

Aug 14, 2004
    Stratford, Ontario
    So remember, kiddies, along with your wallet, bring your bionic ears or you just won't be able to appreciate the awesomeness of our....................marketing department.

Tony474, ringii99, 1955 and 4 others like this.

13. Sandhill69

Sandhill69 Tele-Holic

Jun 18, 2016
    Colorado
    It is your responsibility, no, our collective responsibility, to keep good electrons from going bad. Throughout the signal chain there are an almost endless series of opportunities for the electrons we shepherd to come under degrading influences, whether they be from wire of inappropriate gauge, strand count, silver content, insulating material, or directionality. And we all know that there is no redemption...once an electron has gone bad there is no way it can become good again, despite those charlatans who claim for example that the effects of a clockwise twisted conductor can be reversed by an anti-clockwise twisted conductor. I beg my fellows to not doubt the power of the virtuous signal path, and above all do not fall under the influence of those of little faith who do not believe that the tone, to say nothing of the soul itself, of a wire changes over the course of say forty hours of break in.

14. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    This is definitely in "Tone Rite" territory. This is one of the funnier testaments I've read about the ToneRite:

Yes, it works.
    I repair/restore guitars for a living, and here is something I've noticed again and again over the years:

Any time you disturb a long established system, it's like a shock the system needs time to recover from. Acoustic and electric instruments essentially react the same way to this.A "shock to the system" can be a refret, neck reset, bridge reglue, but even something as simple as removing and re-attaching the neck on a bolt-on guitar.

Afterwards, the guitar doesn't sound the same, and it usually sounds worse.
    Now, typically the instrument will "come back" after some time. Depending on the severity of the disturbance, it can take months.

The ToneRite speeds this process up significantly.

Hexabuzz, RetroTeleRod and Henry like this.

15. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    If they are directional... does it matter which end I put the snake oil on?

Tony474, ringii99, Nickfl and 3 others like this.

16. bchaffin72

Aug 14, 2004
    Stratford, Ontario
    Yes. Always work the snake oil from left to right. NO exceptions..............

Fiesta Red and RetroTeleRod like this.

17. bchaffin72

Aug 14, 2004
    Stratford, Ontario
    I guess some of my potting wax must have worked its way into my ears. I've removed and reattached my necks plenty of times. The dramatic, horrible change I noticed was....................absolutely none.:D

william tele likes this.

18. sonicsmitty

sonicsmitty Tele-Meister

Jan 2, 2012
    Clarksville, TN
    It could just be proof positive that famous, respected people can be duped as well.

Stingfan73 and Doctorx33 like this.

19. Torz Johnson

Torz Johnson Tele-Afflicted

Jun 9, 2003
    NY

20. jman72

jman72 Tele-Holic

Aug 31, 2013
    Central Florida
    Guitar cables are copper wires. There is no "molecular structure" to a copper wire- it is a metallic crystalline material (face centered cubic structure) made up of copper atoms arranged identically from one end of the wire to the other. There is no "sound" moving in a copper wire- it is only the movement of delocalized electrons through the wire created by the voltage difference between the guitar pickup and the amp that allows sound to be transmitted as electrical current. All this talk about break in and dielectric characteristics is simply false.

VanManNW, Doctorx33, RoyBGood and 2 others like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.