Direct box pre amp for computer (replace Behringer GDI 21)

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by hotwired, Feb 11, 2019.

1. hotwired

hotwired TDPRI Member

Oct 15, 2018
    winslow maine
    Good Morning,

I have a behringer GDI 21 amp modeler now but it's pretty horrible in that the gain is either all or nothing, so it's not very useful for plugging into my PC. What I need is a box that will give me some effects (a little distortion, and decent clean sound, preferably with some compression). I use it mainly for learning stuff on youtube. So I plug the guitar in, then can listen to both thru my wireless headphones. Any suggestions for brand and model?

Thanks all.

2. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Yorkshire
    How are you connecting it to your computer?. There may be a load/level/impedance mis-match. Anyway, consider one of the Joyo 'Flavour' ( for want of a better term ) pedals such as the American Sound or ACTone. As you nudge the gain and voice up, the natural compression comes up too.
    Mooer released a gamut of mini-pre pedals a while ago which look interesting.

3. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    Zoom Multi Stomp has some decent amp/cab sims, but it might be over kill for your needs.
    For great sounding simplicity, Tech 21 (Sans Amps) are fabulous and the Joyo copies of the Tech 21 Character Series (mentioned above) are also really decent sounding.

If you are looking for something with XLR (low imp) out, only some of the Tech 21 Series have it out of the ones I mention above.

rickthescot likes this.
  4. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Tele-Afflicted

Feb 18, 2018
    WV
    The GDI21 is a pretty accurate clone of the old sansamp GT2, for less than 1/4th the cost. I hate them both, but I occasionally use the behringer since it's so cheap, so I'm not as disappointed with it, if that makes sense. I had a GT2 for a while and sold it for pretty much what I paid for it. They are ridiculously over priced. Many folks love them. I think they are crap.

They need to be fiddled with quite a bit to get a usuable setting. They are not plug and play, unfortunately.

For me it's a one trick pony. The marshall and mesa settings are utter crap and unusable, IMO. The fender setting is only slightly less crap, but at least usable since it's not so compressed and distorted. I use the non-hot rodded fender setting, and switch the mic placement to get something workable. If you need more drive/distortion, consider using another pedal before the GDI21.

Also, the GDI21 like the GT2 has an XLR out, which works a bit better than the 1/4'' out, but you need an interface with an XLR mic input.

5. hotwired

hotwired TDPRI Member

Oct 15, 2018
    winslow maine
    My needs are super simple. Just something to play along with youtube videos, that has at least a little distortion so my sound "jibes" with what I'm trying to learn. Sounds like maybe I ought to just stay put with my Behringer GDI 21. I'll play with it ... Thank you all!

6. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Yorkshire
    How about forgetting about just playing through your computer, and buying a small amp like a Roland Cube, Blackstar Fly 3, Yamaha THR5, Laney Mini-Lionheart or something of that ilk and running your computer headphone or line-out into the aux-in of the amp?. You'd need wired headphones, but that's not a biggie. Or, run the headphone out from the amp into the line-in on the soundcard.

There's much mileage to be had from the amps listed above ( and others too, I just can't remember them ), as they all sound really good as amplifiers. It gives you an additional layer of flexibility. The basic Fly 3 doesn't cost much more than a pedal and sounds great. The Yamaha and Laney give more options. Tiddler amps, which used to be a joke product, have come such a long way now that they bear serious consideration.

Spend an hour on Youtube looking some of them up.

7. hotwired

hotwired TDPRI Member

Oct 15, 2018
    winslow maine
    That might work too! I don't want to get too crazy but that does sound like a great idea.

8. Grandma's Tele

Grandma's Tele Tele-Meister

Aug 20, 2009
    Canada
    Peregrino69 likes this.
  9. Grandma's Tele

Aug 20, 2009
    Canada
    If you use wireless headphones when you play guitar, you will have latency. There will be a delay between the moment you play a note and the moment you hear it. Wireless headphones are not recommended for musicians because of that. You will have a much better experience with wired headphones!

10. Grandma's Tele

Aug 20, 2009
    Canada
  11. rickthescot

rickthescot Tele-Meister

Feb 14, 2011
    Texas
    Not the least expensive option, but I use my Zoom G3 for that and much more.

12. Treadplatedual

Treadplatedual Tele-Meister

Oct 17, 2018
    Indianapolis, IN
    Boss katana mini is a really great amp for what you've described :)

13. Grandma's Tele

Aug 20, 2009
    Canada
    I ordered a Hotone British Invasion. I haven't received it yet. It's supposed to sound good with headphones, though and there is an effects loop.

14. DADGAD

DADGAD Tele-Afflicted

Mar 18, 2003
    Earth
    Zoom G1Xon. Fun little pedal with a bunch of effects, distortions and amps. Cheap, too.

15. Grandma's Tele

Aug 20, 2009
    Canada
    The Hotone just showed up by UPS. Then the electricity cut off! (Probably because of the bad weather.) Not a good friday!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.