Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Dilemma

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by justin.ramsey, May 16, 2018.

1. justin.ramsey

justin.ramsey Tele-Holic

Jun 3, 2009
    Northern, KY
    Buddy of mine texted me today and offered to sell me his very nice 1967 Super Reverb. Original speakers no mods just cap job and tubes. It’s a silverface. Serial number is really close to his 67 Blackface super so I’m thinking it’s probably one of the very first silverfaces. I don’t need the amp but I’m super tempted to buy it just because the price is right and it’s just going to get harder to find pieces like that.

Am I crazy buying an amp I don’t need???????!

8barlouie and AlbertaGriff like this.

2. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    It's called "investing" and/or "flipping"

Obsessed and nojazzhere like this.

3. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Holic

Dec 6, 2012
    Australia
    Ask yourself whether you might want one, and whether you'd ever be able to afford it in the future. Me, if I had the cash, I'd be on it. You shouldn't have any trouble moving it on later if you want rid of it.

4. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    I bought a Bassman head from a bud in a similar situation. I really didn't need it, but it was a good deal and it sounded great. I played it for a few years and sold it not so long ago for the same dollars I had in it. I was glad I did it. It was a good experience and I think every guitar player should own at least one Bassman during their lifetime.... As well as owning at least one good vintage-ish amp to really know what folks are talking about. (luckily I rarely deny myself and have owned a few now... But, that's another sad story! LOL)

If the money isn't planned for bills, and you have room in the playing space, I say go for it.

5. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

May 19, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    Today, unless you're a pro player doing arena tours, NOBODY NEEDS a Super Reverb. So that argument is moot. Yet, I have a 1966, so......

If you got the money, why not? I will say this, don't plan on "making money" selling it.if you buy it, do zero to it, and sell right away, you may make $1-200 depending on where you live and how cheap you get it. But if that's your plan(don't sound like it) don't really play it first, because if you do, you'll realize despite its size, weight, and crazy volume, it's the best mass produced amp ever made.

6. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Oct 1, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    Everyone has to own at least one SR. This sounds like a good amp at a great price. Supers still sound great at lower volumes and there not as heavy as others suggest (I own two Marshall combos that are much heavier).

If you can afford the amp, love Fender tone, I’d get the amp, especially at a good price, I would buy the amp.

Silver face drip-edge Fender amps with original BF circuits are harder to sell and don’t get top dollar because of the missing that BF faceplate.

Misinformed people’s loss is your gain.

Last edited: May 19, 2018

7. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

May 19, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    How "right" is the price? How long has he had it/How much history do you know? I'd look at the transformer codes regardless. I bought my '66 without really looking at those codes only to discover years later the power transformer was from 1971. It's the RIGHT one, still vintage, but really hurts the amps value. I don't really care though; gave me an excuse to mod the Normal channel. Now it's even better, half BFSR, half JTM45/tweed Bassman.

8. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    If it is all correct and the price is right, go for it. There is much that can be done with it, imho.

9. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

May 14, 2008
    Marion, NC
    YES! You are !

10. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

May 9, 2015
    Seekonk, MA
    No! You’re not crazy.

11. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Oct 1, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    Not crazy at all. Unless all of us on these Amp Forums are equally crazy.

12. LuthRavin

LuthRavin Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

May 28, 2011
    Eugene, Oregon
    As you can plainly see by my Avatar picture I too have a Super Reverb..everything is original to it but the appearance..which I really like..that's why I bought it..it's a late 64' early 65'. I use when I can and it does sing.. plus sounds great at lower volumes. Its awkward to carry but I can still pack it around..but mostly I'm using my smaller amps these days..VoxAC10..Deluxe ReverbRI..If I were you and needed to have a big Fender that would be it!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.