Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

DigiTech Trio+ Band Creator, DigiTech SDrum and others

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by El Tele Lobo, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Nov 3, 2003
    North Louisiana around Many
    Like VintageSG, I keep thinking Digitech will combine the features of the Trio+, JamMan and add some tools to make a comprehensive song building machine, but we're still waiting.

The Trio+ does have a count in feature on the sequencer. I build my songs on the Trio+ with a count in, record it on to my JamMan Stereo and then I can call it
    Up by program number up to 100 locations. Your led into each song with a four or three count in depending on time signatures. My best solution so far for live performance. Platefire

Richie-string and El Tele Lobo like this.

2. Couldn't agree more guys. i have looked at quite a number of these units recently of varying price points in the different ranges and then watched a few videos on how easy (or not) they were to work with. It did seem that with quite a few the potential they had for music creation was immense but also quite a learning curve, and also everyone seemed to entail a a few compromises in their useage. So some of them looked good but then looked a bit of hassle to work effectively.

I couldn't really make up my mind what would be the best model. Whether to go with one of the more involved models and have that steep learning curve or get a simpler one and master the basics and then move up to something better.

3. VintageSG

VintageSG Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Yorkshire
    The Trio+ count in feature could be implemented better. I want to set the count in and have it stay set!. As it stands, it's 'twiddle the knob to get the song, press and hold to get the count in'. Bah!. Humbug!.

Some tracks, it doesn't matter. Some, it's very useful. Some, it's the cliche of 'twiddly bit at slow pace, hang on the end note ONETWOTHREEFOUR! launch in to three chord thrash :) ' That count in is integral.
    I'd much prefer press and hold to set and have it stored, press and hold to forget. I really should dig the JamMan out, record it as a loop and set 'one-shot' playback. That's such a neat idea, plus it has a numeric display!. No more remembering which slot and part to select.

If Digitech added such features to a new, performance oriented Trio model, I'd beat their door down to get one.

4. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Nov 3, 2003
    North Louisiana around Many
    Yeah, I get you on count in. Some songs with extremely fast tempo, I prefer a two measure count in but the Trio+ gives you one no matter what.

I'm hoping that Digitech's delay in coming out with their next model Trio is that they are taking time to produce a full featured comprehensive song building machine in which I would be willing to wait for and pay the bucks if they truly deliver. Platefire

5. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

It doesn't look like the NAMM show meant a new version of these, or at least I am not seeing that on the DigiTech site or in their news links. Have other competitors cropped up or come out?

Having the original Trio and the simple JamMan Express XT, I keep wondering if there's a superior sync loop to drum machine feature with the +. I find I keep using the looper and the drum machine pedal separately. So separate that the looper is usually with my old school tube amp and the Trio with the Yamaha THR that has been such a great practice and at home item.

I'm not sure I'd go to the Trio+ if the looper by itself is not as dead simple and easy as my JamMan Express XT. The or a very simple looper by itself has its own redeeming value.

On the whole I'm a fan of this technology even though there are times when it is clearly imperfect or not exactly getting you perfect results. I did the firmware update and haven't figured out if it's a better product or if I just got better at using it but I am using the original pedal more. Now I'm onto thinking about forgetting the pedal board and maybe a Trio+ with my THR amp.

6. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Tele-Afflicted

Oct 11, 2009
    Canada

7. imwjl

That looks impressive but far from what might get me to spend money or change. For me it would be something easier and more convenient than my separate stomp boxes - the original Trio and that basic JamMan.

Maybe something like the Zoom that loops would be easier - the canned 68 or whatever they boast drum tracks

8. imwjl

With that I revisited my high end JamMan, a bunch of other products, did some house cleaning and a trade for the Trio+. With that I do see the argument some have to just get the +.

I’ll probably part with the original Trio and the JamMan Express and no regrets.

Those others pedals are truly great but in all honesty I might have used the Express XT with batteries 4-5 times. The Trio+ as looper only is simple and has 5 “parts” so you get something between a simple Express XT or Ditto and the fancy one I had.

There appears to be some smarts in the pedal so things are better synchronized than using the metronome with my former full-blown looper or separate looper and original Trio.

I did not trade my foot switch with the big JamMan and it has slightly different function with the + vs original.

One other nice change is using a cheap acoustic amp I had with the setup. The guitar out to a desktop amp like the THR is fine. Using the pedal’s separate output with acoustic amp next to my Princeton Reverb is a much better sonic experience. No matter what one Trio you have be aware of the sound output choices. The band in a box aspect is way more appealing than a metronome or drums and cymbals at guitar speaker fidelity.

In ways this is still imperfect technology or a product some won’t like if they don’t take a little time to learn it but on the whole, it and the iPhone Music Memos app are what I wish existed long ago when I first looked into other technology to aid practice and at home playing.

By imperfect I mean it’s not a mind reader. You have to “train” it with a simple progression and most of the time follow that with making sure the dials for genre, style and tempo suit you.

As much as I see why some say just buy the Trio+, the original and simple loopers are superb things to have too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.