Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

DigiTech Trio+ Band Creator, DigiTech SDrum and others

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by El Tele Lobo, Sep 27, 2017.

1. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Tele-Afflicted

Oct 21, 2014
    Florida
    Looking to make basic drum beats from my guitar, without too much shoegazing or extensive manual study/engineering degrees. Anyone use one of these or a similar counterpart?

2. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Friend of Leo's

Oct 9, 2008
    S. CA
    I have a trio+ pedal that I really, really like. However It's been temporarily replaced with iRealPro. I only use it for practice. I'd consider taking an offer if interested. PM me if so.

3. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Nov 3, 2003
    North Louisiana around Many
    I also use the Trio + but it does have a bit of learning curve depending on your
    Comprehension how fast you can pick up on it. Took a little studying to get myself up to speed. Once you get a handle on it, pretty cool Jamming tool. Platefire

4. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    Trio ver1 was too much..also, the dynamics of drum not as good as other .
    I ended up with beat buddy. pretty easy..good presets.
    imho

5. El Tele Lobo

Oct 21, 2014
    Florida
    Thanks guys! Keep them coming.

6. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Aug 29, 2007
    MV, CA
    The trio+ takes me to places I wouldn't have thought of. Sometimes I don't want to go there. I like it for practice but song construction is a bit arduous. You can make it work but you have to learn how to think on it's terms. For actually making tracks, I use Superior Drummer 3 now.

As a practice tool it's really helpful.

7. El Tele Lobo

Oct 21, 2014
    Florida
    What do you guys think of the Trio+ for ambient improvisational stuff and coming up with stuff on the fly?

8. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Yup, Trio+. I come from a looping background when I got mine, so there is a learning curve to be aware of.

9. Papapotrero

Papapotrero TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2017
    Wayne, Pa
    I posted a review of the sdrum along with a jamman. The sdrum is really really incredible. The jamsync function to synchronize with your looper (no more drifting loop vs drums) is genius. It is a little pricey right now because of how new it is, but I can't imagine anyone having a negative review of this thing. Make sure you have a jamsync digitech looper to go with it to get the most of it (although just drums is perfectly cool, too).

10. doolbon

doolbon TDPRI Member

Sep 21, 2014
    california
    I agree 100%

11. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Nov 3, 2003
    North Louisiana around Many
    The Trio plus can be good if your willing to accept the closest thing it can produce of what you envisioned. Sometimes can be right on the money, other times, not quite there. I have found some super slow 4/4 timing it will not track the cord progressions on at all. I had to change the timing to 3/4 time to get the cord progression to work, but the change in time signatures messed up the feel of the song. So some things just don't work. Also it don't do stops or decent endings, forget it.

This is using it to build back up tracks but just using it as a jam buddy these issues wouldn't be as much of an issue. Platefire

Richie-string and El Tele Lobo like this.

12. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Holic

Jun 25, 2016
    Midwest, USA
    When the trio was new out, I was amazed and GAS'ed for one. But I thought... My DAW was a lot cheaper. It does exactly what I do. I have a Ditto X4 that I'm really happy with anyway.

Richie-string likes this.

13. VintageSG

VintageSG Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Huddersfield, UK
    I'm waiting for Digitech to merge the technologies into one large box similar to the big JamMan, with a display for song number so I'm not reaching down, twin loopers that can be stopped and started independently and an 'ending' button. Being able to put a count-in for some songs would be useful too.
    The Trio+ is a fantastic piece of equipment that can store an entire set. Remembering which LED combination denotes which song is not so easy.
    We live in interesting times.

14. El Tele Lobo

Oct 21, 2014
    Florida
    I have a lot of research left to do on this and I'm just getting started. But all of your feedback really helps. Keep it coming!

15. jimd

jimd Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nov 3, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Boss RC-3 looper has a few basic beats. It also has 99 memory locations to store backing tracks or drum beats. Just another alternative.

16. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

I prefer the Zoom G1on, drum tracks, looper, and 50 guitar presets $50 new . . . . .

Richie-string and Staypuft1652 like this.

17. Boil

Boil Tele-Meister

Oct 30, 2011
    B.C.
    if you want a drum machine the Beat Buddy is pretty good. The Trio is a lot of fun but its not a drum machine, its designed to accompany you on the fly.
    I also have an Alexis SR 18, I think the Beat Buddy is better.

I did have a Digitech RP250 that had a few basic drum beats in it and also made a whole pile of cool unusable guitar noises, you can get those pretty cheap these days.

18. Tobias

Tobias Tele-Meister

Dec 2, 2015
    Amersfoort
    I have the old trio (w hardware update) and a boss rc-3. I can make songs with it, but I have to accept it as co-creator ;). Takes more effort than just using the rc-3, but the drums from the trio definitely make it feel more like a real song.

19. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Holic

Apr 19, 2014
    SATX
    Like others here, I use the older Trio with the latest firmware update. I don't use it for any kind of performance, etc. but it is brain dead simple to just get a beat and bass line going to drop a loop on and noodle over. If you just listen to the "drums" or the "bass" on their own, they sound pretty synthetic, but it's a lot more fun to practice with than a metronome.

20. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Tele-Afflicted

Oct 11, 2009
    Canada
    I owned, but recently sold the Trio+ in anticipation of the next newest thing. I guess this is SDrum? I didn't like that you couldn't import WAV files into the Trio. The next best thing on the market right now is the mighty Boss RC-300. But that's a commitment. I am curious to hear other suggestions.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.