Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Digitech RP Pedals best models

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by CHUCKHDTV, Apr 15, 2013.

1. CHUCKHDTV

CHUCKHDTV Tele-Holic

Feb 6, 2013
    Montreal
    I just got an RP355. I was wondering what's your favorite models in there, amps and effects.

2. EZchair Picker

EZchair Picker Tele-Meister

Feb 12, 2008
    Between the lines
    I have a RP500, but both the RP355 and 500 share a lot of similar models.

My basic clean tone is Fender Twin. I like using the TS9 tube screamer, rat and redline od/distortion pedals with it.

I love clean vox tones, but don't like the vox models they have. I found the matchless to be a great alternative.

For distortion sounds, my favorite is the JCM800 with the TS9 tube screamer pushing it.

The soldano is nice for a more modern sounding distortion settings.

Each of the compressors is different and I use all of them depending on which one works the best for the patch. Being honest, I'm not completely happy with any of them and wish there was more to choose from.

For effects, I like it pretty simple and only use "phaser" and "chorus" (Not sure what models those are).

I use the analog delay for clean patches and the digital delay (with ducking) for the heavier distorted patches.

Spring reverb is the only reverb I like and usually only have the level set between 5-8 (out of 100) unless I want to do a surf sound.

As for the EQ, I normally end up cutting some lows and highs while boosting up the mids quite a bit. Just focus on what you hear and don't worry about how funny a particular setting may look by the numbers.

Hope this helps! :)

3. CHUCKHDTV

CHUCKHDTV Tele-Holic

Feb 6, 2013
    Montreal
    Thanks, there's so much choice, I don't know where to start. And most presets have way too much distortion to be usefull.

I 've played a bit with the BF twin but there's something I don't like in that reverb.

4. EZchair Picker

EZchair Picker Tele-Meister

Feb 12, 2008
    Between the lines
    Best thing I did was to ditch the presets and start building my own patches. Much better results and sounds!

5. foundjoe

foundjoe Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2013
    Kansas
    Noticeably, most of the presets are oriented toward high-gain sounds, and while the metal sounds can be pretty good, it's not always my bag of tea. I was using my RP255 primarily as a recording device and monitoring it through the computer speakers, which is okay, but not that great. I also have used it in front of my tube amp, but really didn't like the sounds at all. Somehow it loses the character and sounds flat.

Later, I was reading all these good reviews of Fender Mustang amps and wondered how you could get good modeling sounds through a solid-state amp, so I thought, maybe I should try the my RP255 in front of a solid state amp. All of a sudden this thing started to sound pretty good. I took several of the amp models, turned off the effects and rolled the gain down to where it cleaned up, and voila, you can really start to hear the character of the amps that are being modeled.

Going a step further, I re-discovered an old no-name battery-powered mini amp that I've had for 30 years and thought I'd see how the RP255 sounded in front of that. Surprisingly, it wasn't too bad. Then I got this idea of what might happen if you try to drive a larger speaker with the mini-amp's output, and all of a sudden this combination started to sound amazingly close to a real tube amp with the characteristics of the modeled amps. Here's a video clip to give a little bit of an idea of how it sounds. The Digitech models are the '57 Deluxe (tweed), Twin Reverb and Deluxe Reverb (the latter two are supposed to be modeled after the 1965 models).

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013

6. TieDyedDevil

TieDyedDevil Tele-Holic

Sep 8, 2006
    Portland, OR
    I had an RP300 and replaced it with an RP355. That was a while ago. I still have the RP355.

I remember having the impression that the presets on the RP355 skewed slightly more to to the blues and classic rock crowd than on the RP300.

There were easily ten or so presets on the RP355 that I'd use without change. RAINY was one of them.

7. PK55

PK55 TDPRI Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Central Cal
    I have had the 500 for a couple years and have used it with lots of different amps....no matter what pre-sets I set up on the CPU they never quite sounded the same through the different amps because of the individual amps pre amp section. Now I run it through a tech 21 power cab and the 500 serves as the pre-amp and amp models with effects...sounds great!

8. Anchoret

Anchoret Friend of Leo's

Sep 18, 2004
    California
    I bought an RP500 for one specific expression-pedal effect, the Whammy/Harmonizer, only to find out that the firmware was buggy on this effect so it would not work correctly. Known issue, DigiTech knows about it and has no intention of fixing it because it's not worth the expense with a product at the end of its marketing cycle. :mad:

Basically, I find the FP series (and hardware modelers in general) to be crap. Nearly any VST is better.

9. Anchoret

Anchoret Friend of Leo's

Sep 18, 2004
    California
    All the current RP series has the same AudioDNA2 chip, just more/less enabled/crippled in the particular model.

Frankly, I never found any of the modeled amps or modeled analog effects to be useful or the least bit convincing. I have a lot of the actual amps and effects it's supposedly "modeling," and the RP*s sound absolutely nothing like the real things, even with a lot of fiddling in X-Edit. I wonder what this "modeling" is even based on besides aggressive marketing.

The proprietary DigiTech digital effect models are more convincing as they are usually running off the same engine as in the standalone units, just with less settings enabled.

I got my RP500 for direct-in recording, and considering the firmware problems screwing up the very limited use to which I intended to put it (see previous message), it's been pretty much a total waste of money. :rolleyes:

10. Twangbanger 59

Twangbanger 59 TDPRI Member

May 17, 2013
    Woonsocket, R.I.
    I've been using a RP-50 for the last 12 years now . Never had any problems with it and have used it at many gigs with no issues whatsoever ! I call it my magic box. LOL.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.